Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: can i stop  (Read 2875 times)

nando

can i stop
« on: November 23, 2015, 11:25:25 AM »

Hi I have been taking elleste solo for almost 3 month and iam putting weight on  >:( can I just stop taking them
or do I need to see my doctor again (who never wanted me to take them in the first place) and if I stop will I lose the weight I have
put on thank you

Hurdity

Re: can i stop
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:03:04 PM »

Hi nando

Besides the negative aspects of weight gain, how is the oestrogen dealing with your symptoms? If you are feeling generally better then perhaps it might be better to change to an oestrogen patch or gel which don't have to be metabolised by the liver - which might make a difference? It is advisable to take oestrogen at least until the natural average age of menopause of 51-52 to help protect heart and bones so if you are still under this age it is worth persevering!

There are mixed views on weight gain, menopause and HRT and some of it is disucssed on this site here:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php and here: http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/sideeffects.php

It is important at menopause anyway to adjust your diet and portion size, as well as increase exercise as metabolism slows.

I would go back to your doctor and ask to change to a patch or gel - the different types are here (http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/treatafter.php) especially if you are feeling generally better.

Hope this helps :)

Hurdity x

nando

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Thanks for your reply Iam 49 the only difference is I don't get the sweats & flushes still have trouble sleeping ,mood swings, sore bones still very dry down below
and that is with using ovestin too :( I have never been a big eater if I have breakfast that does till the evening if I don't have breakfast I eat at lunch time I have an appointment for next week so I wil see what she says

thank you for the information  :)

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 01:03:48 PM »

Hi nando,

You may find you feel better and put on less weight if you have 3 to 4 meals a day, but smaller portions and of course, a sensible low sugar/ fat diet, full of veg. This will help keep your energy levels even. Don't eat after 8.00pm and do try to eat breakfast, even if you don't feel like it. You are more likely to eat more later if you don't . Breakfast is a good name for that meal as you are breaking the fast of the night and to extend that to lunch time is not kind to your body. My gynaecologist advised me to have an egg for breakfast, which I do and it does make a difference. You are at the age when you are more likely to put on weight. I did without HRT, ( 2 1/2 st overweight at your age) but I am the weight I should be now, even though I am now on HRT, by eating smaller portions regularly and not eating rubbishy foods ( well I do have the odd naughty treat!  ;) )

Cassie

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:23:35 PM »

Cut down on your carbs and all sugar and you will lose weight beautifully.

Mary G

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 05:52:29 PM »

I completely agree with Hurdity and would recommend you change to gel or patch. 

I put on weight when I took the oral oestrogen but didn't gain any when I used patch or gel.  I would not recommend stopping HRT, you will probably get a return of your symptoms and at only 49, it would mean too many years without oestrogen which could lead to problems in later life. 

I think you will find that transdermal oestrogen works much better at relieving your symptoms - it sounds like your current medication is not working very well.