Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: A) Do patches really work? B) Should I bother if symptoms are questionable??  (Read 3253 times)

mrspinkrat

Hi all
I'm 18 months without a period but had a heavy bleed about a month ago which has all been checked out and thankfully all is well. Because I'm only 45 my GP has (finally) offered HRT. I'm not happy taking an oral pill and am considering the patches but wonder (in my HRT ignorance) if they actually work? I can understand a tablet 'getting into your system' but can't really understand how a patch could do that! Sorry to be a bit dumb 😳 :-\
Also - although I don't have symptoms that have ever been attributed to the menopause by my GP, I have not been myself for a good two years. My main problem is joint pain - Achilles' tendons, elbows, hands and ribs. Over the past two years I have also developed an underactive thyroid, tinnitus, had a terrible taste in my mouth and have put on a lot of weight  :( Does anyone think any of these symptoms could be meno related? I'm on levothyroxine and it's not made any difference to how I feel! I'm unsure about taking another form of medication if it's not actually going to help me in any way :( My GP says I should to protect my bones as I'm relatively young. Also, what  if I'm not actually in the menopause? What if the bleed I had a month ago is my periods starting up again for some bizarre reason??
Help!! I'm SO confused...
Sorry so many question!

Taz2

Hi mrspinkrat - yes the patches do work! The hormones are contained in the adhesive and so are absorbed straight into your bloodstream. This means that they bypass the liver and are much less likely to cause digestive upsets. Before starting my HRT patches I was suffering drenching sweats every twenty minutes and they stopped within forty eight hours of the patch being applied. It should sort out the night sweats you were suffering from a while back. Your GP is right that HRT at your age will help to protect your heart and bones up to the usual age of meno which is around 50/51. At that time you would normally be encouraged to stop your HRT just to see whether you have any menopausal symptoms. If you are still suffering then you could restart HRT as long as your overall health was good.

The aches and pains are a common symptom of low oestrogen and, in my case, they disappear when I am on HRT so hopefully this will be the same for you. Have you seen your dentist about the terrible taste? Meno can cause a strange taste but, also, anaemia can also give rise to an odd taste too. I don't know anything about thyroid problems - sorry.

Taz x

Hurdity

Hi mrspinkrat

Glad all is well re the investigations - but do try not to worry!

Yes patches do work otherwise they couldn't be prescribed through NHS! The oestrogen is contained in the adhesive on the patch and is absorbed continuously straight into your skin and into your bloodstream. I tablet has to be digested and then it goes through your liver to be metabolised and has a slightly different effect this way .

I have read that if you are on thyroid medication, because of the liver effect, oral oestrogen interferes more with thyroid medication so can need some adjustment. As far as I understand this doesn't happen with patch HRT although there may still be some interaction.

If your thyroxine is not working at all can you ask to be referred - I think my friend who has a thyroid problem needs to take T3 or something because doesn't levo T need to be converted into T3 in the body? She has a problem with this. Joint pain is a symptom of thyroid deficiency and menopause. Can you increase your dose and/or ask to be referred to an endocrinologist - do you feel fatigued and cold? If you are still putting on weight despite being on levoT (rather than stabilising since starting the meds) then that implies the dose isn't right.

Perhpas you could try to get referral for the thyroid and wait a couple of months before starting the HRT to see if your periods start up again. If they don't then yes start some HRT. All the information about patches can be found under Treatments/HRT preparations in the top menu but do ask if you have any more specific questions.

Oestrogen replacement is not medication as such - it is just replacing a hormones that most women should have at least until age 51 or 52 naturally. You do need a progestogen though so the combi patches do have this as well, or you can take separate oestrogen and progesterone.

Hurdity x

Edit - sorry Taz I must have pressed send just after you did and have repeated what you said!!!

Taz2

That's ok !  ;D

Taz x

dazned

If it were me I would definitely get refered to an endocrinologist first and get my thyroid problems stabilized first before starting hrt. My friend has to take thyroxine and despite her hrt being in patch form which as others have said is more favourable in these cases she frequently has to adjust her dose of thyroxine as for her there is interaction between the two.

ellie66

The is also oestrogen gel instead of patches which I love. I use Oestrogel but there is Sandrena gel too.

mrspinkrat

Thank you ladies - that's all so helpful!!
I'll let you know how it all goes 👍🏻😊

Goosieloosie

Hi there, I started Hrt patches for the very first time almost a month ago and within less than 48 hours I noticed a difference! The 2nd night after I first applied the patch i didn't need my bedside fan on at all!! So yes they do most definitely work! I am feeling so much better, I am never hot or flushy at all now and sleep so well for the first time in years  :)