Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: magnesium  (Read 3160 times)

Dandelion

magnesium
« on: November 17, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »

I thought I was already tkaing enough magnesium, as i take one at night to help me off to sleep.
It wasn't until I studied magnesium at great length and reaslised that I wasn't getting nearly enough magnesium in my body.
Most of the supplements only provide a little, when you take into account the amount of elemental magnesium in a preparation, and also the bioavailability of each type of magnesium.
Ive heard a lot of people say it doesn't work, and I was one of them, until I realised women need over 300mgs a day of magnesium to feel any benefits.
I've now got a big bottle of epsom salts so that I can bathe in it, and I have also got some magnesium oil, plus some magnesium chhoride capsules as they reach the body better.
Some women have even got rid of their menopause symptoms without hrt, by proper use of magnesium.
I did try this and it did get rid of my flushes, before my hrt started working properly, but i guess I wasn't using enough as they came back.
So, if any ladies on here get greif from their doctors about them wanting to take you off hrt, and refusing to give them more. If you cannot be bothered fighting with your doctor, please try magnesium, but make sure you get a good one, and perhaps some oil as well.
The oil may stinig, but that means you are deficent in it.
Apparently 75-80% of people are deficient, what with processed foods, over farmed soils, etc etc
If this post helps one future menopausal woman, looking for an alternative to hrt, to stop their suffering, then it will have been worthwhile, but I have a feeling it will help loads.

Briony

Re: magnesium
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:42:02 PM »

Interesting post - thank you. Could be worth mentioning it in the new, non hrt section too?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:18 PM »

Check your diet too!  I have in the past taken hi-dose magnesium to rid me of an irritating cough which was present for over 3 months (in the 1990s).  [Note to self, start it again!].  Otherwise ……….

As for Epsom salts, one would have to bathe for hours in order for any uptake  ;) however; a warm soothing bath is good for us, my maternal Gran swore by Epsom salts - as well as mustard foot baths when we were tired.  They didn't have access to much else  ::)

Too much magnesium however will cause diahorrea …… (sp)  ;)

Dandelion

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »

Interesting post - thank you. Could be worth mentioning it in the new, non hrt section too?
Hi and thanks, where is this please

Briony

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »

I got the wording wrong - it's 'Alternative Therapies' (look in main menu) x

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »

As for Epsom salts, one would have to bathe for hours in order for any uptake  ;) however; a warm soothing bath is good for us

We may not absorb it in the sense you mean, but it can still have a great benefit on skin.  Mine is much less dry after Epsom Salt baths than normal baths and I also found it eased vaginal discomfort a little, though I've heard other MM members say it made theirs worse.  I also find it eases the muscle cramps and joint pain much better than a plain water bath.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 08:15:06 PM »

I think that is what Granma suggested Dorothy.  Then along came Radox ……..  ::) ………. I remember rubbing meths onto the soles of my feet to harden skin prior to sponsored walks too.  Then having a mustard footpath after …...

dazned

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »

A mustard footpath !!!!!!! !     ;D

LW44

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 12:17:49 PM »

I take 2x 300mg of magnesium and calcium... yet to notice a difference, been taking for about 6 weeks, i also take vit d and primrose/starflower x