Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3017 times)

Katgee

« on: November 16, 2015, 06:45:34 PM »

Hi All,
Today I had the result of my 2nd blood test and was confirmed post men.
I'm 47 this week and mother of twins. I have a merena coil fitted (3rd one) which
Is due for removal 2016. I haven't had bleed for ages/ years in fact. I would reall
like to have the coil removed, just so I can have my body back but just unsure of
What to expect. I've gained a good stone in weight of in the past year or :-\ so,but
exercise regularly so can put that down to peri men. I still get very hot ( esp night)
and foggy head on and off throughout the day. Would welcome any views. :-\

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 07:15:14 PM »

:welcomemm:

Browse round.  Make notes.  Can you tell us why you were fitted with the Mirena?  I'm sure that someone will be along with more useful advice and there is a 'search' button ……. as well as a funny room.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 07:19:05 PM »

Hi and welcome to MM Katgee
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  At 47 you are still too young to be without oestrogen so I hope your GP has discussed putting you on HRT.  If you have found the Mirena OK then you can simply add some oestrogen as either gel or a patch and this will help prevent osteoporosis, vaginal and bladder problems and help reduce flushes etc.
Keep us posted about your progress.  DG x

Katgee

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »

Morning Ladies.
Thank you for your replies.This is a great site and will certainly explore all topics.
I had the coil fitted after having my twins(yr 2000),I knew I didn't want any more children and didn't want to be taking pill everyday and had very heavy periods.
I have an appointment booked with GP in a couple of weeks to discuss the options.My thoughts of having coil removed are just based on " if I don't need it" although I do understand the need for oestrogen at my age still.
Although overall, the coil has been fine for me, I have had depression over the past 7 or so yrs and am on Citalopram 10mg,have also had quite bad acne and weight gain .I've read stories where people have blamed the coil for the same things.So am  interested to see if any of these symptoms will change if coil removed (when due in 2016) and see if hrt or an alternative is the way forward for me.
 ::)

Dancinggirl

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 01:14:58 PM »

Katgee
If you do decide to have the Mirena removed and try an HRt then Femoston 1/10 may be a good one to try first as the progesterone is kinder and may well help with mood and your skin etc. I always suffered with spots and I find oestrogen has improved this. DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 03:12:17 PM »

Hi Katgee

:welcomemm: from me too!

Interesting what you say about the Mirena - it does suit some women and not others. Also the Citalopram as well I think is also used as an alternative to HRT for hot flushes etc for women who cannot take HRT, so it may well be masking your menopausal symptoms - so with both of these it is difficult to tell where you are in menopause - because normally in the absence of bleeding ( due to Mirena or hysterectomy) it is the symptoms of flushes and sweats which alerts a woman to the fact that she is becoming menopausal.

I can see why you would want to have it removed - firstly to see if it is responsible for your depression (although depression and anxiety can also start at peri-menopause due to hormonal surges and especially low oestrogen) and also to see just what your body is doing.

You could wait a few months and see whether you do start bleeding again and take it from there. I agree with Dancinggirl that Femoston is a good HRT to start with - if you find that you bleeds are now very light or sporadic.

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 04:26:50 PM »

Depression shouldn't be ignored.  How were you after delivery of the twins?

Katgee

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 10:11:03 AM »

Hello again,
Thanks DG, have been browsing at HRt....wouldn't have even known where to start.
Ref my depression CLKD, had the twins by CS, (2000),don't think I was PND, first went on ad in 2007(around the loss of my dog  :'( ) then weaned off in 2011.Started to take them again just about a year ago now. So interestingly, this could be in relation to the menopause I suppose.
And Hurdity, yeah , I just feel I would like to see how I'd feel "coil free". I take on board what you say about symptoms being masked but wondered if that would influence my blood test (confirming Post Men) ?
 After my 1st blood came back as pm I had a brief chat with my GP, she suggested that she would leave the coil in until I was 50 then remove it to be more assured that I was "bleed free". But when I said I was hoping to have it out she said that she could do that and follow it with further blood tests.
I'm thinking that that's the route I wish to take. With regards to having no contraception....just in case of any "hanky panky" (fat chance right now btw....would rather stick pins in my eyes. totally not in the mood ;D) We'll deal with that when it arises ;) .
Thanks again for your replies.xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 10:38:15 AM »

The women doesn't always have to take responsibility for contraception - condoms are still a good form of protection.  DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 12:33:40 PM »

Katgee - if you are asking whether Citalopram will mask the reuslts of the FSH blood test - then I can't answer that but I wouldn't have thought so - FSH is influenced I understand by oestrogen and progesterone.

I know what you mean about the hanky-panky  ::). However if it's just the libido that has declined but there is still a good response then that's something to be thankful for :)

Hurdity x