Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Anyone been on the combined contraceptive pill until late?  (Read 1999 times)

Grizzler

Anyone been on the combined contraceptive pill until late?
« on: November 13, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »

I was on it pretty much ages 16-50, no problems (Marvelon for the last decade at least). Suited me for many reasons. Never had kids, if that's relevant.
Came off the pill and, perhaps not entirely unexpectedly, my 'natural' cycle's never come back. Now, even though was on 14 out of 28 day progestin (MPA) as part of HRT, there's no withdrawal bleed, no feelings or pains or related changes noted. Did have some minor discharge/spotting last year (and investigations and a polyp removed) but that was progesterone-contraceptive related. Have now stopped HRT for a couple of months and so far nothing's happened either.
So I just wonder: have the years of artificial hormones just made my natural ones go to sleep permanently (though there's certainly some menopausal symptoms going on, I can tell you - not to mention spots - and they were there for the latter several years whilst I was on the pill, too). Will things eventually come back for a while (with or without HRT if I stay on that)? Have the poor things just given up entirely in utter confusion at all the differnt chemicals which I'm trying to throw into my body? (Oh, hang on, that's my utterly-confused head, too!   :) ) Have I already had an early(ish) menopause?
Makes me laugh when any well-meaning clinician enquires when my last period was... ::) And then they ask if I'm in the menopause yet. Um.....?
Anyone else had similar exeriences or have any knowledge to add?
Cheers for now.

dahliagirl

Re: Anyone been on the combined contraceptive pill until late?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 02:06:14 PM »

I have been on a combined pill from 21 - 49, with breaks to have children and breastfeed (pop) - so two lots of 2 years.

I tried pop briefly, which did not suit my constipation and vaginal issues, and my periods came back after a few weeks. I seem to have anovulatory 'cycles' with lots of frequent breakthrough/withdrawal bleeding.  So hormones are definitely not put to sleep, but very random.

I am on hrt now and the bleeding is every 4 weeks, as expected.

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 02:17:29 PM »

Wondered if my GP's advice to me might be helpful.  I started peri symptoms at 35 - now 40 - and am on BCP which GP advises to continue until age 50; she says if I come off it at this age I am very unlikely to ever have another period.  As that would be 15 years since getting my first meno symptoms, she says if I'm fortunate, I will be over my meno symptoms by then - although there is no guarantee!  She said some lucky women who have been on BCP long term never even realise they've been through the menopause; their periods never come back after stopping at 50 and they don't get any symptoms!

Are you getting any symptoms now?

dahliagirl

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 02:31:50 PM »

I had night sweats that got much worse during the last 4 years on coc, and my itchy dry vaginal problems started then.  I also had to drink loads during the week off to avoid oestrogen withdrawal headaches, which are painful.  I did have a sense of relief when I started up again after the week off. I was quite happy on the pill, the problems came gradually so I could deal with them but I did feel I had had enough of it.

After I came off, the night sweats went, and the headaches  :) but the random bleeds started and so did waking up with aching joints, also randomly.  I complicated things by having a small prolapse op, then had loads of infection/thrush problems which did not show up on swabs, and went to some extent with vagifem.

I expected my periods to be near the end, as one grandmother was 50 and the other 51 (don't know about my mother but I think it was around 47 - 51) After 2 years, I went on hrt for the other issues and the bleeds are settled.  When I look things up about stages, they say I am at 'early perimenopause'  ::)

Grizzler

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 04:00:39 PM »

Thanks ladies.
With hindsight I definitely was having peri symptoms for several years prior to coming off the pill (maybe as much as 10 years?)- in my case it was mainly muscle pains & stiffness and very significant negative moods, stress, anxiety etc. Then just before I stopped there was a good spate of VA/cystitis. I never had any classic symptoms like flushes; but then again I've never had PMS or other problems either and very little pain issues or bleed issues. I did notice my bleeding whilst on the pill going into a heavy/clotty then light then light type of cycle for a few years - then I went onto running 2 or 3 months of pill into one to minimise the non-pill time (because it was helping so much with the muscle stiffness, pains and headaches which I suffered very badly from, partly hormonal maybe and partly a physical health issue or injury).

I went onto HRT straight away after I came off the pill and it's only when stopping that recently that I've really had hot flushes, night sweats and utterly not being able to sleep (plus mood and muscle/pain issues came back too).

In terms of overall symptoms I was much happier on the HRT than the pill (and think that I'm going back onto it pretty soon if I can). I just find the lack of periods or predictable withdrawal bleeds on the HRT to be odd - as do doctors. I guess that it's welcome, although it really does bring it home that I'm 'maturng' now  :-\ - and a lot of other things besides!)