Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: NICE Guideline on the diagnosis and management of the menopause  (Read 2406 times)

Jenna

dahliagirl

Re: NICE Guideline on the diagnosis and management of the menopause
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 09:58:02 AM »

I heard a brief mention on the news on R2 this morning.

There is a request from Emma for people who want to be filmed - I am sitting here in my dressing gown with my house in a tip around me, so probably not the best candidate  ::)

I have had a quick read - they are as expected and seem to be sensible and straightforward to me.  I hope they will be used properly.

ancient runner

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 10:27:17 AM »

Yes, I thought about the request but so far my issues are mostly of VA and I'm not sure how relevant that is to the wider HRT discussion. Also, don't fancy being known far and wide as the woman with a sore fanny.  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »

Lol!  ;D
I've just had a quick look. The guidelines are more or less the same as the draft ones in terms of the main recommendations. There is no mention of time limit for HRT at all as far as I can make out (as with the Draft guidelines), nor any distinction made between types of HRT in the recommendations - although the current knowledge about risk data is recognised (eg oral slightly more risk than transdermal for stroke, VTE). However in the research recommendations there is recognition of this - that more work needs to be done on some specific risks associated with for example oral vs transdermal oestrogen, and between synthetic progestogens and progesterone. There is also recognition that a communications campaign and other measures are necessary to improve knowledge amongst healthcare professionals, and there will be work both to modify some of the Summary of Product Characteristics warnings on ovarian cancer risk (standard on all prescribing info), as well as to incorporate the latest info in relevant medical curricula.  :)

Hurdity x

ancient runner

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 11:03:36 AM »

There was an interview on the Today programme with a Prof from Scotland who's led on this for NICE. Interviewer wasn't great - would have been good had she asked (anything) about the difference between the HRT commonly used at the time of the MWS and that which is available now.
Allison Pearson has also written a first person piece in the D Tel and the story is their splash.