Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: BCP in perimenopause  (Read 12124 times)

Chocolatechaos

BCP in perimenopause
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:49:31 PM »

I am considering bcp for my perimenopause symptoms as hrt doesn't fully control them. I have recently increased to 75mg evorel sequi to help but I still get the jitters in the morning and the anxiety. Maybe these symptoms are here to stay as I was told that "once anxious, always anxious". I have lost confidence in myself with all of the menopausal symptoms which hasn't helped. Anyway will the pill help rather than hrt? Does anyone have a link to the table showing oestrogen or progesterone dominance?  I am now 42 so a spring chicken really!

GypsyRoseLee

Re: BCP in perimenopause
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:49:31 PM »

I disagree that 'once anxious, always anxious'. I suffered terribly with anxiety and feelings of inexplicable dread and panic when I had PND years ago. After treatment and the healing passage of time I made a 100% recovery and never experienced anymore anxiety/dread for over 10 years.

Then my peri menopause began, and all those nearly forgotten feelings of anxiety/dread came back with a vengence.

I have found the BCP to be far more successful at controlling the mood swings and anxiety, than HRT was. HRT contains much weaker oestrogen than the BCP. Not many people realise that (I had no idea).

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:50:32 PM »

Just wanted to say hi, I'm in the same position as you and I found HRT just wasn't doing enough. I recently tried Yaz but stopped after 11 days (see my Yaz diary ) I'm now trying Qlaira. There a re a few of us on BCP
Good luck  :)

Dorothy

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 10:52:42 PM »

I can't remember who shared the link but it is in one of the recent BCP topics.

I've found the BCP is brilliant (I'm 40) although I do tend to 'crash' within 48 hours of starting my pill break, so I am currently experimenting (by GP's advice) with running pill packs together and adjusting the time and length of the break between packs so that I have fewer bad days and I can plan when they come.  Much better than not being on it at all though!  I really notice the difference, especially with hot flushes - they are really bad for a couple of days on my break, but just a feeling of 'warmth' when I'm taking the pill.

My GP says that BCP is much better for women in peri as HRT is not strong enough to deal with the extreme fluctuations in hormones experienced at this time. Hope you manage to find a solution soon!

Briony

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »

I think it's the Avon Pill Ladder you're referring to? If you search on here, or Google, you'll find it.

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:14:15 AM »

Yes the Avon ladder. Thank you I will check that over before my gp review today. I will see how I get on.......

Chi chi

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »

Let us know how you get on 😊👍🏽

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:49:06 PM »

I have seen my gp today and we discussed my options of upping my hrt patch or bcp. I have opted for the later and have been given gedarel 20/150 so a low dose bcp. I can start whenever so have done that tonight. Now slightly worried about how this will work out. I was improved with hrt but symptoms were not fully controlled. I find it slightly scary to leap into the unknown which of course may be the best treatment for me. Well we will see! Thank you all for your comments, very helpful.

Dorothy

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 09:45:42 PM »

Hope it works for you.  Let us know how you get on.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »

Keeping my fingers crossed for you too.

I am on Gederal 30/150 so the stronger dose to you. But my hormones were so chaotic, with massive mood swings. HRT barely scraped the surface.

Briony

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 06:16:15 PM »

Will be really interested to hear how you get on Chocolatechaos. I am on the same pill as GRL, 1mg more estrogen than what you're on. My body's response so far has not be as positive as GRL's, so I will be interested to hear how you get on with a slightly lower dose of the same type of hormones.

To anyone considering the BCP, this may be of interest. It was from Dr Annie Evan's FB page and contains slightly different info from the Avon Pill Ladder.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/bd2962_03c990a85f144c28b75c1a975a1bb94b.pdf

Chocolatechaos

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2015, 07:24:34 PM »

Thank you Briony for that link. The one i am on now is the same as when I was younger which suited me then. I took my first pill on Thursday evening. Friday morning brought me nausea which lasted til lunchtime. My mood was better and I felt less anxious at work all day which is a first! Today is day 2 and I woke up feeling fine, no nausea and generally an ok mood. I am interested to see if my ibs symptoms improve on the bcp. They have come on in the last few years so i have cut out lactose and caffeine. I understand that oestrogen can have an affect on bowel function amongst many areas! I guess the next few weeks will tell.

Grizzler

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 11:59:19 AM »

I was on Marvelon (combined pill) for many, many years (and others before that) and I found that it helped various symptoms which I had, primarily muscle stiffness and pain but also mods, stress, anxiety etc. Definitely were worse on the 'off' week.
I'm pretty sure that I was peri from my early 40s, perhaps early meno. I ended up taking it continuously for 2 or 3 months straight before having a break. It seemed to suit me fine. I didn't knowingly have PMS, certainly not until very late in my 40s and then only mild, I think (it was just psychological symptoms all the time! - but I don't think that was pill-related)
I stopped the pill at 50 and went onto Oestrogel HRT (+ MPA progestin) - at first a high dose but once I stopped the progesterone contraception side then I got it very low. Progesterone pill also prescribed for contraception, then tried the Mirena coil: neither suited me at all and caused all bad symptoms to come back.
Personally, for me, the HRT is much, much better at controlling all sorts of symptoms than the pill. On the pill I had really bad moods, severe stress, depression, anxiety and the works, plus cystitis/VA, fatigue, muscle (etc) problems and lots of other things (not sweats/flushes though). Once I went onto the HRT I wondered why I'd ever clung to the pill for so long; it was if a huge black veil had just lifted from my day to day life in all sorts of ways.

In hindsight it could well have been the particular progestogen part of the pill which didn't agree with me (I seem OK on the MPA part of HRT). On the up-side, the pill did give me predictable and controllable bleeding and my muscles didn't seem to be falling off me before my eyes...

Different things sort different people, and everyone has different symptoms. For me, pill was better than nothing, HRT better than pill (but I never got the chance to try it pre 50). Best of luck in sorting yours.

Oh, and whilst it might be reasonable to say that certain people carry a predispositon to anxiety (and other psychological issues) - call it a personality trait if you like - I don't by any stretch of the imagination think that once anxious, always anxious. Once I went onto HRT, I don't think that I could have been anxious if I tried! (Well, not true, and I'm still pretty good at worrying if there's soemting to worry about, but compared to the compulsive, panicky, self-destructive black holes which I got into in the last 10 years it was amazing; my ability to cope was strengthened 1000 times. Having come off the HRT for a couple of months recently, it's definitely lowered significantly again, so that's proof for me.

Dandelion

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 05:34:10 PM »

I am considering bcp for my perimenopause symptoms as hrt doesn't fully control them. I have recently increased to 75mg evorel sequi to help but I still get the jitters in the morning and the anxiety. Maybe these symptoms are here to stay as I was told that "once anxious, always anxious". I have lost confidence in myself with all of the menopausal symptoms which hasn't helped. Anyway will the pill help rather than hrt? Does anyone have a link to the table showing oestrogen or progesterone dominance?  I am now 42 so a spring chicken really!
hi Chocolate

I went through a few different hrt's, the first one was femoston, and as it didn't work, even on the strongest dose, I went back after reading on here, and asked my doc for patches. My IBS meant that I was not absorbing them.
I waited about a year on the femoston, just because I was so discouraged and dissappointed, and the doctor was quite snappy with me.
'dr Currie said that I was not absorbing the femoston, otherwise I would have just sticked to that. The reason I could not absorb the feemoston, was because, my oestrogen stopped being produced as much in my body, and another gp explained that lack of oestrogen can cause IBS, and I had been getting what I later found out was IBS from this forum, but I just put it down to a drug that I was taking a long time to wean myself off, because I put the diarrhoe and the sweats etc down to my doctor weaning me off the med.
Body wise, I finally feel ok, no sweats, no anxiety, no flushing, because as funny as hot flushes seem to people, for me they were very unfunny. I even read on here about an abdeenian woman sitting in her garden, mid winter, in a nightie.

Please could you explain what you mean when you say your HRT isn't doing enough?
I was on 75mcg and it wasn't doing anything, so I was worried I will have to give up hrt, but after trying the evorel 100, everything got better, except the anxiety and catastrophising, plus the depression.

I didn't want the evorel sequi, as it has norethisterone in, and while this stuff is ok for most, having read about the mood negative effects, I went, armed with knowledge, and asked for evorel solo and utrogestan.
I had right trouble with a few doctors, I got an email from Dr currie, which only one good doctor would read. She agreed to start me on 50mcg and said that she would put it up, if after a 3mth trial, it didnt work
Well, it worked a bit, but not enough, so i tried 75mcg for three months and while that worked better than the 50, I was still needing my fan, sweating, and wakign up in a bad mood.
I then tried the evorel 100 with the utrogestan, (the utro had also been a hassle for me to get from doctors as they had never heard of it.)
These 100 patches really started working after a few weeks and i am flush free.
I do still get anxiety, but the clonidine should help that.
Also, I am still waiting for my ADHD assessment, and hopefully should get meds off that.
It's a long process sometims, and us women just want to put an end to our suffering.

So, for all of those women who are on hrt and it isn't doing enough, go up a higher dose, or maybe, change your delivery to the system, by getting gel. I think the gel allows you to have as high a dose as possible, if 100mcg patches don't even work, but I think they will, that extra 25mcg was all I needed.
Also make sure you get enough magnesium in your body by using differennt methods of delivery as well as oral. The oil has great reports on it.
I've even hear of women who say magnesium alone has taken their meno symptoms away.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 05:58:08 PM by Dandelion »

Dandelion

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »

Just wanted to say hi, I'm in the same position as you and I found HRT just wasn't doing enough. I recently tried Yaz but stopped after 11 days (see my Yaz diary ) I'm now trying Qlaira. There a re a few of us on BCP
Good luck  :)
When you say that your hrt wasn't doing enough, could you elaborate please.
What hrt were you on?
I found that from here, someone said that there are a few women who hrt doesn't work for, and I was ready to give up.
At the time, I was on 75mcg evorel patch, and I thought that if this dose doesn't then maybe I am stuck with these horrible meno feelings.
I figured that if 75mcg wont work, what will, as I thought 75mcg was only for women who needed loads and loads of oestrogen, and I wondered, surely I am not that oestrogen deficient?
I then went back to my nice GP after a three month trial on 75mcg, and she upped it too 100 mcg patches.
I was prepared to do three months on these, even though I thought I knew that patches would almost be overnight releif, and when this didn't happen for me, I got despairing again, but I continued to use the patches, because I wanted to tell my doctor I had given them a full three months.
Anyway, after about five weeks, the flushes stopped and I felt great again.
I posted in another thread about magnesium.

This helps menopause in women sometimes, but it didn't help me at the time.
Unbeknownst to me, I wasn't using enough magnesium.
We need 300mg a day, and capsules alone often don't seem like they are doing anything. It is best to bathe in epsom salts, so the magnesium goes through your skin. I found a huge bottle of it, all for under a tenner incl postage.
I will start having magnesium baths and I will use oil too, and I have bought some magnesium chloride tablets as they are the best for getting the magnesium where it needs to be.
I had been studying magnesium properly, all the types, and all of the bioavailability, plus the elemental magnesium amount, which you can see on the back of the packet.
I stopped having hot baths a while ago, cos of the flushes, but now that they are gone i am going to have more.
Hopefully, this will give me my rda of magnesium.
I know my  mag malate tablets work beautifully in getting me off to sleep.
I hope that you can get something out of this post.

I also took a clonidine pill yesterday, and that really helped my anxiety. dunno how addictive they are so I will only take them once or twice a week, but its nice to know that I have a chill pill handy when I get those awful gut-wrenching tugs of anxity
Pages: [1] 2