Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pushy nutritionist  (Read 5884 times)

Joyce

Pushy nutritionist
« on: November 11, 2015, 11:23:24 AM »

Went into local health food shop, to buy Starflower capsules to see if it'll work for my flushes & got "jumped upon" by in house nutritionist. Was I suffering from flushes, had I tried this or that? Yep. Had nutrition lecture. Stop doing this or that. She then tried to sell me Chromium tablets to "adjust" my cravings. Not to eat bananas for magnesium as full of sugar. Should have a 20 minute soak in a mugfull of Epsom salts every night. As for the chromium tablets she said 1 before every meal. Just looked at high St. nutrition shop & same strength says 1 tablet per day. Needless to say I've saved my pennies & only bought Starflower caps.

SadLynda

Re: Pushy nutritionist
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:09:14 PM »

Natures Aid? by any chance?  I met one in the health shop last year, he gave me loads of advice for things to take for my insomnia at the time.

Not sure a nightly epsom bath is a good thing if you were to have VA for example (as I am finding). So not good for everyone.

Joyce

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »

Don't fancy the Epsom salt bath nightly. She told me about taking a particular Magnesium tablet which would help with sleep. TBH I was only half listening to her. Hate folk pushing me like that. Would have needed a bank loan to pay for it all. I didn't even ask for her advice, just where the Starflower caps were.

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 01:57:26 PM »

I hate the hard sell. I bought some nutritional supplements ONCE online several years ago and  have been bombarded with emails and post from them ever since. I seem to have recently stopped the emails by unsubscribing, not for the first time. They also send post about pet nutrition as well. I don't have any pets. Do they really think anyone would respond positively to such advertising? I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole even if I wanted their products. It's uninvited and intrusive. The post goes straight into the recycling bin and emails deleted unread. Sorry .....rant over.  >:(

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 04:13:13 PM »

Of course bananas have sugar in however: it's natural sugar not refined  :bang: :bang: :bang: - I would ask where he/she gets there information  >:( obviously being paid by someone pushing their product?

I remember when there was a Report telling us that sugar is good for us: it was sponsored by "Tate and Lyle" I think  ;D
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:23:29 PM by CLKD »

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »

You're eating bananas?  How terrible - all that sugar...eat a large chunk of chocolate cake instead  ;D

I HATE pushy sales people and I never understand the logic anyway - I had someone like that in a health shop once, asking all sorts of intrusive questions and being really pushy and I've never gone back.

BTW, don't be put off Epsom salts as I found my vaginal area much less uncomfortable after an Epsom salt bath, so I guess it all depends on the individual.  When I started, I added a tiny amount and gradually increased it to make sure I didn't cause any irritation.  But every single bit of advice I've ever seen on using it in baths says 2-3 times a week max - once a day seems extreme.

Joyce

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 04:52:21 PM »

I'd have been fine if they hadn't rearranged shop & moved all the meno stuff together, even though it makes sense to do so. I went to usual shelf & starflower wasn't there. I told her I wasn't buying her suggestions without doing research, to which she said she was fully qualified nutritionist. I could have been rude & said I couldn't give a flying fig, but I restrained myself.  ;D

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 05:15:04 PM »

She was in her 50's Prajna. She looked at me in disgust when I said I'd been on HRT.  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 06:26:11 PM »

"flying fig"  :lol:  appropriate in that sort of shop  :D

oldsheep

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 09:04:04 PM »

next time go armed with a copy of Ben Goldacre's Bad Science book, open to the chapter on nutritionists  ;D

Dorothy

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 09:25:49 PM »

Or maybe just throw the book at her?  ;D

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 09:27:38 PM »

Oh I like that.

The charge would be....assault with a BOOK  ;D

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 09:28:51 PM »

Like the sound of that Dorothy!  ;D

I'll stick to H&B online in future. No hard sell with them.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2015, 09:26:50 AM »

Oh Ben is my Hero  :-* - he's the book I turn too if I'm ever in doubt or I send an e-mail to his Company.  He gets stuck into anything he doesn't agree with, puts his money where his mouth is  ;)

oldsheep

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2015, 03:24:58 PM »

next time go armed with a copy of Ben Goldacre's Bad Science book, open to the chapter on nutritionists  ;D

OldSheep, my daughter has just read his book, she says its a real eye opener.  She was doing a course in nutritional therapy but found a lot of the tutor poo pooed anything to do with conventional medicine full stop.  My daughter has now switched to an open university degree which is more science based.  She likes to know both sides of the argument and decide for herself.

S x

good luck to your daughter!  I didn't manage to get through the whole book (have the attention span of a 2 year old these days) but I did find that chapter excellent.
Pages: [1] 2