Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Constant bleeding! Please help xx  (Read 7501 times)

mrspinkrat

Constant bleeding! Please help xx
« on: November 11, 2015, 08:40:52 AM »

Hi all
After 18 months period free and tests indicating I had gone through the menopause, I had a sudden and heavy bleed.
I've had a transvaginal ultrasound and biopsy of the endometrial (?) lining. The biopsy was completely normal and I had a cervical etropian which didn't concern anyone - in fact it wasn't even mentioned to me - I read it in the letter from the radiographer on the doctors screen!
So, to cut a long story short, I'm still bleeding!! We're talking  6 weeks now of a steady flow with occasional clots. A return trip to GP and she has suggested HRT or the pill to control the bleeding.
My meno symptoms are - night sweats (which only started after this initial bleed - I had no symptoms during the 18 months of no periods) and joint pain (had this for about 18 months!)
So, I guess what I'm really asking is whether this constant bleeding is 'normal' during menopause? I'm a born worrier and just want to be sure I'm not covering anything up by going on to HRT or the pill. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thank you x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Constant bleeding! Please help xx
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 04:20:24 PM »

There is medication which your GP should give you - Trans-something or other …… meno brain can't remember  ::)

Off to do a search.

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 04:21:23 PM »

I bumped the thread from 2014  ;) ………

I think what would help is "transexamic acid" - you could ask your local Pharmacist for advice, or give your Practice Nurse a ring? Pharamcists have private rooms now.

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 04:30:10 PM »

I'm not sure about bleeding after an 18 month gap but I have very long periods.  My longest was almost 7 weeks and my latest one was 4 weeks.  My doctor has said it is normal for peri.  Watch your iron levels though, I keep going anaemic

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2015, 05:18:35 PM »

Hi mrspinkrat

Very pleased to hear that everything is normal as confirmed by the scan and biopsy! I had a quick look at your other posts and I see you are very young still (44) so it is likely that your cycle has started again I presume, which is the cause of the bleeding. The fact that it is heavy I imagine is because you have not ovulated for a long time but have been producing oestrogen - whcih has led the lining to thicken - hence the heavy bleed when you finally ovulated. Interesting that you had no symptoms which confirms ( to me at my level of understanding anyway!) that you were still producing oestrogen - just not ovulating.

This is the reason why under 50 contraception is recommended for two years following the last period - because cycles are more likely to re-start in younger women. The cut-off date for investigation is set at any bleeding beyond 12 months since last period at any age, so that any serious problems which led to the bleed are not missed.

I don't think you will be able to say whether your cycle has been kick-started again or whether this will be your last period. If it is your last - then you definitely need to replace oestrogen at your age to help protect heart and bones etc, if your cycle re-starts and your flushes disappear then you probably don't as yet - but may need to do so in the future.

Here is some information about treatment for heavy bleeding:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/periodtreatments.php
As CLKD says tranexamic acid is commonly used.

The other alternative is to ask for a Mirena coil which will reduce bleeding in the uterus and prevent it thickening - and then you will be able to take oestrogen in the form of pill, patch or gel according to preference, starting with a low dose and building up if necessary - depending on symptoms.

There are several women (inlcuding GypsyRoseLee and Briony) on here in their 40's who are taking the pill rather than HRT but they have suffered from extreme cycles and mood swings (don't want to speak for them really!). One that is similar to HRT in terms of the oestrogen in Qlaira which you might like to think about?

Hurdity  x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 06:24:43 PM »

:thankyou:  knew someone with sense would be along ………..  ;)

mrspinkrat

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 07:11:36 PM »

Hi everyone!
Thank you all so much for replying! I'm just pleased to know that this is not unheard of! I'm such a worrier. Hurdity - that information is great! I've got a lot of research to do I think. Bless you all xx

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »

A symptom is rarely rare!
Let us know how you get on!