Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: The Peri Journey  (Read 1449 times)

Spangles

The Peri Journey
« on: November 11, 2015, 06:57:03 AM »

Hi
I know the peri journey is unpredictable and you can't put a timescale on it but how do you know when you are through it, especially when using HRT?
Do the symptoms gradually peak over time and then decline?
I'm obviously not there yet as I'm on a roller coaster with it all.
Just a question I wanted to ask to see what you all feel?
Thanks
Shellb
xXx

Hurdity

Re: The Peri Journey
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 05:37:51 PM »

It is difficult to tell when you are through it if you are taking cyclical HRT because to some extent you are still cycling the hormones - albeit only progesterone - which can mean you experience mood swings, even though oestrogen is constant. I started HRT when I was still peri - but I was late peri so I didn't really notice anything other than feeling better. If I had ovulated while on HRT I didn't notice as my bleeds were always predictable.

Sounds like you have answered your own question really in that you still feel on a roller coaster, and one day you will not feel like this and know that your hormones are generally stable. Can't remember how old you are but you can go onto conti HRT (if you want to and can tolerate progsterone well) at 54 or I think sometimes earlier than this is recommended with some preparations.

Try not to think too much about it and concentrate on the fact that (hopefully) you are feeling better on HRT than you did or would be off it!  :)

Hurdity x

Spangles

Re: The Peri Journey
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 06:54:38 PM »

Thankyou Hurdity,
you always make me feel better with you kind wise words.
xXx
P.S. I'm 47