Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Amitriptiline?  (Read 5732 times)

marras

Re: Amitriptiline?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:48 AM »

Hi Daisie and Katy. A friend of mine has been on Ami for over 20 years! Many years ago I was on 25mg and I felt like a zombie on that. I can function much better on 15mg and although I had a migraine on Sunday, I had gone four weeks without one and it responded straight away to the Triptans I take so am happy to stay on 15mg for now.

Briony

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 06:16:30 PM »

I agree with the  others who've said build up gradually. 25mg knocked me for six. Ended up having to have time off work as I wasnt safe to drive. Was fine with a lower dose. My MiL takes 5mg daily simply as a sleeping tablet!

Chi chi

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2015, 12:18:27 PM »

Thanks for all your comments, I think I want to try it but haven't plucked up the courage to go and see my GP yet.  I feel a bit silly and it's like I'm admitting that he was right about hormones not being the problem  :-\ he has a special interest in mental health but there are other GP's in the practice that I could see although I'm sure they discuss things with each other  :-\ it just feels like I'm going back with my tail between my legs  :-\

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 01:49:17 PM »

I'm sure he will not think that at all and just think you have had time to consider things and have now made your mind up.

It's always good to take time and do your homework.

Honeybun
X

zodiac

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2015, 08:13:28 AM »

Hi marras,
I suffer from migrains and take sumatriptan for them but i have avoided taking antidepressants because of needing my sumatriptan, but i read ur comments n saw that your on amatriptaline n take a triptan, so i take it that they can be taken on antidepressants or just amatryptaline , x :))

Chi chi

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »

Another thing I've read is that it's used for bed wetting, would that include urge and frequency issues do you think? I was up 3 times last night to go to the bathroom 🙄😴

Grizzler

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2015, 12:47:34 PM »

I tried Ami and other tricyclics, and other anti-depressants also - mostly for muscle pains and bad headaches but also for psychological symptoms. I reacted badly to all. Didn't help at all with pain, made me very 'stoned', didn't help with depression or stress/anxiety. Did make me lose all sex drive and ability to have orgasm, make me 'hyper' at times and definitely the other side of drwosy - didn't sleep at all for a week once. Certainly wouldn't take them again.
But I also didn't react great to gabapentin (for headaches) and the other preventative drugs for migraine did nothing.
I take sumatriptan for headaches and linked neck/muscle spasms as and when they happen plus used to take a muscle relaxant and opiods. All got 100% better (gone nearly - as did the anxiety/stress etc adn the need for the drugs) when I started taking HRT, came back when I stopped. With hindsight, 10 years of pain and self-destructive moods (etc) were definitely hormonally-related...
We all react differently and what works for some doesn't work for others. You can only try. Good luck whatever you decide.

p.s. the anti bed wetting is the same kind of mechanism of action/body system that causes the dry mouth. It might help you.

Briony

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 06:05:01 PM »

Grizzler, your experience is quite common. My doctor told me that's why it's not a first line AD any more (ie due to the 'stoned' feeling).  Chi Chi, knowing how you've reacted to other drugs, I really would go carefully. I know others here have had more positive experiences of it, but at the time I was taking it (and feeling bad) I was shocked at home many people commented on their negative experiences of it. I was generally fine with other ADs, but not this one.

On a different note, how are you getting on with Qlaira? I guess it's hard to tell at this early stage? (Think it was months rather than weeks before I noticed I felt a bit more like 'me' again). Hope it's being kinder to you than Yaz was  :)

x

Chi chi

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 06:53:35 PM »

Hi Briony, things seem to be ok at the moment, no problems so far although I'm waiting  ::) I've Not been sleeping too well but been having some weird dreams  ??? It'll be a week tomorrow since I started so just about to start the most prog tablets. I'm also using 1 pump of Oestrogel daily as well as Testim.  Actually I was going to ask you when your spotting started? Was it straight away? How are you getting on?

Re the amitriptiline, I've not decided yet but thinking about things it's prob not a good idea to start something else new as well as the Qlaira purely because if there's any problems I won't know what's causing what?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 06:58:32 PM by Chi chi »

Briony

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 07:00:26 PM »

That sounds very similar to my first month on Q. From what I recall, itching started on week 2 and the spotting started around day 19. It was never bad. I kind of regret stopping it now as the spotting (and pain) I'm getting at present is a lot worse. I do think it was several months before I felt mentally boosted on it, but I never found it to cause additional anxiety (which a stronger pill did temporarily).

Word  of warning: you may get occasional blips when you feel exhausted, dizzy or just odd. Dont panic. I always got spotting a few hours later ... and felt normal again within a day or so. I came to the conclusion these were the days when my own hormones were misbehaving behind the scenes! x x

Chi chi

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 07:14:23 PM »

I feel exhausted, dizzy and odd most of the time anyway lol, thanks for the heads up though  ;)  :)
Pages: 1 [2]