Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Amitriptiline?  (Read 5733 times)

Chi chi

Amitriptiline?
« on: November 09, 2015, 03:14:14 PM »

As my current AD isn't working I've been thinking about asking to try this? I've read quite a few good reviews on it especially for anxiety which is my main problem. I've also read it's often prescribed for pain? I thought it might also help with my daily headaches and daily aches and pains?
I wondered if anyone on here has taken it or still does and how it's helped (if it has)?

Thanks as always  :)

Joyce

Re: Amitriptiline?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 03:20:29 PM »

I had it along with Gabapentin for neuralgia a few years back. Not sure if it helps with general aches & pains though.

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 04:08:17 PM »

Did you have many side effects? Apparently it's bad for piling on weight 😕

dazned

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 04:09:30 PM »

It's used for nerve pain I believe not general pains.

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 04:40:50 PM »

Like the others have said, it's used for nerve pain not headaches and general aches and pains.
It made me feel brain dead and dopy, oh and didn't sort the pain out either.
Don't know about the weight gain, I stopped taking it after about 2 weeks.

Angel45

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 05:07:44 PM »

Hi
I have just started to take this for anxiety I seem to escalate all my symptoms which makes me feel worse which make the anxiety worse, a horrible circle I struggle to get off. I have taken 10mg for the last 3 nights and not sure if it's a coincidence but slept fantastic first time in ages, it remains to be seen if it helps with the anxiety time will tell

Angel45

Edited to add apart from a lovely lie in I haven't felt tired throughout the day or felt unable to drive
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 05:09:49 PM by Angel45 »

Chi chi

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 05:41:55 PM »

That's good news Angel45, I've read it's also good for sleep 👍🏽 I'd be interested to know how you get on  :)

Joyce

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »

Don't remember it making much difference to my weight. Got a terribly dry mouth with them though.

GypsyRoseLee

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 06:11:56 PM »

I took it for over a year about a decade ago, when I had PND. Worked very well in calming down the anxiety and nerves, always slept like a log too.

Always felt very slightly dreamy, but perfectly capable of driving and holding down a career.

Took it again for 7 months last year. Again slept like a log and found it harder to wake up in the mornings than I did 10 years ago. Perhaps because I am older? I also gained about a stone in weight mainly because I felt chilled out enough to think 'I just don't care if I go up a dress size'. Had the slight dreaminess again too but it was actually what I needed as my nerves had felt red raw.

Chi chi

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:55:33 PM »

I could do with the help sleeping, just lately it's taking me ages to nod off at nighttime  ::)

Thanks  :)

Briony

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 07:52:35 PM »

I think you should read the recent(s) thread regarding this AD before taking it? I took it for nerve pain (GP said it's rarely used as an AD these days?). It did help with the pain, but I had side effects. I think the main ones were dizziness, fatigue and massively increased appetite. x
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:56:53 PM by Briony »

marras

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »

Hi Chi Chi, my GP prescribed Ami to help try and prevent migraine. It has the wonderful side effect of helping with my anxiety and improving my sleep. Yes, it does give me a dry mouth but I think it's a small price to pay. I haven't noticed any increase in weight. The migraines are decreasing slowly but everything takes a long time to work with me. Personally, I think it's a great little drug which really suits me and is worth trying, although I fully understand it doesn't suit everyone. I started off with 10mg but am now on 15mg. At times of increased stress I take 20mg as suggested by my GP.

MIS71MUM

• Just trying my best!
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 08:48:41 AM »

I know of 2 friends at work who were both prescribed this, at a low dose for tension headaches and migraine. Both have said it did wonders for their sleep.  I think as an anti-depressant, it is prescribed at a higher dose than for the headaches.

daisie

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »

iv been on this drug for 6 years 8 months ,,tried to come off it a few times with no luck always had to go back on it .my dose is 50mg at night does help with sleep and calms you down ,but i still feel like a zombie first thing when waking takes some time to come round also put a lot of weight on x daisie

Katy

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 10:56:53 AM »

Hi Chi chi

I have been taking 30mg Amitriptyline for approx. 2 years now for neuropathic pain and it has helped.  It does give me a dry mouth in the morning but after a few sips of water that goes away, but not had any other side effects.  Haven't put any weight on with it.

My GP has just increased my dose to 50mg for anxiety so will have to wait and see if it helps!

Katy xx
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:59:25 AM by Katy »
Pages: [1] 2