Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Charcoal tablets  (Read 4861 times)

honeybun

Charcoal tablets
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »

Anyone tried them for wind, bloating and IBS.
I have ordered some to see if they help.....I have read all the bumf and I know not to take along side meds as they can interfere with absorption. But given the fact I don't take many pills I hope they might help with my wind pains.

Any thoughts.

Honeybun
X

Limpy

Re: Charcoal tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 08:46:10 PM »

Might be worth a try at least?

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 09:40:06 PM »

I was prescribed charcoal biscuits in the 60s. I remember they were disgusting and didn't help. Maybe worth trying though, as they are unlikely to do any harm.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:32:21 PM »

Used to give them to our Dogs, 'sharps' make them  ;)

elsie001

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 09:14:35 AM »

I was prescribed peppermint oil capsules for wind recently.  If the charcoal ones don't work, you could always give the capsules a try.

oldsheep

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:28:57 PM »

they didn't work and then made me vomit. Not great. Might be different for others!
Found diet changes far more helpful, if restricting.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 07:28:47 PM »

Oh heck, being sick is my most unfavourite thing. After that comment they may well stay in the jar  :-\

Honeyb
X

Kathleen

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 07:47:14 PM »

Hello honeybun.

I know I go on about probiotics and gut flora and I'm a bit like a broken record on the subject (now there's a reference for the oldies amongst us lol) but there is so much information about how to improve the bacteria in our bowels and how this helps IBS sufferers amongst others. I recently started eating homemade Sauerkraut which has meant my wind issues have completely resolved. Apparently Sauerkraut, like other fermented food is packed full of good bacteria and it has certainly helped me. I suggest you have a Google session as I'm sure you will discover lots to interest you.
Take care and I hope you find some food for thought. Sorry about the pun!

K.

honeybun

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 07:51:45 PM »

I think I really wanted a quick fix but really don't want to chance it making me sick.
I take a daily probiotic but my upper gut wind and bloating is a bit of an issue.
I hadn't read anything about charcoal tablets causing vomiting otherwise I wouldn't even have considered them.
Do you make your own sauerkraut or just buy it. My worry is that it's very acidic and will cause terrible acid reflux.

Honeybun
X

Taz2

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 12:14:15 AM »

Have you had your test yet HB? Can't remember if it was colonoscopy or sigmoidoscopy?

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:43:48 AM »

Still waiting Taz. It's the sig I'm getting done.

Honeyb
x

Spangles

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 08:06:45 AM »

I had charcoal tablets on a long haul flight once as I was sick.
They made me worse and everything went black, the vomit and everything else. They have to be one of the worst things I have ever used.
Have you tried any yoga techniques? There are many wind relieving postures that really work.
I use probiotics, they make my tummy feel well but I'm still very windy! If I'm really bad I use Buscopan too as this relaxes the bowel and gut.
Hope you get some relief soon.
Shellb
xXx

Kathleen

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »

Hello honeybun.

Sauerkraut does have a bitter taste but I don't know how it would affect reflux issues. The kind that you can buy has been pasturised for a long shelf life so all the good bacteria have been killed off. If you can find any shops that sell the fresh refrigerated stuff then  you could try that and see if it helps.

I hope you feel better soon and take care.
K.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 04:18:05 PM »

I had Colpermin capsules for upper gut wind ……. and motilillum (I think) to help move the gut ……. back to basics Honeybun?