Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Cant find my cat  (Read 11146 times)

Briony

Re: Cant find my cat
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 01:43:45 PM »

;D  HB ... sounds as if you had a camera in our lounge last night!

I initially tried hiding it in food. He stuffed the food but politely spat out the tablet each time. The more I tried single handedly to get it down, the more he objected (I swear he was grinning at one point). I didnt even attempt the syringe stuff until this morning when mum helped me.

He must be feeling better though as overnight, he stole a brand new loo roll from the bathroom, carried it downstairs and basically created a snow storm everywhere. The whole lot has been torn to shreds.  I guess it was his way of getting revenge for the tablet!

ellie

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 01:54:58 PM »

Try wrapping your cat tightly in a big towel ( they Carnt struggle then) . The syringe should then be easy, just put it between his lips at the side and he should just lick it up.....likewise the tablet, because he Carnt struggle in the towel......open mouth gently and pop tablet at back of tongue..Keep his mouth closed and cover his nose.....he will swallow......good luck.

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 02:02:55 PM »

Dogs are so much easier, hide it in food and it's gone or just shove over the back of their throat. With cats you have the claw thing going on  :o

Glad he is feeling better Briony....my daughters kittens did something similar with a loo roll last week  ;D

Honeybun
X

Dulciana

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 02:34:08 PM »

We lost our cat once when she was about 3 years old.  We were in a ground-floor rented flat until we could get another place of our own.  I was out at work one day and Hubby (who was out of work) let our little moggie our of the glass doors in the lounge (which opened out on to a large communal garden) at just after lunch time. (She had never been outside there, before.) By the time I came back, at about 5.30pm, puss still hadn't come back in.  By after tea time, she still hadn't come back and by bedtime likewise, so I went to bed convinced we'd never see her again.  However, I got up to go to the loo at about 6am and then I thought I heard a faint mew from outside.  I opened the bathroom window and called her name umpteen times (never mind waking the neighbours!) and then I saw her.  She came hurtling across the car park in the direction of the bathroom, launched herself into mid-air and landed on the bathroom windowsill.  I picked her up and she sat purring in my arms for the next half hour.  One very happy moggie and one very relieved Me!  (We worked out that she must have been outside, lost and probably rather scared, in the garden for 16 hours.)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 02:44:32 PM by Dulciana »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 04:46:56 PM »

;D

I tried wrapping the cat in a thick towel, she grew about 20 legs each with claws  ;D - I decided that if she felt that well she didn't need to undergo the struggle.   

As for the dog, when she needed daily chemo therapy I tired: cripsy sausages, cheese, melted chocolate buttons - all made her sick because she would sort the pill from it and needed more: eventually we found that thinly sliced ham worked, usually: except for the times when she sucked the ham and left the pill on the kitchen floor  ::)

How is Puss 2-day?

ariadne

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »

I've got a really good pill-giver from the vets - although you can buy them in pet shops I think. Only cost a £1 and works brilliantly if there are two of you. You put the pill in the slot at the end, put the pill giver over the tongue and just slide it up and the pill goes straight down the throat.

I can remember one of my cats was on long term antibiotics. I spent ages wrapping them carefully in little parcels of roast chicken each morning and night and then, one morning, I dropped the pill and he ate it off the floor just like that! Turned out he loved them!! I'd only been doing the wrapping up thing for around eight weeks..

Taz x  ;D

I had the same thing Taz with one of my cats. I had bought a syringe type pill dispenser from the vet to "fire" it down her throat because she was so difficult to medicate. I struggled all week with the thing and she still hated and it managed to avoid swallowing. One day I missed when I pressed the plunger and the tablet shot out onto the floor where she gobbled it up as if it was a treat! That's all I had to do after that little episode😁

Glad your little cat is back home safely and that the biscuit trick worked.

Ariadne xx

Taz2

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 05:45:51 PM »

:lol: I'm glad I'm not the only one Ariadne.

Taz x

Hurdity

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 06:23:01 PM »

I find that this method always works....

While your cat is on the floor (preferably near its food - next meal) or on a raised surface if you don't like bending down, hold it firmly by the scruff of the neck (just above). (This is not painful as it is how their mother carried them as a kitten, and the loose skin is still there). In this position they don't usually struggle and especially if you're quick. Tip its head lightly backwards at an angle. With your other hand gently put finger in its jaw and lower the bottom jaw so that it's mouth is open. Then gently toss the tablet ( half or quarter at a time if it's big!) at the very back of the throat and then quickly let the jaw go and stroke their throat which causes a reflex swallowing action - and hey presto, the tablet has gone! It needs to be popped right at the back over the dome bit of the tongue.

If it's too big a tab or you don't chuck it far back enough then instead of swallowing our cats have done a sort of little flick with their jaw and the tab pops to the side (like they do with titbits of food that you give them) only to be ejected onto the floor! It needs to be popped right at the back over the dome bit of the tongue.

We've done it like this for years!

Over 30 years ago in a cottage we lived in very rural area, quite remote from other dwellings, we lost our dear cat ( a neutered female) for two weeks! I had given up hope and then one Sunday walked all over the whole farm and fields and woods whistling and calling for her - I was gone for an hour or so. When I got back she was just there sitting in the lane by the cottage as if nothing had happened - perfectly well and pleased to see me. No sign of illness or anything. She wouldn't  tell us where she'd been  ;D

Glad your cat came back safely Briony  :)

Hurdity x

Briony

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »

How is Puss 2-day?

Still not eating properly but more himself. Even had a purr today! Was sooo nice to sleep all through the night last night without him being sick (he did it in the bath each time and it stunk so much it woke me up - then I lay awake for hours ???). Each time he then jumped into our bed with sick all over his front (Maine Coon so fluffy bib) and tried to cuddle me .
... It made me realise maybe it's a good thing I've never had a baby - dont think I'd have coped with all that business! x

honeybun

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 07:44:03 PM »

Give me a dog any time.
Take pill, open dogs mouth and push pill down the dogs throat....takes two minutes and that's it  ::)

Honeybun
X

Dulciana

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 07:57:39 PM »

Cats are sooo wiley!  They've got us sussed..................... ::)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »

Dogs have owners.  Cats have Staff  ;D

Oh I LOVE Maine Coons - but not if they are messy  ;) but what a Good Cat to sick into the bath.

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 08:13:55 PM »

Ooo er  :o

Guess it beats the carpet though  ;D

Honeybun
X

Dorothy

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2015, 11:36:42 PM »

Give me a dog any time.
Take pill, open dogs mouth and push pill down the dogs throat....takes two minutes and that's it  ::)

Honeybun
X

You obviously never met my first dog...

Nervousnel

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 12:12:01 AM »

So glad you found your cat.  We've got 3.  Got a pill crusher from the vet.  Turns it into a fine powder.  Put it in a small amount of something tasty - pilchard in tomato sauce or fish paste.  worth a try.  Our neighbour's cat disappeared Wednesday night came back Friday morning.  Fireworks should be for organised displays only.  Its so worrying when cats go missing.  . 
A previous cat of ours was on antibiotics.  Very pleased I got them all down her by putting them in the back of her mouth.  I'm not Mrs. clean and tidy.  A couple of weeks later, hoovering behind the settee - you can guess it - a group of little tablets.  Cat was fine - obviously didn't need the tablets.  XX
Pages: 1 [2] 3