Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Cant find my cat  (Read 11145 times)

Briony

Cant find my cat
« on: November 06, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »

I feel a bit stupid writing this, and I know there's not much anyone else can do to help, but am posting anyway!

Came home from work at 5pm to find that my partner has been called out to work this evening (he's on holiday but it was urgent). During the day he took our year old cat to the vets as he was sick in the night. He has been given  medication as he has a slight temperature and upset tummy. Next dose due any moment... but I cant find the cat!

Trouble is, partner didnt lock the cat flap when he left and Mr has obviously gone out. Usually he comes in to say hello as soon as I get in (in fact, he usually chooses to be indoors about 50% of the daytime and always at night) so I am feeling increasingly uneasy. This is not helped by the fact there are fireworks going off (we kept them in from 4pm last night as both hate loud noises). I keep imagining him somewhere, frightened and feeling ill. Have called and called, and done a walkabout, but not a sign.
His more laid back brother has come in voluntarily and is here with me.

Any suggestions? I'm so worried.  :-\

honeybun

Re: Cant find my cat
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 07:17:23 PM »

He is probably hiding somewhere he will feel safe and come in when it's quiet.
I won't tell you not to worry as I know I would but there is not much more you can do at the moment.
I'm sure he will be just fine.
My mother is complaining about fireworks frightening her dog.
The sooner they are banned for personal use the better.

Let us know.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 07:36:41 PM »

Check under the bed; in the airing cupboard, anywhere that a poorly cat might crawl into.  One of mine often curled up tightly where I wouldn't look …….. I would have to stand very still as she would be purring softly ………  ::) in the back of a kitchen drawer one time, fortunately I didn't pull it out sharply !  :o

It is a worry if they change their routines  :-\

I would ban fireworks completely  :(

ariadne

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 07:37:58 PM »

Have you tried shaking a box of cat biscuits just outside the door? Always works for my cat. Hope she comes home soon - do let us know.

Ariadne xx

littleminnie

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 07:42:09 PM »

As HB says he might be to scared to move out of his safe place, he will probably come in when it goes quiet. My cat is only one, and is petrified of the fireworks.

Briony

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 07:51:24 PM »

Thanks so, so  much for understanding. I have been beside myself with worry (and guilt). You were all absolutely right - he was hiding behind a big tree and, during a lull in the bangs, the biscuit box noise you suggested tempted him eventually.

He's now stuffing himself, soaking wet and dried leaves hanging off every part of his body (he's very long haired so they sort of cling on!).

Any tips on how to get a tablet and syringe down successfully? (He always spots it when hidden in food!). Usually have partner here to lend a hand.

Thanks again. Just knowing other people understood really helped - the neighbours just think I am a strange cat woman!  ::)xxx 

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »

I wouldn't worry until much later. Let him have a sleep and then as he wakes get 1 or other down?  Syringe is probably easier!

However, the less stress the better. If he's eating  ;) sleep heals.  When is your partner back, maybe do it together.

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 08:01:49 PM »

Really glad you have him back.....and thought this might make you smile

"How To Give Your Cat A Pill

Pick up cat and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and apply gentle pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

Retrieve cat from bedroom and throw soggy pill away.

Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for glueing later.

Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band Aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

Retrieve cat from neighbour's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw away T-shirt and fetch new one from bedroom.

Ring Fire Brigade to retrieve cat from tree across road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to miss cat. Take last pill from foil wrap.

Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

Get spouse to drive you to Casualty, sit quietly while doctor stitches finger and forearm and removes remnants of pill from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

Call RSPCA to collect cat and ring pet shop to see if they have any hamsters."

Honeyb
x
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 08:06:07 PM by honeybun »

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2015, 08:02:50 PM »

:lol:  haven't seen this for a while: written by a cat owner

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 08:05:35 PM »

Oh bother will the copyright police be after me again......I forgot the quote marks.....should I amend my post.  ::)

Been a good girl and done it....whew I will sleep easier tonight.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2015, 09:05:50 PM »

:lol:  .. there, there  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2015, 09:41:53 PM »

I'me glad the cat came back Briony.

Well done HB  :medal:

littleminnie

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 09:55:31 AM »

Our vet suggested putting it in the middle of a small rolled ball of cheese.

Dorothy

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 11:47:04 AM »

Just seen this and was so pleased to read that your cat came back safely.  My dog was missing once for about 45 minutes and it felt more like 45 hours!

I hope you got the pill sorted.  Be interested to hear if the cheese trick works - I used to help a neighbour give her cat pills and eye cream - at least with the eye cream we knew when it had gone in (and I can confirm it was harmless to humans - the amount I ended up covered with, I should know!) but the pill was a nightmare...the cat would appear to swallow it, sit there innocently...and then spit it out five minutes later!

My old dog was a nightmare - we got some meaty 'tubes' from the vet that you were supposed to push the pill into and the dog swallowed the whole thing...mine used to carefully pick the meat off the outside and leave the pill behind or take the whole thing in her mouth and spit the pill out.  My current dog is wonderful - I just hold out the pill on my hand and say 'treat' and she swallows it  ;D

Taz2

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 12:55:45 PM »

I've got a really good pill-giver from the vets - although you can buy them in pet shops I think. Only cost a £1 and works brilliantly if there are two of you. You put the pill in the slot at the end, put the pill giver over the tongue and just slide it up and the pill goes straight down the throat.

I can remember one of my cats was on long term antibiotics. I spent ages wrapping them carefully in little parcels of roast chicken each morning and night and then, one morning, I dropped the pill and he ate it off the floor just like that! Turned out he loved them!! I'd only been doing the wrapping up thing for around eight weeks..

Taz x  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3