Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Answers but no solution!!!  (Read 2852 times)

renee

Answers but no solution!!!
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:39:42 PM »

I finally had my app with my doctor today....I have had terrible anxiety past few months again.

After a lot of questioning from my doc regarding all my symptoms Iv been having again (which I didn't even think twice about!)....I'm oestrogen deficient again!!! Even though I'm on femoston 2/10 and have been most of this year.

Feel a bit silly as looking back to August things were going wrong but I didn't join up the dots as I am on HRT and just thought things would settle again. Wrong....Iv had periods starting at different times when their supposed to be monthly, flaky dry skin, IBS, vaginal dryness zero libido, sore limbs/joints and upper body, sore breasts, fatigue, insomnia, forgetfulness, anxiety and low mood in the morning and last week I had a period that was scarily heavy!!

Ok...so I'm oestrogen deficient. I have answers so off I hopped out the surgery....meno brain must have been in action as I didn't ask, what do I do now????

I phoned the surgery and have another app for 17th Nov as I can't go in like this without help....I'm wondering why the femoston 2/10 isn't providing the correct oestrogen etc

Confused.com!!! Grrrrrr xx
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 09:55:32 PM by renee »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Answers but no solution!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:47:51 PM »

I giggled 'cos the same happened to me this year.  Because I was getting headaches I decided - correctly - that the Propranolol was causing them.  So I cut the dosage  ::) but didn't associate the increased anxiety attacks with the lack of betablocka.  There were other issues that could have been causing increased anxiety.  Then I thought back to why I had been prescribed the BB and hey presto! it was to ease any anxiety surges in the mornings  >:(  ::) …….. fortunately my GP didn't laugh when I had my annual review in Sept.  ;)

Give the Surgery a ring? so that the GP can advise either by phone or leave you a prescription? 

Have a  :kick:  ;)

renee

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »

Glad I made you giggle CLKD haha xx

Makes you realise you have to pay closer attention to what your body is telling you.....for you it's saying stay on the beta blockers for sure, lesson learned X

When I phoned the surgery this affo...I was told the doc Iv been seeing this past year is now on holiday until 16th so I got an app for 17th, she's also the meno doc. I'm not sure what she will do, as I take my HRT same time every day....obviously it's not working well for me now. Don't know why? Just wish I hadn't skipped out of there without a solution xx

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 09:58:45 AM »

renee - how do you know you are oestrogen deficient?  Did you have a blood test to show your oestrogen levels? If you are bleeding heavily at times this would indicate that you are producing and absorbing quite a bit of oestrogen.  I'm actually wondering if the high dose is appropriate.
If you are oestrogen deficient, then the IBS be might affecting absorption of the HRT and a transdermal route might be better? DG x

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 12:36:35 PM »

Hi renee

Also - have you started having sweats and flushes? These are usually the first signs that oestrogen isn't working - although obviously there are many other oestrogen deficiency symptoms. Have you had a blood test for thyroid - TSH?

I also agree with Dancinggirl that if you have IBS it may affect the absoprtion of tablet HRT. Another member had the same problem and changed to transdermal HRT. If you are peri-menopausal then variation in time and amount of bleeding is normal because the HRT does not actually completely control your natural cycle.

Sorry I can't remember how old you are and where in meno re periods etc before starting HRT. Hopefully at your next appointment you can discuss all of this in more depth. Make sure you write down the points you want to bring up so that you don't forget in the heat of the moment!

Hurdity x

renee

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »

Hi Dancing girl and Huridty,

Iv had an under active thyroid for 9 years, I'm currently taking 100cg thyroxine. I just told the doctor all my re occurring symptoms and straightaway she said...oestrogen deficiency. No bloods have been taken! I didn't know what IBS could affect medication absorption.

Looking back things were changing in Aug as I had a 2 day period in the middle of my femoston pack, anxiety and IBS started up again just before that, Sep period was non existent then I started getting hot ****ly skin, feeling hot and irritated, dry flaky skin, IBS was getting worse, low mood and anxiety in the morning then just recently upper back, neck and under arm pain, sore breasts and double vision, this is what I told the doc yesterday, I walked out of there without a solution, I could kick myself. Iv phoned and got an app for 17th but phoned again this morning for any cancellations for next week and will do so everyday.

I'm 50 next month and through blood checks I was diagnosed as peri menopausal around 4 years ago...

I'm currently taking, thyroxine, IBS meds, Trazadone for anxiety and insomnia and femoston 2/10.

Thanks ladies xx
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 02:27:06 PM by renee »

Dancinggirl

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 05:22:38 PM »

Renee - Actually sounds like the oestrogen level could be too high at times - possibly your own hormones are still giving some boosts.  I got these kind of symptoms when I was on too high a dose when I was peri meno.
Maybe they need to look at the thyroid function again as well.
You are on quite a cocktail of things for all your problems and any one of them could be giving you the side effects you are describing. The peri stage is difficult as fluctuations will occur.  Dg x

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2015, 05:32:23 PM »

...and also I have read (in a scientific paper) that oral HRT can affect the amount of available thyroxine in the blood ( but not transdermal HRT) so could it be something to do with this if you are on tablet HRT?

The product info for one of the tablet HRT types says:

Hypothyroidism

• Patients who require thyroid hormone replacement therapy should have their thyroid function monitored regularly while on HRT to ensure that thyroid hormone levels remain in an acceptable range.

and this:

Oestrogens increase thyroid binding globulin (TBG), leading to increased circulating total thyroid hormone, as measured by protein-bound iodine (PBI), T4 levels (by column or by radio-immunoassay) or T3 levels (by radio-immunoassay). T3 resin uptake is decreased, reflecting the elevated TBG. Free T4 and free T3 concentrations are unaltered. Other binding proteins may be elevated in serum, i.e. corticoid binding globulin (CBG), sex-hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) leading to increased circulating corticosteroids and sex steroids, respectively. Free or biological active hormone concentrations are unchanged.

http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/medicine/20963/SPC/Elleste+Duet+2mg/

...so there is clearly an interaction and as Dancinggirl says as you are taking lots of meds as well as HRT there could be all sorts going on!

Hurdity x

renee

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 08:59:22 PM »

Thank you so much Hurdity and Dancing girl....I get my thyroid checked twice a year. Used to be once a year but since taking HRT, it's twice but I will be requesting blood works for sure.

After I read your last comments I called my surgery...Iv left a message for my doctor to contact me when she returns on Monday....I really need help as its affecting my quality of life.

I totally have health anxiety now!!

I'm confused as of where to begin getting help....I also have numerous fibroids and a thickening of the womb which was confirmed last year. My husband keeps asking me if I need a hysterectomy to help stop all these symptoms but I'm not sure it would.

Thank you ❤️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 09:02:48 PM »

I should add that I've been prescribed BBs since 2002 ……… so lesson learnt  ;)