Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: regular periods if perimenopausal?  (Read 2303 times)

mandypepe

regular periods if perimenopausal?
« on: November 04, 2015, 06:41:42 PM »

I've just presumed that periods would be hit and miss. But, can they still be regular if you're perimenopausal. I missed Septembers period, so I thought because of that plus many other symptoms I was perimenopausal. Now, I had a period in October and I've got one now. So, now I'm wondering if I am perimenopausal and that the missed period in September was just a one off? Or, can that happen when we can still have periods but presume we are perimenopausal because of other symptoms. This period I have had heavy painful breasts when I never usually do, no stomach pain when I usually do on the first day, and so much vibrating in the pelvic floor area when I've never had that before except last month.

Re: regular periods if perimenopausal?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 08:12:37 PM »

I recognize all that, and I believe that I'm in peri... I have had lighter periods for at least a year. Less pain/cramps, but the last few months I've had sore/heavy/itchy boobs on-and-off (mostly on...). Right now I don't have sore boobs, weirdly enough. The last couple of periods have been closer together than usual. There was only a space of 23 days between the last two, and I would otherwise have at least 27-28 days apart.

mandypepe

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2015, 09:54:31 PM »

Thank you for your responses. I am going to monitor the period symptoms each time I have a period and try not to get too fixated by it.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 05:41:12 PM »

This is the definition of peri-menopause ( from the NICE draft summary guidelines)

Perimenopause
The time in which a woman has irregular cycles of ovulation and menstruation leading up to menopause and continuing until 12 months after her final period (also known as menopausal transition or climacteric).

There are some hormonal changes which start to occur before peri-menopause - in the late reproductive phase ( when you are still in your fertile stage)  and which cause all sorts of symptoms. I started to get very bad pms and migraines in this stage - but this was well before I was in peri as periods were still completely regular. Once you have missed one period then that will count as the beginning of the irregular cycle changes. Sometimes it might just be the odd missed period at first and then they go back to being regular but there will be something going on hormonally!

Good idea not to become fixated on it - just monitor it and see how things pan out, and hopefully you will be able to stay positive!   :)

Hurdity x