Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Hysteroscopy for thickened womb lining  (Read 5554 times)

susie56

Hysteroscopy for thickened womb lining
« on: November 02, 2015, 05:01:08 PM »

Hi all
Haven't posted in a long while although often read. I have been found to have a slightly thickened womb lining afte a second bout of PMB. Last thickness was 3.5 MM. Today it was 6mm which is over the threshold. I'm due in for a hysteroscopy in three weeks. I take no HRT but have had a late menopause and suffer hypothyroidism. Anyone else had this? Worrying it could be cancerous of course although I'm trying to keep a sense of perspective. I'm fit and healthy with no other symptoms. Any help and support gratefully received.

Kathleen

Re: Hysteroscopy for thickened womb lining
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »

Hello susie56.

I recently had a hysteroscopy for the same reason. As I recall my womb lining was about 5.5 mm but all was fine and womb was healthy, even the small fibroid I had diagnosed about ten years ago had disappeared. All this despite patches HRT.

To lessen any discomfort I'd advise you to take some painkillers before the procedure or you can always do what one lady did and drink a tot of rum beforehand, according to the nurses she felt nothing and seemed pretty chilled about the whole thing!
Difficult not to worry I know but I'm sure it will be okay and do please keep us updated.

Take care.

K.

susie56

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:48:10 PM »

Thanks Kathleen. Your post made me feel so much better. 🙏

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »

Hi susie56

I also had hysteroscopy for lining of 7. something as I recall - although I am on cyclical HRT so my lining will vary. The only cause for concern is if you have had possible bleeding and a thickened lining - and even that is a long way from cancer! Also your lining is barely thickened at 6 mm - but actually it's great that there is a point at which women are checked so that nothing is missed. Far better to go for the odd (hopefully) unnecessary test like this, than the contrary.

As far as I understand it, a thickened lining itself is not even necessarily endometrial hyperplasia - which is the type of thickening that can lead to cancer in a small percentage of cases if left untreated, but bleeding is usally the first sign.

How old are you and when did you last have a period? Some oestrogen continues to be produced even after the last period, so I understand, which can read to growth of the lining. I presume for most women it doesn't continue to grow indefinitely.

I had mine with no anaesthetic but like Kathleen I took the recommended painkillers an hour before the procedure and all was well ( think it was 2 ibuprofen and 2 paracetamol?).

Try not to worry!

Hurdity x