Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: No ovaries - no HRT  (Read 3993 times)

jojo999

No ovaries - no HRT
« on: October 28, 2015, 11:24:28 AM »

Hi
I suffered with PMDD and 2 years ago had my ovaries removed and was told that would make everything better....I did want a full hysterectomy but they said no! I am now 51.
Went into full blown surgical menopause which was horrific - was tried on HRT but I am intolerant to the progestogen element (which is what they think is responsible for PMDD ANYWAY) Several different tries with HRT left me severely depressed needing quite a bit of time off work. I cannot just take Oestrogen coz I still have a womb - hence my dilemma.
I am now 2 years post surgery and feel crap. Low mood, depression, no energy, tearful, no joy in much atall..
I have tried several herbal options but as yet nothing seems to help.
Does anyone have any suggestions as unless I have a full hysterectomy (I am considering it) I cannot take HRT.
I have heard of nutrition fx menopause, soy isoflavones but its gets complicated and I seem to spen dmy whole time trying different stuff that doesn't help.

Would really appreciate and ideas, suggestions, etc... thanks

:'(

Taz2

Re: No ovaries - no HRT
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 11:28:58 AM »

Hi jojo - Welcome to the forum

I'm so sorry to learn that you were advised that having your ovaries removed would "make everything better" as it stands to reason that you would then be plunged straight into menopause. So many women are told this!

Someone will be along soon with more knowledge about the different types of progesterone but I know that you can have a long cycle using a bio-identical progesterone called utrogestan. Have you heard of it? I believe it means that you don't have to use it every month. If you use the search button top left of the screen in the blue bar you will find posts about this.

You will get lots of help and advice on here.

Taz x  :welcomemm:

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »

Hi jojo999

:welcomemm: from me too.

Sorry to hear about your symptoms due to surgical menopause, Unfortunately as you are already experiencing none of the herbal treatments will help because your body is reacting to the sudden loss of oestrogen as well as probably testosterone.  Sometimes some women find they help during initial stages of peri-menopause but this could be just that their bodies were changing anyway. Some of the products you mention are just herbs and supplements or contain phyto-oestrogens - which can act like weak oestrogens.

As Taz says there are different types of HRT and different progestogens. Of the tablet type Femoston contains a progestogen that is very well tolerated - of the synthetic kinds - because it is very close in molecular structure to our own progesterone.

Also she mentioned the oestrogen and separate progesterone - Utrogestan. I take this on a long cycle with the approval of my GP. I would suggest in your position and with your history you ask for referral to a menopause clinic with a gynae who is knowledgeable about HRT and progesterone intolerance and will supervise you on a long cycle (or shorter course of progesterone), by means of regular scans etc. If this isn't possible you should be able to ask your GP for this (find out who in your practice is the most knowledgeable and sympathetic).

I use Utrogestan vaginally as do many women on here - although it is not licensed for this purpose in UK ( it is in France and other European countries). This reduces the amount that gets into your system and also as it's bio-identical, the side effects are milder and what you might normally expect from progesterone. There is information under "Treatments" top menu.

It's a good idea at this stage also to make any lifestyle changes needed, to ensure your body is in the best possible state to cope with what's to come over the next 40-50 years!

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 04:50:21 PM »

:welcomemm:

jojo999

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 10:39:07 AM »

I cannot take any progestogen atall no matter how it is delivered...The only way I could just take oestrogen would be if I had my uterus removed.
So its either hysterectomy or something herbal / non HRT.
I am still searching - anyone heard of nutrition fx menopause and any success..
Getting a bit desperate now.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 12:18:01 PM »

Do you trust your Surgeon?

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »

Sorry to hear about this jojo - have you tried all the different methods including vaginal Utrogestan and Mirena coil?

You have been put in a very unfortunate position - plunged into surgical menopause but still have a womb! Unfortunately as I said before none of the herbal treatments are likely to help but re nutrients etc as I said in my earlier post you need to make lifestyle changes if necessary, ie make sure your diet is good, lose weight if needed, limit alcohol and smoking, take more exercise etc http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/diet.php but this won't replace the hormones that you are suddenly deprived of.

Other than that and what I suggested earlier - eg long cycle or short course of prog under the guidance of a menopause gyane - I can't think of anything else - sorry  :(

I wish you well in finding something that works but personally I wouldn't give up on HRT yet!

Hurdity x