Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Food banks  (Read 13643 times)

Pennyfarthing

Re: Food banks
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2019, 08:37:49 PM »

Littleminnie was asking about donations.  For collections it's normal to have a note from particular agencies.  That's just common sense.

It didn't read like that to me Shadyglade.  perhaps Minnie can enlighten us. 

Why would a foodbank “vet” people who donate? 

Katejo

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 10:10:52 PM »

Littleminnie was asking about donations.  For collections it's normal to have a note from particular agencies.  That's just common sense.
No Littleminnie appears to be asking about people who need food and help. No reason to vet donations

littleminnie

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2019, 08:29:19 AM »

Sorry for the confusion.  I meant the people that are receiving the food parcels, do they have to take in some sort of paperwork to say that they require financial help.

Sparrow

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2019, 08:36:39 AM »

Yes they do.  Usually from an official agency such as social services, local council etc.,
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 08:38:37 AM by Shadyglade »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 09:56:27 AM »

Sorry for the confusion.  I meant the people that are receiving the food parcels, do they have to take in some sort of paperwork to say that they require financial help.

I thought that's what you meant Minnie. thank you. As you will see from my post above most do require evidence but some smaller ones don't.   Our local Salvation Army charity shop often has a large box inside the door which has bags of potatoes with a FREE PLEASE HELP YOURSELF sign.  These are “on date” from a local supermarket.  it's much better than the supermarket binning them all isn't it? 

littleminnie

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 11:05:42 AM »

Yes much better than them going to waste.
On a different note - have you seen what some councils are doing.  At the local tip they have a section where you can drop off unwanted paint and anyone who can't afford to buy any can take them.  What a great idea.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2019, 02:37:13 PM »

Yes much better than them going to waste.
On a different note - have you seen what some councils are doing.  At the local tip they have a section where you can drop off unwanted paint and anyone who can't afford to buy any can take them.  What a great idea.

that IS a good idea.  Our tip has a little shop where they sell clean books, CD and DVDs, ornaments, PAT tested appliances etc.  At very cheap prices.  The money goes to various local charities.  i've bought many things in there including lovely terracotta containers for the garden.

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2019, 08:26:43 PM »

Yeah! Anyone of us could be in need of one. Who knows what's round the corner! 🤷‍♀️

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2019, 02:55:56 PM »

One has to get a social worker, GP, Health Worker etc. to verify and hand out certificates to present at the food bank.  The Trussel Trust web-site is very clear. 

Apparently we are 2 pay cheques away from need food banks. 

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2019, 04:52:05 PM »

Yes that's what they say....😭

CLKD

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2019, 12:36:40 PM »

The list this week is:

mince pies
tinned ham/salmon
C. pudding
C. Cake
Box of biscuits
Childrens' selection box
Box of chocolates
large bars of chocolate
snacks and nibbles
UHT milk
Long life fruit juices
Cordial/squash
serviettes
crackers

I have 3 un-opened packets of serviettes in our attic ........... bought for Mum 3-4 years ago to give if anyone called unexpectedly. 

« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 04:11:18 PM by CLKD »

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »

One has to get a social worker, GP, Health Worker etc. to verify and hand out certificates to present at the food bank.  The Trussel Trust web-site is very clear. 

Apparently we are 2 pay cheques away from need food banks.

It was just the same when I was a young Mum but we got by (just)  with no foodbanks. 

I was literally first in the queue on a Monday morning  to get my “family allowance”.  We lived from day to day and I used to make things like corned beef hash, homemade soups and bread and lots of meals using mince or eggs.  We never went out when the kids were small because we couldn't afford a babysitter.  There were no free nursery places and no automatic free school meals for young children like there are today.  We couldn't afford to take holidays and we ran an old banger of a car.
We couldn't afford meals out or takeaways whereas I see plenty of young families doing so now.
Times were hard when I got married and there were no top ups or tax credits then - you just had to quickly learn to make your budget stretch and not expect any luxuries.

littleminnie

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2019, 02:23:10 PM »

Priorities have definitely changed.  I know of a family who are on benefits but have Sky TV, broadband and mobile phones. 

Sparrow

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2019, 03:01:32 PM »

I try not to judge other people and their circumstances.  It's impossible to know the exact situation they are in.  Broadband is now a necessity and most benifit forms are accessed online.  Mobiles need not be expensive or have costly plans, especially if they have no house phone. As for Sky, who knows.  Perhaps a family member pays or they have a dish but are not connected.

CLKD

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2019, 03:57:57 PM »

We had jumble sales, anyone remember those  ;D

We didn't run two vehicles.  Essential food vans visited the villages on a weekly basis: fish on Friday .......... Corona with return bottles.  Milk early in the morning, that was milk and cream; bread van called twice a week; a small village shop for the rest.  Main town was 7 miles away so it was a weekly trip on a Sat. to the fruit/flower/veg market, butchers' shop and shell fish stalls.  Fast food is too 'fast' and cooking lessons don't appear in many schools.

School had a bin at the end of Summer Term for uniforms to be dropped into for those less well off. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6