Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Food banks  (Read 13642 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Food banks
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2015, 05:49:19 PM »

The place I went to on Monday to deliver clothes/reading glasses no longer required have a list on-line of essentials required each week.

toffeecushion

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2015, 06:58:45 PM »

Not really a food bank, but I see a thing called helping handbags today.  They ask you to fill an old handbag with sanitary towels etc and they discreetly hand them out to the homeless.

CLKD

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »

I like that idea! 

Dorothy

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2015, 09:25:47 AM »

I know a group that does a similar thing with small rucksacks for both men and women.  It's a great idea.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »

It's that time of year so am resurrecting this thread

I buy:

hand soap
sanitary towels
loo rolls in packs of 4
tins of : what ever the Trussel Trust suggests on their web-site
pet food
tooth paste/brushes
bubble bath
shampoo

add to that seasonal goodies (Easter/Christmas): boxes of biscuits; Advent Calendars; boxes of C.mas cards for people to send out; packs of biros; small packs of writing noteless; squirty cream .......... things that someone without immediate funds would appreciate in order to make as 'normal' a celebration as possible

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2019, 07:56:58 PM »

R local store has a list of emergency/urgent requirements.  So I need to make my list and get shopping against what they need.

CLKD

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2019, 01:51:31 PM »

Local facebook has sent round a list of urgently required items

Do check and if you are able, add to the collection boxes in most large stores.  Our Primary School is also having collection boxes for those who can't get to town ......... so buying in the village shop benefits lots of people. 

Canned meat
Canned fish
Canned mince, sausages, curry sauces
Sanitary protection
Toilet rolls
Soap

seems to be short in our area

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2019, 02:16:10 PM »

Good I'm so glad they did.. with all the hype going on now about Xmas, I often wonder about people who are struggling so much!
At our local Morrison's there's a donation box for toys aswell this year....x

Eviepf

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2019, 04:22:15 PM »

I volunteer at a food bank and second what others say about contacting them (or looking on their Facebook page) to see what they need.

Impossible to generalise because what's needed probably varies from area to area (and even with us it varies a lot from week to week) but we're definitely always glad to see a selection box or two for families with children!

jillydoll

• Hiya
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2019, 04:22:33 PM »

Oh Christ, makes me cry when I think.....yes, what a good idea, every child loves a selection box.

Sparrow

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2019, 04:56:22 PM »

Gosh, isn't sad though that Food Banks are necessary in the 21st Century.  :(

I feel a trip to Aldi coming on.

littleminnie

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 05:05:35 PM »

Do you have to be vetted before they hand over the bags of food. (Never thought about it before and was just wondering)

Sparrow

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »

I wouldn't think so.  Our supermarket has bins for the local food bank so they can't vet them. 

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2019, 07:22:43 PM »

Do you have to be vetted before they hand over the bags of food. (Never thought about it before and was just wondering)

At many you have to show evidence  from a social worker, GP or CAB.  i remember watching a programme about a Nun called Sister Wendy who ran foodbanks and she said this was necessary because people were arriving in expensive cars and leaving with bagfuls of donated food so she insisted everyone showed evidence.  Also people were coming in more often than they were supposed to.

At smaller community foodbanks they are not so strict.  I have to drop someone off at a community centre each week where Tesco and Aldi give them all their perishable stuff which is on date.  potatoes, veg, saladstuff, bread.  they also have a large fridge with fresh herbs, soups, yoghurts etc.  Every item costs 5p which goes back into the centre funds.  I have also seen very well dressed people getting stuff from there so I guess people try it on everywhere. 

Sparrow

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2019, 07:28:12 PM »

Littleminnie was asking about donations.  For collections it's normal to have a note from particular agencies.  That's just common sense.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:31:08 PM by Shadyglade »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6