Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Appetite Question.  (Read 3527 times)

Kathleen

Appetite Question.
« on: November 01, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »

Hello ladies.

I've woken up with the usual jitters and wanted to ask a question. Does anyone else struggle to eat when they feel on edge?  My appetite disappears and I have to force myself to eat, infact I don't seem to feel hungry very often at all these days!
Does this ring any bells ladies and if so any suggestions to improve things?

Take care all.

K.

dazned

Re: Appetite Question.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »

Try to eat little nibbly things throughout the day and not get hung up about eating proper meals until appetite comes back. Ginger biscuits,porridge,bananas,toast,soup,milky drink,yogurt.........
That's how I cope when I get like that sometimes it lasted quite awhile with occasional weird things that I fancied ! Hope you feel better soon.

jedigirl

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2015, 11:32:34 AM »

Yes, I rarely have an appetite just eat for fuel.
On really bad days I have a protein drink. On the better days i try to stock up on high calorie foods like peanut butter, carbs, porridge with cream and nuts, scrambled eggs etc. I wouldn't worry too much. Keep up on yr fruit and veg and drink lots of water. x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2015, 03:51:19 PM »

Yep.  The gut is a weak point for many people, it's the fight/flight response.  The blood is diverted to the legs for running, initially from the gut which stops digesting when stressed.  However, knowing that what I feel is 'normal' doesn't help with eating when upset.  Then my brain gets into the cycle of 'must eat' - mainly to keep Himself happy. 

My stand-bys are dried fruits/nuts; toast though I can't bear the smell of food when my appetite disappears; dry cereal, I find those small packets of Kellogs really useful for nibbling on, OK there's added sugars but so what!; bananas; very thin Redibrek.

I found the trick is to eat before my body requires sustenance which helps ease that sinking nausea feeling.

honeybun

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »

My appetite disappears if I'm stressed in any way and the weight drops off really quickly. I have to be careful as being too thin is not a great look for me.

I agree with the others, just graze a bit and try not to focus to much on meal times.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2015, 04:57:59 PM »

I was diagnosed as anorexic-type at age 5 but no-one asked why or explained ……. I stayed 6st 2 for over 20 years ……. eating to remain upright.  Oh to swallow a tablet  :-\

Kathleen

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 05:41:47 PM »

Hello ladies.

Many thanks to you all for taking the time to reply. I've noted everyone's comments and I'll let you know if things improve. As I suspected, I'm not the only one !

Wishing you all well.

K.

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 08:04:42 PM »

Grazing suits me ………. when I'm OK my appetite is fine, the moment anxiety strikes ……

Hurdity

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 03:21:37 PM »

Hi Kathleen - sorry to hear you've got "the jitters". Am I remembering that you are well post-meno approx late 50's and on HRT? I might have got this wrong! If so I wonder why you are still getting "the jitters" as I thought this was more to do with fluctuating hormone levels ( and maybe low oestrogen) typical of peri-menopause?  Some progestogens in HRT can cause this type of feeling I have read - eg norethisterone - which also affects blood sugar too. Sorry if I'm off beam here but just wondering if a change in preparation or dose of something might help ( as well of course following all the suggestions re food from the others!).

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »

My appetite drops off when stressed, often it's due to my body being hungry but I don't recognise it.