Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gallbladder  (Read 12605 times)

Smokey

Gallbladder
« on: October 31, 2015, 02:16:25 PM »

I've just had my scan re-taken as previous one wasn't clear enough, it was initially to check my liver because of enzymes found in my last blood test, liver is fine but have been told I have quite a few Gallstones in my Gallbladder!

I'm now waiting for a letter from my Gp to confirm.

Anyone else had same?

dazned

Re: Gallbladder
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »

Hi I had my gallbladder and stones out a couple of years ago after a few very painful flare ups. It was keyhole surgery in one day out next,nothing to it  ;)

Smokey

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2015, 06:36:48 PM »

Thanks Dazned and Sparkle

That's just what I wanted to hear keyhole surgery and not open, encouraging news that's it straightforward.

Do you have to stick to a low fat diet now?

Ann x

Ju Ju

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 07:00:11 PM »

I had my gallbladder removed last December, after very painful flare gall stone attacks. I had keyhole surgery in day surgery and haven't looked back.

dazned

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 09:04:40 PM »

Well we're all supposed to aren't we    ::)

I just eat normal ,I did ask if I needed to keep a special diet and they said no not really your body would soon tell you what it could and couldn't handle. Have found if I eat too much fried stuff I feel a bit sick  ;)

CJ-sleepless

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 10:54:46 AM »

I had mine out keyhole as a day case also.   The only issue I've had is that I can't take codeine now - I believe its called sphincter of oddi dysfunction and can happen sometimes after gallbladder removal. If I take any opiates I get the pain as if the gallstones were still there - very unpleasant!

countrybumpkin

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2015, 06:54:46 PM »

I have had gallstones for 20 years but thankfully they don't bother me and I don't bother them!  Huge numbers of people have them without any symptoms or problems but if they are causing trouble as in attacks or altered liver enzymes then its best to get rid.

I cannot eat pastry but thats it and I haven't eaten pastry after my first attack over 20 years ago.  I have liver blood test twice a year and every 2-3 years an ultrasound but as long as I have no attacks and my bloods are okay I can keep them!

Altered liver enzymes can be because a stone has become stuck and is blocking the bile duct so you do need further tests.  Also liver enzymes can take up to 6 weeks to return to normal whatever the cause so I would imagine they will be wanting to retest you before any talk of surgery because if they return to normal then surgery may not be needed.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2015, 07:28:07 PM »

Small stones can be zapped by laser can't they  :-\ so that they break up, similar to kidney stones which are then passed without problems.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 09:10:28 PM »

They don't do the zapping anymore because too many people then got small bits blocking their bile ducts and in time they came back anyway. They also used to use drugs as well but it took about 6 months of taking them to work and they found that they always came back and the drugs had side effects.

Now they just leave well alone if they are not bothering you or they take the gallbladder out.  Keyhome made the other things obsolete.

Smokey

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 11:49:51 AM »

Thanks everyone

I really appreciate all your help and everyone's views it's really helpful.

I'll let you know how I get on, and what the doctors letter says.

Ann x

wombat62

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 10:13:58 PM »

Hi

I had an attack but also with pancreatitis as well. Well, bloods say that's what it was but scan showed no signs of inflammation or scarring. Have to have appt with consultant to decide what it was and what to do next. Not sure what set it off, maybe a week of eating lunch but no dinner and falling off the lower fat diet a bit.  Annoying thing is that I've never even had so much of a twinge when eating except for one incident a few months back which seems to have been the same thing but short and sharp whereas the last attack wasn't so painful but went on for much longer.

Anyone else had this combination?

Cheers...

wombat62

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 02:46:16 AM »

I know I had one large one, tomorrow I find out if it has friends!

Apparently liver enzymes were raised 3 days afterwards so back for more tests.

countrybumpkin

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 10:44:43 AM »

I know I had one large one, tomorrow I find out if it has friends!

Apparently liver enzymes were raised 3 days afterwards so back for more tests.

Having one large gallstone seems to always cause the most trouble as it blocks the duct more easily when it moves. Having tiny ones means they can go down the tube so to speak! I have hundreds of tiny ones that don't cause me any problems as long as I never ever eat any pastry and avoid other than tiny amounts cream or melted cheese ( strangely cold cheese is fine!).

Hope your tests give you an answer and the consultant a cure.

peacemakerukuk

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »

I had my gallbladder out by keyhole surgery too - a year ago next week actually  :).  Its so nice to not be in constant pain all the time.  I was told to eat as normal too - everyone is individual and you'll know what your body doesn't like.  Good luck x

wombat62

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 06:35:23 AM »

Hi

It seems that I've grown a few more smaller ones since the original one was found last year. Annoying as I have been watching what I eat and exercising more and looking out for twinges if I do have something naughty but there have been none except for this time. Must have bad bile!

So see what the consultant says whether it can be managed or whether it comes out at some stage. I know some people have pain all the time so I can understand it has to go. Problem is you never know when it might be upset and probably at the wrong time!

I'll let you know how we go when we see the gastro!
Pages: [1] 2 3