Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Can I just have a grumble about prescriptions  (Read 2587 times)

Sunnydays

Can I just have a grumble about prescriptions
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:01:34 PM »

Grrrrrrr!
When prescribing my hrt patch my GP has put a generic term - estrodiol (however you spell it). The first prescription was made for just 8 patches by mistKe ( I think GP forgot I need 2 patches as week as this was supposed to be 2months supply). The pharmacist dispensed Evorel but kindly changed it to estradot upon my request.
Just been in to pick up script for 3 months and pharmacist will not give out estradot unless it specifies that brand - they will always issue cheaper one which in this case is Evorel.  I want estradot - it's smaller and suits me well.
So I dash to GP and they'll reissue on Monday, then I'll go back to the pharmacy and they'll dispense what I want........!
So I know it will be sorted and I know why it has to be  done like this and the pharmacy assistant was very helpful and will ensure some in stock Monday for me as I'll be on my last patch but aaaaaaaagh! What a blinking palava!!!!

That feels better :)) ( thank goodness I'm no longer having daily progesterone or I'd have screamed  - see previous post re calm and tranquil)
Thanks for listening to my rant!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Can I just have a grumble about prescriptions
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:13:18 PM »

In these days of communication, there seems to be lack of it!  Why not an e-mail to the Pharmacy or pick up the bl***y 'phone  :bang:

Phew, better now  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:24:15 PM »

My prescription is for estrodiol patches as well and have been given whatever is in stock at the chemist. I was worried at first as the gynaecologist prescribed estradot. I usually get evoral, but to be honest have not noticed any difference whatever brand.

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »

I was supposed to get my six months worth and was only given three. I called the surgery and a "note" will be left with the nurse.

Bloomin annoying.

Honeyb
x

Sunnydays

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 04:39:54 PM »

I agree Ju Ju  - they are the same contents it's just that my preference is for these smaller ones plus they don't itch me at all unlike the Evorel.
Yes, banging ones head against a wall is often how it feels!
And now we have electronic scripts which is an excellent idea - as long as the receiving computers are blinking working!
All god fun - see how calm I am about it :))

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 04:48:10 PM »

What you like when cross then  :D

Briony

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 12:55:51 PM »

Does anyone else have the problems I have with amount of medication prescribed?
My previous city based GP would always prescribe 3 or 6 months' worth of medication for anything long term. However, my new surgery is a small village one with its own pharmacy. You dont get paper prescriptions, but by the time you come out of the surgery, it's all there waiting for you in a little bag. Trouble is, they only keep one month's stock in for most things - which makes it very expensive! I asked if I could have more in one go, but she said they didn't have the space to store large amounts. I get the impression that this is 'how it works' and that it would be considered churlish to request a written prescription to take elsewhere. Trouble is, I really don't want to upset them as in every other respect, they are fantastic. Every doctor, receptionist, nurse, pharmacist - cannot praise them enough - so don't want to upset things or appear awkward!  Apart from the money, it's also the time having to drive over there every month (our village doesn't have a surgery so I have to drive to a neighbouring one).
I guess we cant have it all!

Sunnydays

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »

My Surgery used to be like that Briony however now that I have a pharmacy within one mile of where I live I'm not allowed to have my surgery dispense!
I guess it's better having a fantastic surgery - what about one of those prepayment card thingys which I understand can save you quite a lot of money if you have regular prescriptions?  Alternatively, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked for a paper script for 6 months supply to save you driving out there each month (they may even have the electronic system to send to a pharmacy near to you!)

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 04:22:43 PM »

Things have changed and I think that to stop patients hoarding medications which will probably therefore never be used: costing the NHS £Ms each month : it was decided that a repeat prescription would only be made up every 4 weeks.  I've never had a GP make up more than 4 week's supply.  If I have to order earlier i.e. before a holiday, they gets a bit huffy  ;D …. one moment I can't go anywhere due to anxiety, the next I"m asking for meds early  ::)

Why not ask at the Surgery?  Our local ones are 'tied' into Lloyds ….. also, another reason was to stop people 'trading' drugs and also, if a small amount is stored in the village Pharmacies, they are less likely to be broken into ………

lancashirelass

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 04:32:38 PM »

I audit several ccgs and am actively encouraging gps to do more.than 4.weeks supply particularly if it is an.established drug the patient has been taking for a while.    It makes.much.more sense timewise for.the gp to do 1 script every few.months then every 4 weeks.  Yes there is a.risk of wastage if a drug has to.be.changed.but for most repeat scripts the drugs are used. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 04:35:11 PM by lancashirelass »

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 04:39:23 PM »

Interesting because locally (Oxfordshire border) it has been found that a LOT of medicines have been returned un-opened.  More affluent area  :-\ would it make a difference?

lancashirelass

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 04:52:30 PM »

Yes it can.  Also on difference in patients.older people just tend to accept whatever the surgery say areas with a younger demographic tend to query lower supplies. 

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2015, 04:54:39 PM »

I wonder if the older generation (what ever age that starts at) hoard more medicines?

Sunnydays

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2015, 05:03:08 PM »

Mine was happy to do 3 months when on repeat prescription ( not the darned one I wanted of course but hey!!)
They did 2 months initially for a new one to see how it went and if suited.
I can see why 4 weeks but wow what a time waster for everyone! GP time signing etc vs medicines wasted......
I must add on the end of all this my GP surgery is brill :))

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2015, 05:26:33 PM »

I had a pre-paid until I turned 60  ;)