Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Periods  (Read 4181 times)

Tigger99

Periods
« on: October 30, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »

Is it normal for periods to become more frequent. The pattern of my periods has now changed completely. I seem to bleed for approx. 2 weeks, usually 2 days are heavy the rest not a lot. I will then either get 7 or 14 days off and then it starts all over again. When I don't have a period I have a lot of clear stretchy discharge, sorry for tmi! :)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Periods
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 04:14:15 PM »

'normal' ……. mine became intermittently less but other ladies find they bleed/not/bleed ……. with little or no gaps between  ::)

dahliagirl

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 04:19:11 PM »

Yes - it is what I got - lack of ovulation and no corpus luteum so no progesterone phase in your cycle.  So you get oestrogen breakthrough bleeding and withdrawal bleeding as your oestrogen levels go up and down and as the lining builds up and breaks away in bits.

toffeecushion

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »

My periods are really messed up.  They were lasting for 2 weeks with 2 - 4 weeks in between.  This one has lasted 4 weeks and the previous one lasted 3 weeks and I only had 1 week in between.  My longest one lasted 7 weeks ???

Machair

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 08:28:35 PM »

Tigger that is exactly what I have- lots of clear stretchy discharge. I think this may be what some of us endure - you may be about to miss periods though. How old are you and have you skipped yet? I had this sort of pattern just prior to my first long gap - then they returned,  and now after another long gap I have the same stretchy mucus and PMT so am about to have the periods again, and I am sure I will have messed up bleeding like you describe.
Can't say it is normal but it is certainly my experience. :)

Dana

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 06:23:10 AM »

Is it normal for periods to become more frequent. The pattern of my periods has now changed completely. I seem to bleed for approx. 2 weeks, usually 2 days are heavy the rest not a lot. I will then either get 7 or 14 days off and then it starts all over again. When I don't have a period I have a lot of clear stretchy discharge, sorry for tmi! :)

Yes. For probably a good couple of years my periods actually got closer together - like every 3 weeks or so, and then eventually started getting further apart. The length of the bleed didn't change much, but the frequency certainly did. When I asked my doctor about it she said it was perfectly normal, and that the idea that periods always become more infrequent is a bit of a myth, especially in early peri. Periods just basically become unreliable, and that could mean futher apart or closer together.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 06:24:41 AM by Dana »

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 08:03:47 AM »

My periods are fairly light and short. They seem to get closer together. There were only 23 days between my last periods.

I have noticed some mood symptoms fairly consistently appering on days 7-9 of my cycle (ie a few days after my period ends). I suffer from low mood, anxiety and insomnia. Anyone have any suggestions for why this happens? It seems like the symptoms come only a few days before ovulation, if that matters.

Machair

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 08:19:07 AM »

Sparkle did you suffer badly from PMT in your younger days? Also did you have a 28 day cycle? I ask this as I used to have more like 32-36 days between periods, and the build up was hell after day 26. I think that people who had PMT severely seem to have the problems we are having with days and days of stretchy mucus and PMT in peri- maybe it is too much oestrogen as stretchy mucus is a sign of high oestrogen levels.

Also I have read too that longer cycle histories like mine lead to later meno. My friends who had short cycles in their 40s finished with peri by 50, whereas maybe folk with longer cycles have more eggs to use up? I am 55 and still going on with this, but all my cycles in life prior to peri were of 5 weeks duration- all my babies were 10 days late as well which fits in with this too as I used to ovulate on about day 19.

Still the PMT is dreadful I have had it all week. Head like cotton wool, moody, hot at night, restless and quite honestly a living nightmare! Everyday I think it must be coming and all I get is stretchy mucus!

TheDuchess

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2015, 09:48:12 AM »

Be grateful for your normal vaginal discharge- 'clear stretchy mucus'! Once you are post meno you'll eventually be as dry as a bone and be putting it back with whatever you decide to use!

I don't think there is any evidence that longer cycles = late menopause. It's a natural variation and anything from 24 -35 days is normal. I had cycles anywhere from 28-35 days in my late teens to early 30s- often averaging 32. In my 40s they were more like 28-29 days and once over 50 they were shorter - around 26 days. Just before my periods eventually stopped I had a couple of very short cycles of 20 and 17 days. Fortunately I never had any heavy bleeding and the whole peri stage- in terms of erratic cycles- lasted no more than around a year.

You can do a lot with diet for PMS - loads of info on the web.

Machair

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »

Well Sparkle that is quite a story and really glad you had twins that must be so lovely. I think people with PMT have worse problems in peri hormonally speaking, at least it seems like people I know have done. It seems to get worse before periods as they are delayed. I can't believe I haven't started today- it is stellar!

Mary G

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »

Sounds like a classic case of low progesterone to me.  It could be that your oestrogen/progesterone ratios are out of line.

Machair

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2015, 10:50:40 PM »

Haha yes my other half snores too and he says he doesn't sleep much! He is lucky not to have me attacking him with a sharp object today but I won't - adore him too much!