Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Author Topic: Anyone else take Yaz?  (Read 2794 times)

Chi chi

Anyone else take Yaz?
« on: October 29, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »

Just wondering if I'm the only one?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Anyone else take Yaz?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:39:27 PM »

If you do a search for 'yaz' you'll see  ;) - I bumped one thread 4 U

Chi chi

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 06:56:22 PM »

Seems I am the only one  ???

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 06:58:43 PM »

……. back to your other thread then?

Briony

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:10:56 PM »

Try mums et, perhaps? X

Alice

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 11:08:42 AM »

I take Yaz Chi chi and have done for 5 years now.  My doctor recommended it when I was having an erratic time in peri-menopause and it has been wonderful.  No depression, no mood swings, lots of energy and great skin.  The progesterone in YAZ (drospirenone)  is closest to bio-identical and was well tolerated. 

Negatives are 10lb weight gain (though maybe I eat and drink too much!) and complete loss of sexual response.  As I was ending a dysfunctional relationship at the time and have remained single since, that has not been a huge problem.  Overall, I have felt fabulous.

Now that I am 57 my doctor has suggested I transfer from YAZ to HRT.  In theory that sounds like a good idea but in practice I have had a terrible time transitioning (tried for 3 months with all sorts of terrible physical and emotional side effects) and have recommenced taking YAZ. 

What I would like to do now is make a plan to reduce YAZ and commence bio-identical hormones at the same time so the consequences are not as dire as when I went cold turkey.  Not sure how to manage this as what is Ethinyl estradiol 20mcg equivalent in estrogen?

That is my troubling issue, in relation to your enquiry: I have found YAZ to be excellent and effortless.  The only reason I am now reluctantly stop taking it is on doctor's advice and because I (also reluctantly) think I should make an effort to have another sexual relationship before my life ends - and I will need some kind of sexual desire and response to achieve this! 

Chi chi

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 01:26:32 PM »

Hi Alice, thanks for that  :) just a thought but have you thought about asking for Testim gel? I'm currently using this alongside the Yaz. I've been using it ever since I started thus whole HRT thing and have had good results with it  ;)

Can I ask if you had any initial side effects when you first started the Yaz? Are you prog intolerant in general?

Thanks  :)

Alice

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2015, 11:16:24 PM »

Hi Chi chi.  I have not read your YAZ diary but will having now seen it.   

For me, YAZ provided a base level hormonal stability that allowed enough physical energy and emotional strength to deal with some difficult issues that were occurring in my life during peri-menopause.  I did not have any early side-effects.  From the start I felt better - more emotionally balanced and in control.  The sexual response issue was like flicking a light switch off.  Immediate and obvious.  Weight gain was fairly quick but not immediate - and I did eat and drink more - though my hunger was not ravenous as I found when trailing tibolone.

I have tried a 1% Testosterone cream to try to boost sexual response - it was unsuccessful because I did not persevere for longer than a month as I did not like the side effects - agitated feelings particularly. 

In Australia, where I am writing from, we have a very limited range of HRT available.  For example, Ultrageston is not licensed for prescription/sale.  I am very progesterone intolerant and the terrible side effects I experienced while trailing HRT earlier this year were caused by various progestins. 

I think the issue with YAZ for me now is that it is quite high in progestin  which is required for contraception but inappropriate for HRT.  I have no idea what Estradiol equivalent I am taking and that is potentially an issue too.  I am hoping by slowly reducing YAZ and adding estradiol  into the mix that will resolve my problems transitioning to HRT.  Certainly when I was on a three month trial off YAZ and taking bio identical estrogen only, my sex drive and response was reawakened - even if everything else fell apart!

Angelique seemed a good option HRT as it has the same progestin with bio-identical estrogen but the product available in Australia is 1mg Estradiol to 2 mg drospirenone which is quite progestin dominant compared to the US version which is 1mg Estradiol to 0.5mg drospirenone.  The high progestin caused me terrible side-effects the worst being crushing/suicidal depression when I tried it. (Despite it being well tolerated in the YAZ balance of Ethinyl estradiol)  Perhaps adding additional Estradiol to this pill would work - but how much to equate to YAZ?)

I do find this whole trial and error HRT experiment frustrating and distressing.  It is so time consuming and finding doctors who care enough to do more than follow the official line (which seems similar in Australia to UK) is difficult and expensive.  This web-site has been invaluable in providing information and sharing personal experiences to learn from.  Thank goodness for the international Internet!