Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Is itching/****ly skin another menopause symptom?  (Read 11534 times)

Jan1163

Is itching/****ly skin another menopause symptom?
« on: October 29, 2015, 11:49:50 AM »

Hi, I noticed yesterday when I woke up that I was a bit itchy round my upper body, mainly face and neck/shoulders, but a bit on my arms as well.  I've been having hot flushes for about a month/6 weeks and get very hot at night.  It's not relentless itching that's driving me mad, more like little ****les from tiny pins and a feeling of dry and tight skin.  I've taken an anti-histamine this morning, in case it helps.  There's no visible sign, no rash or redness or anything.  The only thing I can think of to cause a reaction is a new shampoo, but I wouldn't think that would affect my arms.

Like many of you, I get over anxious about my health and whenever a symptom presents itself, jump to the very worst possible case scenario.  I was awake last night worrying about pancreatic cancer, because of having stomach problems (I do have IBS) and itching. 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Is itching/****ly skin another menopause symptom?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 12:56:24 PM »

Yep.

Taz2

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 02:20:51 PM »

Hi Jan - lack of oestrogen can cause dry, itchy skin along with dry hair too. I do find that when I'm not on HRT this is much more noticeable. Use a good quality body lotion every day to help your skin.

I know what you  mean about worrying about aspects of your health. I think that the sort of itching you get from liver or pancreatic problems is an all-over itch which is really distressing. A friend's daughter had this when she had a liver problem. She literally scratched her skin red-raw.

Taz x

Jan1163

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »

Aww thanks folks, that's reassuring.  :)  I've actually been working a lot on hair condition and combating dryness, using non-sulphate and silicone conditioner for a couple of years, I soak with coconut oil overnight weekly, and I've just swapped to henna/indogo, rather than chemical dyes, so I maybe wouldn't notice it so much on my hair.   The ****ling has actually been much better today, since I took the anti-histamine this morning.  Wish I could get rid rid of the health anxiety, I try my best to manage it, but it's always there ready to pop up and torment me, whenever I have any niggling little symptom. 

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 05:38:35 PM »

We have threads on most things it seems  ::)

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 06:20:58 PM »

Oh yes, no topic is too bizarre - I logged in the other day and clicked on 'unread since last visit' and collapsed into giggles at the weird and wonderful list of topic headings  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »

Sometimes we talk about menopause  ::)

mandypepe

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »

This is an interesting discussion. Ive realised I'm tickly all down my arms, face, neck, back and breasts . It's as though a little spider is walking along my skin when it's my arms. But my back and breasts are more itchy feeling rather than tickle.  I still don't know totally if I'm perimenopausal but this could be a symptom to add to my others.

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »

Yep.  As oestrogen levels drop everything gets dry ……..

Briony

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »

This is an interesting discussion. Ive realised I'm tickly all down my arms, face, neck, back and breasts . It's as though a little spider is walking along my skin when it's my arms. But my back and breasts are more itchy feeling rather than tickle.  I still don't know totally if I'm perimenopausal but this could be a symptom to add to my others.

Google 34 symptoms of peri menopause. You'll be amazed how many are familiar!