Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sandrena Gel / Weight Gain??  (Read 26480 times)

luv2laff

Sandrena Gel / Weight Gain??
« on: November 06, 2015, 02:01:09 PM »

Hi ... I've been using Sandrena Gel (1mg per day) for 18 months and have felt good from it - no menopausal 'signs' such as flushes, mood swings etc (I'm 51).  However since starting using Sandrena I've gained over a stone in weight.  I can't completely blame the gel obviously, but I was thinking of doing a little experiment to see what happens.  I don't want to stop using it completely but thought of dropping the 'dosage' to 0.5mg a day instead of 1mg.  My question is ... do you think I should just use a 1mg sachet on alternate days? Or should I try to use just half a sachet each day?  Would skipping alternate days be detrimental in any way or doesn't it matter?
Thanks for any thoughts, advice or suggestions  :-* xxx

Hurdity

Re: Sandrena Gel / Weight Gain??
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »

Hi luv2laff

I would suggest you are better off applying 0.5 mg per day rather than using the gel every alternate day. The prescribing info for Oestrogel say that when treatment is stopped estradiol levels return to baseline in 72 hours, so on this basis they will be falling well before then. Therefore to give yourself as consistent dose as possible I would use daily as recommended.

You might find that your symptoms return though if your body has acclimatised to that dose.

Have you thought of losing weight in other ways? You know - the usual ones - increasing exercise, strengthening muscles, changing your diet so that it's less calorific etc? It may well just be coincidence as you say - your metabolism may be slowing for a variety of reasons.

Also have you had a thyroid function tests and if so what was the result? Decreasing thryoiid function is common in women as they age - and can cause weight gain even at sub-clinical levels ( ie levels below which treatment is not normally given).

Hope this helps  :)

Hurdity x

luv2laff

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 03:35:06 PM »

Thanks for that useful advice Hurdity.  I've recently attempted slimming in the conventional ways and apart from losing the odd couple of pounds have been very disappointed.  I agree there's definitely a change in metabolism as you get older - even in my 40s I found weight loss quite easy when I stuck with it, but since turning 50 its very disheartening when you are doing your best with no results.

After reading your advice I think I'll stick with the daily 1mg of Sandrena but also request a thyroid check from my GP to see if that's perhaps got anything to do with it.

Thanks again for your useful response, its much appreciated  :) xxx

Meeka

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:28:23 PM »

I believe some weight gain can be contributed to bone density improving.   I think we can see ourselves though if we have gained fat.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 05:31:00 PM »

Have you gained weight on the scales or has your visual body image altered?  My middle age spread shape altered in May so I look fatter from when I'm looking downwards  ::) but on the scales ………. no difference.

pepperminty

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 06:10:27 PM »

This weight gain malarkey is a mare. Before the HRT I had gained weight around my stomach and hips, and found it practically impossible to loose anything. But since taking the HRT I have my waste back and have lost a stone in weight. So does HRT make you  more liable to gain or loose weight?

Peppermintyxx

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2015, 07:46:05 PM »

Depends.  If someone feels poorly they are less likely to eat 'well' or exercise enough which may equal weight gain.  As they begin to recover then they may improve their diet and exercise again  :-\ - this is true across all the medical conditions.

Hurdity

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2015, 11:06:29 PM »

Here is the info about weight gain, menopause and HRT from this site:
http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/weightgain.php

You could still be the same weight but the distribution of fat changes, leading to the illusion that weight has been gained -- because it appears round the middle instead of hips and thighs.

I would love my few extra pounds to go back to these areas so that I could be more shapely - but even though I am on HRT, and in my early 60's I still have more of a straight down figure  :( There is absolutely nothing I can do about it -  since I go to exercise classes ( 3 per week) 2 of which include abs exercises. I am on a sort of diet at the moment ( since mid Sept and have managed to lose over 4 pounds which is amazing for me ( v short, medium frame) - but I've only lost half an inch from my waist - it's gone mainly from hips and thighs which didn't really need to lose any!!

If you are well post-meno you are stuck with the apple shape even if you're not overweight - however in peri you should be able to retain it your curves to some extent! At least HRT has maintained my boobs which keep me in proportion - they were getting a bit shrunken 8 years ago especially after a few children ::)!!!

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 05:28:55 PM »

:thankyou: I've never known what shape I am supposed to be  ::)

It's my apron that sagged in May …… in recent weeks I've needed to take my belt in another notch.  What's that about  ::)

I rarely step onto the scales, my GP weighed me in Sept. but I didn't ask and he didn't mention what he'd seen  ;D

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 05:40:18 PM »

Apron  :-\

Not sure about the supposed CLKD - it's just the general principles - so you would probably have had more of a waist (ie smaller measurment) compared to hips before menopause, and now even if you are very slim (which I think you are!) you may well find a bit of thickening and your waist:hip ratio is slightly bigger. Not everyone will fit exactly I'm sure. Dunno about the belt - depends where it sits! If it's low slung ( ow -waisted) then that does fit with the general re-distribution -  less on hips? No need to weigh yourself unless very overweight - but body measurements probably provide a better indication or tha fit of your clothes!! That's how I tell when I've put on weight, but then I do start avidly weighing myself!!

Hurdity x