Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So do l or don't l.....??  (Read 5994 times)

skkb

So do l or don't l.....??
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:05:17 AM »

Doctors appointment tomorrow to ask about going back on hrt after a nine month break at 65 years of age. Nine MISERABLE months. Have been reading up on it all yet again and still no clearer. These horrendous sweats could continue for years which fills me with dread......I thought they would have subsided now, I must just be one of the unlucky ones.....

thorntrees

Re: So do l or don't l.....??
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:54:50 AM »

I'm in the 'unlucky club' as well. Still get sweats at 66 and 8 years post menopause.
HRT not an option but Citalopram a bit of a help though don't like being on it.
Hope your appt goes well, will be interested to see what your doctor can do to help.
Fingers crossed for you.

Thorntrees

skkb

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »

Thanks Thorntrees, what is Citalopram and what is it prescribed for.....may mention it to the doc!!

thorntrees

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 11:00:03 AM »

Citalopram is an AD but some studies have shown it helps reduce flushes for some women. I really didn't want to go that route but was desperate to try anything. I think it helps but it could just be that the sweats are hopefully just subsiding with time. Scared though to taper off it (it can't be stopped suddenly) in case it is helping more than I think and I will be back to square one- It never occurred to me years ago that I would still be troubled by menopause symptoms so far down the road. I keep telling myself it must end sometime but who knows!.

Thorntrees

skkb

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 11:08:44 AM »

I feel exactly the same, meno kicked in for me at 52 and I never thought for a second I would still be suffering 13 years on.....makes me laugh when you hear the medical professionals say "usually up to 5 years"..... I wish. Don't really want to take AD's though. Oh well, will see what the doc says. Thanks

TheDuchess

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:47:18 PM »

Is your dr likely to agree with you? (You want to go back on it?)
I understand they cannot refuse as long as you are informed of the stats (risks) then the choice is yours - assuming you have no existing medical conditions that contribute a higher risk. If you want it- ask for it!!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 12:51:35 PM »

GPs can and do refuse …….. they can simply ignore a patient's request by fobbing them off.

Therefore one needs to have a Plan, i.e. make a double appt with the GP and discuss, discuss, discuss ….. time can give a better understanding on both sides.  Or, make an appt with the Practice Nurse!

If the regime helped and you are suffering, pointing out that you want quality of Life!  As for not wanting to take ADs Thorntrees?  I was the same but once I accepted the fact that I have to take anti-depressants for Life, otherwise …….. I was able to move forwards.

After all, if you are hungry, do you not sleep  ;)

Go for it ……….   Skkb - and let us know how you get on!

thorntrees

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 02:27:21 PM »

I wasn't criticising taking ADs and I accept that for lots of people they have to be taken for life. I only meant I am not sure how much they are helping me personally as I began taking them to help with flushes and sweats and not with anxiety. The only way to find out is to stop them and I  admit to being wary of trying and if I still need them then having to go through the start up process again.

Thorntrees

Winterose

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 02:29:08 PM »

You can always quote the 10% breast cancer risk with one large glass of wine a day - puts the HRt into perspective, probably best not done together!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 05:23:49 PM »

Thorntrees - if you feel better generally, stick with what you know ?  after all, we are getting to That Time of Year  ???

Hurdity

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 11:16:56 PM »

Hi skkb

Well I think you know what my response will be!

If you are miserable then yes should be the answer. The good news is that you would not be a completely new starter on HRT. From what I remember off the top of my head the risks (re heart etc) was that women long past meno have already experienced some damage to arteries which can (small risk) result in stroke/?clot if oral HRT is then started (for the first time) 10 years beyond menopause or post 60. That's approximately it anyway....

I can see you might meet with resistance but the previous comments about risk (breast and alcohol) sound like a good tack!

It doesn't bode well for me either since I once tried to come off 3 years ago and symptoms came back, and tried to reduce the dose a couple of years ago and symptoms came back - although I haven't tried it for as long as 9 months though. I was thinking when I stopped working (not for at least a couple of years) I wouldn't mind the symptoms but sounds like this is not a good experience for you anyway  :(

Good luck anyway skkb and let us know how you get on  :)

Hurdity x

andius

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 02:50:39 AM »

I say go for it! Quality of life issue.

A

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »

Yep, go for it!  Try not to spend too much time wondering …….  ;)

skkb

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 06:45:01 PM »

Doctor has given me clonidine to try.....have read about it, lowers blood pressure is one use for it, my BP has never been an issue and not keen to mess with it!!! Also when I got the prescription home there on the box in bold type AVOID ALCOHOL.......seriously, with Christmas looming, so I rang the pharmacist who confirmed clonidine and alcohol "could" lower my BP and make me feel dizzy, lightheaded or faint......I give up

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 07:01:52 PM »

:-\ …… why is alcohol so important when you want to feel better …….  :-X
Pages: [1] 2