Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please have a look at the questionnaire page if you have a spare minute.

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Changing GP time  (Read 10502 times)

Briony

Re: Changing GP time
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 11:13:03 PM »

Changing gp was the best thing I ever did. Could kick myself for not doing it sooner. The process is very straight forward. I eventually found a great doctor with an interest in gyne issues (DRCOG) and have never looked back. She knew of this site, knew of the '34 symptoms of peri menopause' and was also aware only 65 per cent of ladies, on average, have hot flushes. (My estrogen was down to post menopausal levels when measured, but only ever had the chills, never flushes).

How I found this practice: word of mouth, NHS site reviews, visiting surgeries in person to ask if they were taking  on new patients (gives you a chance to see what reception you get, look at types of posters/info on display, whether they have any in house support groups). Sounds a bit OTT, but it really is worth it in the long term.  ;) X
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 11:16:03 PM by Briony »

Briony

jorainbow

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »

I'm going in armed with info and not going to listen to 'well it's probably your age! '. I'm no GP but when the symptoms are there and also follow the same pattern i.e. get worse every month at the same time there are natural dips in oestrogen, then surely there's a link! I remember when my periods completely stopped a few years ago I still got pms and other monthly symptoms but they were having none of it becayse i was not having periods i couldnt have PMS 😯😯Pricey- exactly my thoughts too as I have regular periods. I get horribly dry eyes on waking up with blurry which again comes and goes each month.... ..... 

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 04:23:58 PM »

"I've got all these symptoms as well as hot sweats and flushes" might swing it  ;)

Wave a copy of MM magazine at your GP too ….. and let us know!

jorainbow

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »

Update late due to having to cancel the initial appointment. Still have a little blood in urine so repeating that in 5 days as the first sample was after my period. This GP thinks the vagifem was too high in oestrogen so I have ovestin cream 2 weeks daily then twice weekly. No discussion re other symptoms but she wasn't the GP I want to see so that will wait 😊😊😊

CLKD

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 04:32:26 PM »

Was she more sympathetic, in which case, stick with her.  You may find that you need 2-3 weeks initial loading with the Ovestin but it really does work for me.  I lay on the bed, relaxed and insert - job done  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 05:48:12 PM »

Jorainbow - I am confused by what your GP has said. Why would Vagifem cause you to have blood in the urine? To me the only way this would occur is if your tissues were so thin at the start of treatment that just the act of repeatedly inserting that blue plastic tube could cause trauma to the vaginal walls, lead to bruising and perhaps almost undetectable bleeding which might show as blood in urine. Anyone else got any other take on that? How can Vagifem give you too much oestrogen? The dose is minute!!

However estriol cream (as in Ovestin) will do the same job so hopefully this will help with vaginal symptoms  :)

Hurdity x

jorainbow

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 08:10:51 PM »

Hi Hurdity. Just checked back through my posts and the urine sample was mentioned on another and not related to the vagifem hence the confusion.  It was a repeat dipstick due to blood in my last one. I haven't used vagifem since July after having bad cramps spotting anxiety and extreme tiredness that stopped as soon as I stopped using it.  I assume any extra oestrogen on top of what I already produce could cause symptoms??  I have read other users having the same issues so guessing as ovestin is weaker it may not cause as many issues? I'm not sure and to be honest get really confused about the whole thing.

CLKD

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 08:12:53 PM »

The body doesn't take up enough oestrogen with Vagifem or Ovestin to make any difference to the body  ;).  A dipstick test is about as good as useless  >:(  :-X

See how you get on with the Ovestin, you need something otherwise your vagina will shrivel up and be very painful/uncofmoratlbe/useless …… for me it was like razor blades up there  :o

jorainbow

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 08:20:04 PM »

Wow.. That's really something to look forward to thanks! I'm more confused now as on this forum others have mentioned side effects and some uptake in the initial phase??? 

CLKD

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 08:24:33 PM »

Maybe I wasn't clear enough.  Some ladies have cramps when first staring Vagifem …….. Ovestin1mg has suited my needs thus far.  Because it is 'local' there is little uptake other than in the vaginal walls in that the cream doesn't seep, only where it's required.  It plumps up where required  ;) it doesn't spread elsewhere in the body. 

One requires treatment for vaginal atrophy because the body begins to dry out as oestrogen levels drop: that's vagina, eyes, nostrils, anus, throat, ears ……… so although one might be producing oestrogen as it drops off the body often requires replacement and if possible, as local to the problem eases symptoms.

Clear as mud  ;D

jorainbow

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »

That's what I thought thanks for clarifying. I'll give it a whirl and see if it works

Dorothy

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2015, 11:34:58 PM »

I feel a bit 'funny' half an hour or so after using Ovestin but it passes off quickly and the benefits are worth putting up with the side effects. 

jorainbow

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2015, 08:16:40 AM »

Hi Dorothy. Funny as in tummy cramps and stinging feeling cos that's what I have today after using last night. ....? 

Hurdity

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2015, 09:22:20 AM »

Hi jorainbow

As CLKD says there is so little take up of Vagifem the amount is minimal but in the first two weeks if you have VA then some of it gets into the system but once your tissues are plumped up then this lessens so that it is completely insignificant. If you have plenty of your own oestrogen you should notice any difference from the very slight rise (in your body) from the Vagifem. Perhaps the act of poking that long turquoise tube inside can itself cause cramps? I sometimes go in a bit too far with mine and it hits the cervix or something else. Yes good idea to do it at night!

If you have a stinging feeling then that does sound like perhaps the filler or the trauma of insertion maybe? Hopefully it will pass as it begins to do its stuff  :)

Hurdity x
Pages: 1 [2] 3