Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Changing HRT patches  (Read 7431 times)

Goosieloosie

Changing HRT patches
« on: October 29, 2015, 04:48:40 PM »

I'm new to HRT & have been put on Evorel conti patches. On change over days do you have to stick to the same time that you change them, roughly?? Or can you change them at anytime in that day? I put my first one on around 6pm & changed it to put the second one on around 11pm after my bath but what if I decided to change it in the morning (on the same day) as the time difference would be about 15 hours?? Should the gap be quite close?

Taz2

Re: Changing HRT patches
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 05:17:11 PM »

I always change mine at around the same time - before I go to bed - there is never more than an hour's difference. Hope this helps.

Taz x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 05:26:01 PM »

Thank you Taz, I thought that would prob be the best thing, I was thinking of the days when I used to take the mini pill & it had to be taken at the same time every day!  ;)

Sunnydays

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 07:24:36 PM »

I change patches on a Monday and a Friday. I try to change it on a Monday evening then a Friday lunchtime so it's three and a half days each patch. As time has past I've become much more flexible - I've ruled the patch rather than the patch rule me! If I'm out or something is going on its sometimes been 3 days and 4!day change. Last week i even changed on a Tuesday afternoon because I'd had a GP appt and didn't know if I'd change type etc. I've not found a problem as these Estradot stick like glue and I seem to absorb them well. I do of course appreciate that some medications must be taken in the dot etc etc

Hurdity

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »

Hi there

I'm like Sunnydays - I try to do mine Monday evening (whenever I go to bed) and Friday morning (whenever I've got up and wahsed) but have only done this relatively recently - I used to do Mon and Fri evening. It may well be within an hour or so like Taz but I have never noticed the time!

As others have said the timing for patches is not crucial at all - they don't work like that (not like the mini pill) - they don't just run out after 3 or 4 days but the amount of absorption gradually declines over the time since they are applied - I've even forgotten sometimes and when you are post-meno and on a low dose it shouldn't make that much difference ( well it might do after a week). It also depends on how well they are sticking - so if they are gradually coming unstuck as well as the amount from the patch gradually decreasing - then your levels will drop quicker as time goes by.

However just one point with conti patches is that if you forget to change it for a few days then the level of progestogen may well drop and then this could trigger spotting or bleeding but I expect the tolerance limits for this is quite wide. Does it say anything in the instructions about what could happen if you forget to change it?

Hurdity x

Goosieloosie

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »

Thank you for your replies, that was interesting to know Hurdity, no I don't think it said anything in the leaflet about what will happen if you forget to change it, at least I'm sure it didn't & I did read the whole leaflet but of course with brain fog.......LOL. Thanks again.

andius

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 02:56:24 AM »

Monday pm and Friday am for me.  I overlap the patches by about 6 hrs usually so I don't get dips in the estrogen levels.

A