Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Sanitary protection  (Read 6082 times)

Dorothy

Sanitary protection
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:26:54 PM »

I moved a few months ago, and in my new area, was bemused to discover that my nearest supermarket, under the 'feminine hygiene' section, stocks panty liners and incontinence pads/pants.  And that is all.

Do women in this part of the world not have periods?  Is everyone (apart from me) post-menopause? 

You can buy sanitary towels/tampons from the local chemist, though the price tag gives a whole new meaning to the word 'luxury'...I assume they are made from cashmere, as that is the only way the cost could be justified!

It's not really an issue for me as I just stock up whenever I go to the next town, but I am totally bemused that a large supermarket doesn't stock such a basic item.  Anyone else come across this?  Would love to know the reason why!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Sanitary protection
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:36:02 PM »

Give us a clue  ;) ………. which country, even which county …

Many years ago I wrote to the wife of an MP to ask for protection to be on the NHS ……… no go and we still have to pay VAT on it  >:(

Dorothy

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »

South Wales.

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 11:15:41 PM »

Crikey - should we get in the charabanc and bring you some ? ………

Maybe write to the MD of the Supermarket, go on, do tell which one ………….  ;)

Dorothy

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:25:41 AM »

ASDA.  It's not an issue for me as I drive through another small town every few days & that has a plentiful supply in at least 3 shops.  I'm just intrigued by a supermarket that doesn't carry such a basic product.  It's not one of the mega-stores, but it's not tiny either and they have an aisle devoted to homeware & electrical and two aisles to clothing, so it seems a bit odd to be so limited on the basics!

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 01:10:13 PM »

Ah ……. are ASDA slightly different to other Supermarkets in that, like Lidl and Aldi, they buy end of range and bulk products from bankrupt stock?  So won't be carrying personal items, do they sell condoms?

I would make an appt. with the Store Manager  ;)

dahliagirl

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 01:38:22 PM »

That is strange I think my local McColls has more than that!

Dorothy

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 05:56:52 PM »

CLKD, I don't think ASDA are like Lidl or Aldi - they seem to have consistency in their other products.  And the next-nearest ASDA has a wide range. 

Prajna, I did wonder about having a word with the manager, but as it's not really an issue for me, I decided I couldn't be bothered.  I'm just intrigued that such a basic product is missing.  Maybe the women in this area are born different?!!!

Dahliagirl - we do have a McColls near ASDA - I'll have to check out their stock  ;D

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 07:10:31 PM »

Let us know!