Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Will HRT reignite adolescent epilepsy?  (Read 2981 times)

BreezyBlue

Will HRT reignite adolescent epilepsy?
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:04 PM »

I am scared to use HRT because of the epilepsy risk.

I don't have epilepsy now but I used to have it in my childhood and grew out of it in my late teens or early twenties. Because I haven't had fits for around 20 years I don't take any medication for it.

I went through premature menopause about 5 years ago now and have never taken HRT because of the worry about epilepsy. It has been recommended that I should use it to get protection for my bones etc for a few years as I am only 43.

I wondered if it just causes fits for those who currently have epilepsy or whether it can re-ignite epilepsy in those who have grown out of it?

I would be really interested to hear from others who have previously had epilepsy and used HRT.

Taz2

Re: Will HRT reignite adolescent epilepsy?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:41:07 PM »

I'm sorry I've got no actual experience of epilepsy and HRT but is there anything helpful here https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/women/menopause?

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 08:51:07 PM »

I don't know about epilepsy and HRT.
But, is epilepsy affected by pregnancy?

I have MS which benefits from increased oestrogen (pregnant ladies don't get epilepsy).
Once I stopped the BCP and hit meno bigstyle my MS went ballistic.
HRT patches improved things massively.

I really don't know whether epilepsy is the same as MS regarding the effects of oestrogen.
I'm just guessing, but the are both Neurological conditions, may behave similarly..............

BreezyBlue

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:54 PM »

Thanks for the replies ladies and thank you Taz2 for that link which is very helpful. I don't think epilepsy is affected by pregnancy Limpy as I didn't have any fits during my pregnancy. It's well over 20 years now since I had one but I really don't want any more! Xx

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 06:44:35 PM »

I don't think epilepsy is affected by pregnancy Limpy as I didn't have any fits during my pregnancy.

BreezyBlue - Sorry I wasn't very clear.
The thing with oestrogen and MS is that it reduces/stops MS relapses - it doesn't trigger them.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 09:20:20 PM »

Some children grow out of seizures.  Maybe your GP should refer you to a Neurologist?  Then let us know  ;)