Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: return from house hunting !  (Read 9566 times)

dazned

return from house hunting !
« on: October 26, 2015, 06:29:39 PM »

Well Wales was very wet Sat morning but then lovely and sunny for rest of trip.

House one was very nice ,the couple had done all the hard,expensive works,brand new all singing and dancing bathroom including underfloor heating,lovely ! Lovely kitchen dining extension but all other rooms need the cosmetic decoration doing but no big deal. The main sticking point is it's in the middle of 3 and has no rear access so think this is a deal breaker unfortunately.

House two is bigger and more substantial bathroom and kitchen serviceable but not as high spec as the other one ,nicer living space though,but whole house needs cosmetic overhaul. Also there's a big chunk out of chimney rendering which DH says needs re rendering pronto,however it's a semi so no access issues. It will defo need more money spent on it but somehow think it will be a better investment. However we won't have spare cash initially to do it all!

Decisions......... :-\

Limpy

Re: return from house hunting !
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »

Perhaps haggle over the asking price?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »

Is this a holiday home?  Many back2backs have small yards outside the back door.  Where do they put the bins  :-\ ? Parking can be a problem too. Having lived in a terrace of 5, our middle 1 was warm because of the walls on either side  ;)

If you aren't in a rush then wait.  Don't go into something that needs work unless you both immediately fall in love with the property or you will spend your holidays with a brush in your hand!  OK on a wet day but when the sun does shine you want to be able to relax outdoors.

Colours lovely in the area I bet  ;)

dazned

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 07:58:31 PM »

Colours were so,so beautiful ! Stunning !

I have haggled never fear  ;)

Thing is at our price range something will need doing and to be honest decorating is something I'd expect to do to make it ours. For short term it will be for our holidays but longer term to live hence why the semi is the most suitable really.
Heard back from builder too about chimney rendering and not as bad as expected ,will have a good think whilst we are away in Cyprus and take it from there.

Pennyfarthing

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:22:03 PM »

ThE most important thing for me always is the position of the house.  Does the house get the sun?  Today it's been wonderful here and the sun was pouring in our house all day.  I popped round the corner to see my friend and her house gets no sun at all and it was like an ice box in there and SO gloomy.  I couldn't stand it personally.

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »

Take your time, I made a huge mistake with our last house and regretted it for almost five years and it cost us a fortune. If you don't fall in love with it forget it....something else will come along.
Don't make do, because you will never be happy.

Honeybun
X

dazned

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 08:35:14 PM »

Thanks for all the input ladies,I'm not going to rush it ,as I say will be away for 10 days SO plenty of time to mull it over  ;)

Honeybun I've had this house book marked for some time now as I liked the look of it and in the flesh I still liked it and although I wouldn't say I loved it I can see us living there in time when we've made it ours. I've got them down to a very good price for this village and I do have my heart set on this particular village so we are half way there. I've been looking whilst dreaming over the past two years so know what they do go for. ::)

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »

Learning Welsh then  ;)

dazned

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:15:16 PM »

I've lived there before CLKD so I know all the important things

Do you want a cup of tea

Do you want a sandwich

How are you

Shut up

:rofl:

Ju Ju

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »

Well you're all set then,dazned!

Yes, I would go with how you feel about a house, rather than if it ticks all the boxes. We came here in 1986, just for 5 years! It could never be called perfect, not pretty at all and who wants the bedrooms grouped round the front door? But we got a warm feeling when looking round this then neglected building and it is in a lovely location. I knew we could be happy here and I felt it welcomed us.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:41:17 PM »

We were going to live here as an interim property I hated it initially - until we could spend on making it 'ours'.  Prices went up in the mid-1980s so moving wasn't possible …….. now we couldn't afford to move into the village  :o  ::)

I know exactly what I want though  ;) and I knew enough Welsh to know when they were talking about me  :-X

rower

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 06:41:27 PM »

Hi
We've love Wales or rather Anglessey, we love to move there, but have heard that the national health there is not very good, and since we are both in our 60 it had to be one of our options, good health care system, unless it's improving. I love being by the sea and the surroundings are lovely.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 07:05:48 PM »

I never liked Anglesey.  Prefer mid-Wales ……… it is difficult to judge how good/not NHS provision is.  It depends on what you need.

I have a good GP and a lovely Dentist, one of the reasons we aren't moving any time yet.

dazned

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 08:13:49 PM »

My nephew works at the hospital there and his partner is a intensive care nurse there too so hopefully be ok  ;)

Limpy

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 09:16:10 PM »

Are they at Bangor Dazned?
Pages: [1] 2