Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: Just back from Gp. Hrt?  (Read 3491 times)

casakelsey

Just back from Gp. Hrt?
« on: October 26, 2015, 06:04:55 PM »

Hi everyone well just been to female Gp she was lovely. I asked for Hrt told her all my symptoms including that I get one sometimes two migraines a week & my heart jumps about all over the place & I can hear & feel it beating at night when I'm in bed. She checked with another male gp re Hrt & he said to give Clonidine a try first. This is a blood pressure pill that is no longer used for that but was seen to have benefits re menopause symptoms.

I have never had high blood pressure it has always been on the low side but when she took it she said it was borderline 144!!!! She didn't give me the lower figure. I have to go back in 3 weeks to see if its helped at all. If not I can try Hrt. My sister had astroke age 26 caused by a migraine & a huge amount of stress at the time so I think they are reluctant to give me Hrt because of this.

Has anyone else had this drug? Would love some feedback.

She said that they may make me sleepy!!!!! Great I have trouble staying awake as it is!!!!!!!!!

I feel a failure I should have been more assertive so I'll give them a go only time will tell. She thinks blood pressure is because of stress with my daughter's breast cancer diognosis but I'm been stressed before but it's never affected my blood pressure.

Now think I'm heading for a heart attack!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casakelsey.

lancashirelass

Re: Just back from Gp. Hrt?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 06:09:54 PM »

Firstly deep breath.  Secondly IF bp is raised again.they should do a 24 hour monitor to see if ypu have white coat or true high bp.  Then if still high they could treat you and.possibly give you hrt.  With migraine etc better to use patch or gel too.  You wont have a heart attack I have been through same and I felt.the same and Im still here !   

Briony

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 06:11:52 PM »

Please dont think you're  a failure. That's not try. You 've been really pro active in seeing your doctor    :)      :foryou:

I cant help with the drug you mention, but what I can say is that I am similar to you in that my dad had a serious stroke at a young age and I get migraines, sometimes with aura, so I wasn't initially allowed hrt. Instead we went through the 'other options' until a point where I could stand it no  more. Then my very open minded GP accepted that although I had these risk factors, I had other things on my side (non smoker, healthy etc) and agreed to let me try, providing I was aware of the risks.

To be honest, all the research does suggest that hrt is more dangerous if you have the factors you mention, so it's good that you try the safest options first.

See how this drug goes and let us know how you get on x

casakelsey

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 06:51:07 PM »

Thanks guys I will give it a go but will be straight back if it doesn't help. Lancashire girl I'm sorry that you have experienced this but  you have made me feel better.

I don't smoke or drink & I'm not overweight so risks are hopefully low. God how boring does that sound I need to get some vices!!!!!!! I don't even like sex at mo, poor long suffering hubby good job he's understanding. I have been awful these last few years I don't think I could have put up with me like he has. I don't tell him that though ha ha.

Just read the leaflet with Clonidine they are usually prescribed to prevent migraine & help to stop hot flushes. No mention about all my aches & pains, fatigue & feelings of terror. Oh well will give them a go.

Casakelsey.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 06:53:31 PM »

Buy a BP home monitor so that you can read your BP before breakfast, keep note of the results and take them to your GP.  I'm sure they will be OK (no WhiteCoatSyndrome ;-) )
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 02:23:42 PM by CLKD »

lancashirelass

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 06:53:52 PM »

Good.  I went though a.period of.panic attacks and.bad.palps.i thought i was going to.die as daft as.that spunds.  I was.checked by.an.excellent cardiologist who was so lovely to me.  Please dont worry

Dorothy

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 07:32:57 PM »

Dear Casakelsey

1)  You are NOT a failure - you have made the effort to contact your GP and started on the path to sorting out your health; it's a journey that takes time, you will get there!

2) Stress may be affecting your BP - I've always had low BP and stress hasn't affected it, but had high BP for the first time a couple of years ago while under a lot of stress.  Maybe our bodies get less able to cope with stress as we get older?  Anyway, my GP decided to monitor it and a few weeks later it was back to normal.  I did put some effort into eating/exercise/relaxation, so as Prajna says, do look at some natural ways of dealing with it - apart from the physical benefits, it can be a real boost to feel you are doing something to help yourself! 

3) Have you noticed if your heart palpitations are linked to anything in particular, eg. time, diet.  I found I had almost zero tolerance to caffeine and sugar - made my heart act up so much I felt like I was going to drop dead!  Cut both out completely for a while and now I can tolerate small amounts on good days, but I still have to be really careful, and I can't have tea AND a biscuit, it has to be one or the other!

Hope you get things sorted soon.  Hugs x

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »

I recently discovered that caffeine upsets my gut ……… so I stopped drinking it.

casakelsey

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 10:25:44 PM »

Hi Prajna GP gave me the tablets for my hot flushes not high bp. But I will keep a check on it I have a bp machine & bp has always been fine so maybe just the stress at the moment.

Dorothy Hi. I eat healthy & I walk alot I love autumn walks ha ha. But my biggest downfall is my lack of relaxation I find it so difficult. Even in bed I notice that I'm tensing my muscles which really doesn't help with my joint & muscle aches. I need to find a relaxation group so my sister & I are looking for one in our area. I've tried to find a link to my crazy heart jumping about but can't really pin it down to any particular thing or event, I'll try de-caff tea as I rarely drink coffee maybe that will help.

Thank you for all your good advice
Casakelsey.

Joyce

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:39:41 PM »

Clonidine is what I've just been on for hot flushes. Did your GP tell you that it works for 1 in 3 women? It hasn't for me, but you need to give it a try like I did. Hopefully it will help you. They made me sleepy, especially on highest dose.

I have my own BP monitor as I was fed up being told mine was a bit high every time GP took it. I had to monitor 3 times a day for 2/3 weeks & it was found mine was within limits.  Only cost about £20 online. Quite possibly stress has caused it. Can't imagine how I'd feel if my daughter had a cancer diagnosis.

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 02:24:49 PM »

Relaxation can be practised in bed ;-).  Your muscles are already tense, so tense a little more than relax.  Work your way up from your toes to the back of your neck with each muscle group, concentrating hard each tense/relax action that you do.

dahliagirl

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 04:49:34 PM »

I had my blood pressure checked at my new GP surgery.  It was sky high.  She rechecked it twice and it was a different sky high.  She said 'white coat' and I said 'automatic blood pressure machine'.

I have not had it rechecked  ::)  Last time this happened I had to go back every month for 6 months and see the nurse who did it the conventional way and in the end, we put it down to the machine the HCA had used.

I googled it and it does seem to be a thing with some people.

CLKD

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 05:30:26 PM »

White Coat Syndrome is more common than is realised  ::).  My GP measures mine yearly, on the machine DH purchased of for home use, I don't register at all  :o  ;D …….

Dorothy

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 07:02:31 PM »

Casakelsey, have you tried herbal teas?  I've found camomile great last thing at night - it's an acquired taste, but it really helps with unwinding and is also good for tummy upsets etc.  If you can't stand the taste, you could try peppermint which is also readily available or there are lots of others.

casakelsey

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »

Good idea Dorothy thank you I quite like some of them but haven't had them for ages.

I have a bp machine but it's in Spain at mo & I'm in Uk but I think my father-in-law has one I'll check it out.

Thank you Cubagirl it is awful. I'm going back to Spain for a few weeks as she feels fine & very positive & financially this is crippling us, so I'll be here for her op & afterwards then I'm back for 6 months to take care of her & my Grandson while she goes through chemo. I'm currently looking for work to help us through. I can work evenings & weekends so I'm still around to help her I'm a senior carer & support worker so should get some agency work. This is why its so important to feel ok & have some energy otherwise I will struggle

Casakelsey