Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Health and Safety  (Read 6144 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Health and Safety
« on: October 26, 2015, 05:22:40 PM »

I have a bad  :-\ habit in checking emergency exits when I go into a new place.  From Theatres - almost got thrown out of 1 years ago  ::) - to shopping centres and antique centres.  Doesn't matter how large the place might be, I always check outlets first  ::)

During the last couple of years I have talked to various 'owner's about their lack of fire precautions and the difficulty that visitors might have should there be an incident.  I am sure that no one wants to run a business which puts workers and visitors at risk, however: when a 'green running man' sign is above adoor, that is a Legally required emergency exit which must be open during working hours.  We have found over the years that many of these 'running man' signs aren't being supported, i.e. they have added preventative things in front of the escape door, often bolted and locked.  The keys are either in another part of the building or lost. 

After discussion with the owners, we usually leave it a couple of months before going back to have a quiet check and in several  cases, nowt has been done to protect the public.  My next move is an e-mail to the local Fire Service who then take over the complaint and put actions into place; actions which are legal enforceable, with or without an incident. 

Whilst we and the Fire Service realise that with particular interest in antiques access and entry points need to be protected to stop the casual person wandering in to 'lift' items and then wander way with them.  I kind of feel mean  :-\ but will continue to be pro-active in order to keep people safe.

The place we were in last week hadn't made any alterations when the Fire Service went in after 5 days so an Enforcement Order has been placed on the Property. 

I also worry in Deparmtnet stores that because smoke rises and public are advised to hit the floor in the event of a fire alert, those 'green running men' signs won't be visible ……….. I also come out of toilet cubicles and have difficulty finding my way back to the main shopping area due to lack of guiding arrows  :-\

Taz2

Re: Health and Safety
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 07:08:22 PM »

It's an interesting point CLKD. Everyone should make themselves aware of emergency exits whenever they are in an unfamiliar building. Years of having this drummed into me at every Health and Safety Meeting for every company and school I've worked at makes it second nature.

However, I would never approach the owner of the business about any breaches of regulations. If I found something I would contact the fire service so that they can come round and make their own assessment. There is no excuse for any proprietor to block exits, lock doors etc. so it's better for it to be dealt with by a professional rather than just you drawing their attention to it. As you say - a couple of months later nothing had been done - anything could have happened in those two months.

Taz  x  :-\

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 07:33:30 PM »

It is better to alert the proprietors so that they can become aware and maybe they will make investigations.  I accept that items inside a shop have to be kept safe but the proprietors have a Duty of Care to those to whom they hire units to as well as visitors wanting to browse and possible buy  ;)

DH is in H&S so he explained the situation from a visitors point of view. 

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:05:47 PM »

Sorry, I don't like Health and Safety.

Years ago most of the daft rules and regs didn't exist....Oh and guess what, we survived.

I would be inclined to just enjoy where we were and let everyone get on with it.

How often are we in a building that is on fire.....ummmm, for me never

Have you a sprinkler system in your home....I haven't.

Just let hard pressed traders who are trying to make a living get on with it.

Honeyb
x

Taz2

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 08:26:26 PM »

Sorry but I have to disagree. I believe that fire safety regulations are really important. I know you can say "how often" but you only need it to happen once. If it was one of your family who lost their lives due to an irresponsible act by a trader I'm sure that you wouldn't take this lightly? Of course everyone has to make a living but there are basic safety regulations that have to be adhered to. If you have items stacked against fire doors or fire doors which are locked then the few minutes it takes to move these things or find a key can make all the difference between surviving or not. 

As for the sprinkler system - I'm not sure that you can really compare your home environment with that of theatres, restaurants, stores, hotels, hospitals etc. For a start you are responsible for your own fire precautions in your own home so would be less likely to put yourself at risk whereas, when out somewhere, your safety will depend on the actions of others in a lot of cases. Sprinklers are helpful in situations where there are a lot of people trying to get out of a building.

Taz x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 09:12:28 PM »

At the time we were discussing the lack of exits in one place reports were coming in from an awful Disco fire in Bankok ……. doors had been locked to stop more people getting in, there were no sprinkler systems ….. people died from being trampled or smoke inhalation.  Some bad issues can be avoided by people being aware.  Which is why those that drive drunk or whilst using mobiles make me really really ANGRY because it  is so un-nesscessary  :kick:

I fall over enough in our own home  :o  ::) …….. and I worry what would happen if we had a fire, I have 2 routes out from upstairs but I don't know if I would hear the smoke alarm  :-\ because I sleep so deeply.

honeybun

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 09:20:24 PM »

But that was Bankok....bit different.

Event organisers have to adhere to the proper regulations.

There are fortunately so few of these things happen in this country as regs are strict. But surely we have to put some faith in the fact that basically in this country things are quite safe.

Enjoy and don't overthink things.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 09:24:06 PM »

Bankok shouldn't be any different to regulations anywhere else in the World  :-\ ……. but sadly, H&S isn't up to scratch elsewhere and even here one has to take care.  Hence my irritability when I find Fire Exits blocked.

It is when accidents happen that here in the UK we find that Companies are not always up to date with their H&S Duty of Care requirements!  Particularly on Farms  :'( and when bus drivers haven't been honest so are allowed behind the wheel with dreadful consequences.

Taz2

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 09:49:17 PM »

Some statistics here about fires http://firedoorsafetyweek.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Fire-safety-facts-and-figures-Sept-2015.pdf

Student accommodation is one area where the regulations are often not enforced properly - I've seen some really worrying sights when visiting my sons and their friends!!

Obviously it is impossible to protect us from every circumstance but we do expect to be as safe as possible when in a busy place such as theatre or music venues.

Every house - especially if there are small children - should have an escape plan. Sounds really daft but in the middle of the night, rooms full of smoke, darkness it's easy to lose your bearings.

Now I'm off for my glass of wine in the pub - it's on the ground floor so I can jump out of the window if necessary!  ;D

Taz x

Taz x

Taz x

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 10:08:57 PM »

Actually we did have an escape plan when we lived in a flat, oh and a ladder  ;D

Maybe I just trust a bit too much.

Honeybun
X

bramble

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 10:16:41 PM »

Having worked in the petro-chemical industry all my life it is second nature to me to look for fire exits etc when out and in shops. Jenners in Edinburgh always worried me as I always got lost in it and it was full of small rooms, corners etc. Better safe than sorry.
Bramble

Joyce

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 10:47:00 PM »

On a slightly different track, when we got new windows put in, we got windows which we can escape from no matter which room. Most beside us have huge panes of glass & only 2 little windows at the top. We only have one main door, which is beside out kitchen. If a fire broke out there we'd not be able to escape, hence our windows.

Know what you mean about Jenner's bramble. Debenhams in Nottingham is a bit like that too.

honeybun

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 10:50:48 PM »

IKEA freaks me out, I always get lost

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »

It's the way it's set out HB. One down in Derby is the same. Heaven help us, we're about to get one up here soon. I may vanish forever.........  ::)

Ju Ju

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 08:12:56 AM »

When my son lived in this country, he was a retained firefighter and saw a lot. I agree with Taz that if you are concerned about safety then inform the fire brigade.

Check the batteries in your fire alarm regularly. I have a friend whose life, along with those of her young children, were saved by their fire alarm. They would not have survived, if they had not been alerted, according to the fire brigade.

We live in a bungalow, but I ensured my children knew what to do in the event of a family. The keys to the opening window is always kept in the same place near the windows. I staged a fire practice to their delight, which involved climbing out the window! And no it didn't result in future misdemeanours!
Pages: [1] 2