Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: Sudden period after 14 months with nothing  (Read 5906 times)

Ljp

Sudden period after 14 months with nothing
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:33:49 AM »

Hi, I have had no periods for 14 months, then woke this morning with bleeding, definitely old blood though.
I use serenity cream, and have been using estriol cream since May this year for overactive bladder and va.
I had a full abdominal and uterine ultra sound in September, due to side pain which turned out to be muscular ( I teach dance exercise), the results of which were normal with just a 1cm fibroid and a nabrothian cyst, all of which I was assured are very common.
I am feeling cramps like I used to when I had periods before, is it possible the fibroid could have come away? Should I call my GP?
Just seems strange, but at the same time, the fact I had bloods and scan done less than two months ago, and nothing unusual found then, means I'm not sure if it's necessary to call GP

Ljp

Re: Sudden period after 14 months with nothing
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »

Any thoughts please?

ancient runner

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:07:45 AM »

How old are you? Isn't there a way of saying you are menopausal after a year without a period after 50-something and two years if under 50-something? I am thinking if you're younger that might be just not quite being in full menopause yet. But an expert will be along soon I am sure.  :)

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »

Hi there Lisajp

Well yes normally you should go to the doctor. Any post-menopausal bleeding ( ie bleeding following 12 months without a period) should be checked out to rule out anything sinister. In most cases it's just a normal period - not everyone fits the 12 month rule neatly - but it's set at 12 months to reduce the chance of missing those few women who mught have developed endometrial thickening and possilby cancer after periods have stopped. It probably also depends how old you are and what your periods were doing before the last one - but as far as I know there is no set pattern as we are all different!

If you are having cramps then it does sound like a period. As far as I know fibroids don't come away as such - I also have a small one but mine has shrunk over the past couple of years.

However if you had a scan and bloods done 2 months ago then maybe just a quick call just to ask? What did the scan show ie how thick was your lining and was it a U/S scan? Also bloods - do you have the results and what did the doc say - they often just say "normal" which doesn't say much. Of interest would be the FSH, estradiol and progesterone and LH levels if they did them - although you can't necessarily deduce anything from them.

Menopause is defined by the time following 12 months since the last period at any age - but contraception should still be used for 2 years following last period if under 50:

When to stop contraception

The general rules are to continue contraception for:

One more year following the last spontaneous menstrual period if aged 50 years or over
    Two more years following the last spontaneous menstrual period if aged under 50 years

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/contra1.php

Hurdity x

Ljp

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »

Thank you, I have just had my 51st birthday.
My bloods were full screening and the test that is done for ovarian cancer, tumour marker test.
The scan was full abdominal ultra sound and internal scan to look at uterus and ovaries.
All that showed was, in words of my GP. Nice thin lining, small 1cm fibroid, and a nabrothian cyst. No further tests required as nothing of any concern.
I have called Dr to ask for a call back.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 04:30:53 PM »

Let us know what your GP suggests.  Maybe a 'watch and wait' regime …...

Ljp

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »

My GP just called me, she doesn't think it's anything to concern myself with as scan showed thin uterus lining. But she has referred me to see gynae for a day surgery to do biopsy or Hysteroscopy I think.
I should get appointment within two weeks.
Despite her saying it's unlikely it's anything, I'm still very worried and anxious already!

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 06:56:37 PM »

Of course you worry - however, your GP is following the regime in order to check out any problems that might be there.  What did she suggest with regard the heavy bleed?

Ljp

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »

She didn't suggest anything, it's not a heavy bleed, it was enough to use a tampon this morning, but hardly anything now