Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vestibular vulva issues  (Read 6270 times)

mollie2

Vestibular vulva issues
« on: October 24, 2015, 10:03:13 PM »

Ok ladies long story that i will try to keep short, Aged 47 menopausal and on hrt for flushes.. Over the last yr ive had severe burning, tingling itching like thrush,, I have had endless thrush treatment, swans and so on and all clear, bloods fine, smear fine. About two months ago i could see and feel a whiteish / pale pink fleshy lump just on the inside entrance of my vagina, with this i had a thrush like feeling and also feels as though my vagina is falling out so i got diagnosed with an urethera prolapse by my gp who wasnt at all concerned but i insisted on being referred to a gynae.. Anyhow the gynae said there was no sign but i wasnt happy thst he examined me from behind on my side and didnt see me flat on and he used a spectrum not fingers to feel so he discharged me but as i was still siffering i went back to the gp who only altered my hrt and said to wait 3 months but i was t happy so i wrote a letter to the main gp asking to be re referred again but they have said they want to see me at surgery again even though i said in the letter that i am wasting time doing that ( i have seen 4 gps and no answer )  i am on vagifem and canesten for the pain but i still have this thrush feeling and my vagina  is swollen all the time and very very uncomfortable at all times, After lots of internet research im sure i have vestibular issues,, Has anyone else had this?

Dancinggirl

Re: Vestibular vulva issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 12:46:02 PM »

mollie2 - I'm afraid this is more common than many people think.  I have the same issues - I was told by the practise nurse that I have a small bladder prolapse just behind my urethra but this is common and nothing to worry about.  I saw a urologist that diagnosed interstitial cystitis which he admitted is probably scare tissue from past infections and there isn't a lot one can do about this - HRT is the best treatment.  I think it is common that, as we age, everything drops internally so the urethra becomes squashed and irritated/sensitive. The vaginal area is also less resilient and is therefore prone to slight bacterial infections that irritate.
I've had this burning and discomfort on and off for well over 15 years. HRT has helped - when I have had breaks from HRT it gets much worse.
On this site we often discuss something we describe as; "be kind to your bits". This involves things like:
Take showers not baths, no scented soap or pant liners, avoid drinks and food that produce too much acid in the urine e.g. orange juice etc. - it's about allowing the natural flora balance to thrive.
I would stop using the Caneston - this can be highly irritant and in fact often doesn't work anyway - I find it makes me very, very uncomfortable - it doesn't encourage a natural environment in the vagina either!!!
I use a vaginal moisturiser and some local oestrogen to keep things healthy in the whole area. I find that Multi Gyn Actigel each night after the shower really helps to reduce itching and discomfort - there are other products so it's trial and error.
It is miserable suffering with this kind of discomfort - I sometimes dread having to sit down.
There are a number of threads on this site that covers this. I did one "The Burning Club"   DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 02:09:24 PM »

I used a Canestan capsule once and it BURNED  :'( ……

Have you tried eating and applying LIVE yoghurt?  LIVE yoghurt can aid good bacteria throughout the digestive tract which can relieve any irritation in the bowel.  Make sure that you wipe, front to back  ;) so that the bugs which live in the lower bowel don't get passed forwards.

Apply LIVE yoghurt is, if nothing else, soothing. Laying on a warmed bath towel, apply the yoghurt around vaginal lips which will feel cold.  Relax.  If you can bear it, apply lots of yoghurt onto a tampon and insert gently as high as possible - leave for a few seconds then withdraw.  Relax.

Keep using the Vagifem: maybe do a re-load - every night for 2 weeks and use as necessary.  It is taken up locally so isn't going to interfere with the rest of the body.

There are various ways of performing an internal examination, some Consultants face the patient away which can relieve any embarrassment  ;) ……..  he/she will have looked 'down' the speculum which you would have been unaware of.  So he probably saw 'enough'.

mollie2

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:38 PM »

Thanks girls for the replies, I have had a good two days or so for the first time in ages, I need canetan cream as it eases things, I have been told to stay away from vaginal / feminin washes or wipes.. I am amazed how many of us suffer with our bits tbh,,  My gp was surprised I wasnt examined more thoroughly and also  i felt he was too blazes about my entire menopause.. I have suffered lots of different issues since my periods began but this has to be one of the worst.

dahliagirl

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 02:22:41 PM »

I have suffered similar with multiple 'infections' since I came off the pill at 49 (and also dryness of the area between the labia majora and minora, skin of clitoral hood etc  which was very irritating, during the last 4 years on the pill).  Sometimes it feels like the bartholins gland might be involved.

I occasional wash with dermol if I can feel something brewing, but usually use water.  I use the vagifem and multigyn actigel like Dancing girl, since the canesten cream burned (had to wash it off fast!) and hrt.

I have recently upped the hrt to femston 2/10 and that has helped amazingly, which it wasn't supposed to do  ::) so I am only using the vagifem twice weekly now.  Not sure what to do about that, but that is a different story............

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »

Did your GP explain that as oestrogen levels fall, the body begins to dry up: that's vaginal, anus, nostrils, deep in the ears, eyes ……… so treatment for atrophy sooner rather than later?

mollie2

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 05:52:54 PM »

No, No one has explained anything,, Going by my research and thorough i am trying to get to the bottom of this,, All my gps have taken no notice at all..

CLKD

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 07:10:03 PM »

Sounds about right  >:(  ???

Have a browse here, pull down the menus; use the search button. Ask away  :great:

mollie2

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 08:51:14 PM »

Tbh  I didnt realise there was so many vaginal issues going on with the menopause and how common problems are,,, Its seems not many of us have a normal toot  :( I've been going stir crazy and felt like a hypochondriac going back to the gp all the time x

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 08:52:26 PM »

You are not a hypochondriac and your Practice Nurse/GP should have been more pro-active!

As oestrogen levels drop off so things dry up  ::)

Sweetscarlett

The burning
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »

Evening ladies
Just reading through these posts and can concur with all you mention ( sorry if I'm in the wrong place)
I have had about 2 Urine infections in the last two months , I thought I had inherited a new one last week only to be told there was no infection. This post got me thinking,as I still had the symptoms of stinging wee, and soreness it had to be something beyond a water infection  I already take vagifem twice weekly for VA  but  was also getting what you are describing as ' the burning' in the skin surrounding and my urethra . Under docs orders I have started to include estriol cream to apply  around the burning area which seems to help .( I tried it internally but it made me swell ). I'm wondering if it would be safe to  apply a few times a week?
 I was looking at a condition called ' urogenital  atrophy ' which is basically the burn you mention  , Its symptoms include stinging uretra and sore skin all of which I have .
 :'( X kind regards

Katy

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 11:11:55 AM »

Hi Sweetscarlet

I also use vagifem twice a week but it wasn't enough so my GP gave me ovestin cream to apply as and when.  I spread it on the outer area most days and also insert it a couple of times a week.  It's such a low dose of estrogen it won't do any harm.  Hope this helps to answer your question.

Katy xx

Sweetscarlett

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:27 PM »

HI Katy , thanks for the reply, are you saying you use both vagifem and Ovestin together? . My doc said vagifem sometimes doesn't reach the outer areas ?

Katy

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 03:11:29 PM »

Hi Sweetscarlet

I insert the ovestin cream on different days to the vagifem but use it on the outer area a few days a week even if I have used a vagifem tablet.  I hope that makes sense!

Katy xx

Sweetscarlett

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 03:30:41 PM »

Yes , I understand thanks Katy, I'm trying to find ways to cope with this awful burning . I use estriol cream, have been using it every few days and as soon as I apply it on the outside/ urethral area it feels slightly better, I was applying it internally, my doc suggested I use it instead of vagifem but I found it made my lips swell up . I only used it for 2 days , so wasn't sure if this was normal but it scared me a bit .
 ;D

Pages: [1] 2