Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Author Topic: Good book on menopause  (Read 4266 times)

Peterspots

Good book on menopause
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:55:45 AM »

Hello. I came here after having bladder problems. Was told menopause & given hrt.  That particular one hasn't suited me & once side effects lessen I will try the orstrogel. My main problem has been that, not really hot flushes & other typical symptoms more the odd ones on the list. I feel I have gone into the blind and when visiting the GP or consultant I have come across as a happy I'm dealing with this type of person and I'm worked I am going to offend them & I won't get treated .....but I'm not. To be more informed does anybody know of any good books I could read that would help me understand what is going on with my body. I think I have found it hard to believe this is all menopause related.

Peterspots

Re: Good book on menopause
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 06:56:56 AM »

*Gone into this blind.

TropicalVon69

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:07:58 AM »

Hi English Rose, The madwoman in the Volvo is a fantastic story of one woman's meno and she recommends the wisdom of menopause....xxx

Poppyflower

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 11:10:46 AM »

The best book I have ever read in regards to perimenopause/menopause is called Screaming to be Heard, which is also the best tittle ever, by Dr. Elizabeth Vietnam.  She does an excellent job of explaining everything and I always recommend it to everyone.

Dana

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 03:48:27 AM »

The best book I have ever read in regards to perimenopause/menopause is called Screaming to be Heard, which is also the best tittle ever, by Dr. Elizabeth Vietnam.  She does an excellent job of explaining everything and I always recommend it to everyone.

I think you mean Dr Elizabeth Vliet.

I have three of her books, and they are all very interesting. I personally found "Screaming to be heard" to be a bit heavy going, but it's good to use as a reference because it has a very good index.

Dorothy

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »

Hi English Rose, The madwoman in the Volvo is a fantastic story of one woman's meno and she recommends the wisdom of menopause....xxx

I feel like reading it just for the sake of the title!  ;D

TropicalVon69

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 10:15:04 AM »

Lol me too Dorothy x

Poppyflower

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »

Yes, Dr. Elizabeth Vliet...........damn autocorrect

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 04:34:37 PM »

Your high street book store will be full of various 'takes' on Menopause etc..  Or try the Library?

Could we pass the 'madwoman in the Volvo' between us  ;D ……..

Dorothy

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 06:47:05 PM »

Problem with that CLKD is that we have to remember who has it and who is supposed to have it next...I'd probably end up wondering when someone was going to send it to me when I had it all the time but had forgotten  ;D

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 08:50:05 PM »

:rofl:  …… I was like that.  For many years I had pen pals so had to keep a book - when the letter was received and from whom; when I replied ……. etc. or I simply forgot.  It's the same with C.mas and birthday lists, ticked in and out  ::)

dangermouse

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2016, 02:24:17 PM »

I really like the Vilet book as well, had it for years but only just got around to reading it due to the sheer size! I like how she prescribes BCP with HRT to fill in the gaps and pill free week. I'd been doing that to try to fine tune things and be creative but good to see she actually prescribes it.

Wasn't as impressed with Your Change Your Choice, thought would be more scientific and,  conversely, was surprised by Suzanne Somers books which were more scientific than I'd thought!