Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: If it's good enough for Joan Rivers...  (Read 9805 times)

Peterspots

Re: If it's good enough for Joan Rivers...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2015, 07:35:38 PM »

There seems to be a very unpleasant slant to these posts. I'm looking For peoples personal experiences, as a way of reassurance that there may be light at the end of the tunnel. It can be scary, particularly if you have odd symptoms.  I can look links up myself but I'm not qualified to say whether they are right or wrong or Champion one or the other. I go to hospital and take consultants advice then I come on here to ask if anyone has felt similar or tried the same things. We look for reassurance when a side effect is niggling or we don't feel better the next day. I have got a lot from peoples experiences (especially the odd symptoms - you know who you are)  or,the different routes they have tried. aggression is so over rated. 

bramble

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »

The paper which is linked to, is a paper whose findings are not based on clinical research but on other published papers, details of which were not given. So we have no idea whether this is based at all on clinical research and/or how big a study group was used etc etc. In this day of electronic means it is all too easy to find 'studies' which back up whatever point of discussion you are interested in and we should all be aware that not everything in print is gospel.
All I can say again is that Premique worked for me when all other HRTs didn't and I was just sharing my experience, which is what MM is all about!

And yes, Joan Rivers did look fab but she did have a LOT of cosmetic surgery!

Bramble

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2015, 09:30:32 PM »

So what *did* Joan Rivers die from other than lack of breath ?

honeybun

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2015, 09:35:36 PM »

She was having minor throat surgery and it went wrong. I think her daughter is suing for wrongful death.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2015, 09:39:10 PM »

Was there an underlying cause?  All ops pose a risk ………..

lancashirelass

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2015, 10:51:58 PM »

She was potentially given too much sedative started to have breathing difficulty and brain was starved of oxygen. 

Dana

« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 03:41:55 AM »

Speaking as someone who has used Premarin, I do get a bit annoyed by the blanket scare tactics that are used about the medication. We get enough scare/guilt tactics put on us from outside sources without it also coming from within MM. It just seems that even women who are supposed to be supportive of each other, will still try to undermine or scare/guillt other women into not using something that might actually be working better than any other type of HRT. For the right women, Premarin actually presents very little risk.

When it comes to HRT, it ALWAYS comes down to "use what works for you". I posted this recently on another thread, but I had a discussion with my pharmacist recently and she confirmed that she dispenses Premarin far more than estradiol. Here in Australia Premarin is actually more expensive than estradiol, because Premarin isn't covered by PBS, so it's not because it's "cheap". Women want to use what works for them, and I'm sure if the estradiol did the same job they would be using it - and saving money.

For me, over my years of HRT use, I've also had difficulties with another medication to take into account, so I have always tinkered with and chopped and changed the type of HRT I used. Sooner or later whatever I was using would cause me to think there was a problem with the absorption of it, including estradiol patches.

The only one that ever seemed to be really reliable long-term was Premarin. I have recently been back on it for about a month (after a very failed experiment with conti patches), but I'm in the process now of switching back to estradiol tablets, where I hope to stay if I can, but if I can't I will continue to take Premarin.

It does bother me a little that there always seems to be so much emphasis on MM being put on using Utrogestan and estradiol (and patches being the preference). There seems to be this subtle inference being made that if you use anything else you're using something inferior, or dangerous, but for some, using those products may not be applicable or desirable.

We always say we are here to support each other, but there is often that subtle undermining going on that indicates to me that some like to "tell" women what they should use (by pointing out supposed risks etc), rather than "telling" them to use whatever works for them.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 05:11:58 AM by Dana »

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2015, 01:30:14 PM »

Surprisingly it can be the coating or filler which ladies find upset them ……… more often than is probably realised  ::)

'Here in Australia' - could you send some  :sunny: please  ;)

It would be interesting to see the PM report of Joan Rivers - I do wonder if, having undergone surgical intervention i.e. probably a face lift etc., there may well have been internal throat 'scarring' which altered the route of the anaesthesia tubing.  So sad for a very upbeat lady.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:15:11 PM by CLKD »

honeybun

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2015, 02:32:27 PM »

She did sport the wind tunnel look more and more as time went by.

Poor thing, it was very badly botched.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2015, 04:16:53 PM »

She was a breath of fresh air at times.  Such a 'way' to go.  We moan about the NHS but usually 'they' get it 'right'. 

I wonder how the Royals manage/d menopause …….. or anxiety, or having to face something they don't want to eat  :-\  :-X

honeybun

« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 07:24:20 PM »

They move food around a plate....the Queen has it all planned and her chefs go before her....and let's face it, if you had that sort of money and access to medical help 24/7 then we would all probably be managing fine too  ::)

Oh and a good dollop of British backbone  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2015, 08:47:57 PM »

Apparently when the Queen picks up her handbag it's time to leave  ;)

honeybun

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2015, 08:50:56 PM »

My mother was much the same.

Now she just announces she wants to go home......subtle she ain't  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »

At her age Honeybun  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2015, 08:52:01 PM »

We have been saying that for years  ::)

Honeybun
X
Pages: 1 [2] 3