Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Peri memo since 36yrs now 40 and confused!  (Read 2404 times)

Thumper24

Peri memo since 36yrs now 40 and confused!
« on: October 22, 2015, 03:17:04 PM »

Hi everyone,
 I have been peri menopause since I was 36 yrs after 4 blood tests! Doc couldn't believe it.  Anyway I was put on the evoerl 25 patches to start with for hot flushes.  I came off them as I thought I could handle the flushes as they were not to bad,  now the last few months they are back in full strength so the doc put me back on the 25 patches.  It has taken the edge off but still bad.  But after reading some posts there has been talk about if you are on oestrogen only ones -like me- u need to take progesterone also to protect ur womb.  I do not take any progesterone 😕
I have my womb and overies but have had my Fallopian tubes clipped. I was told that having that done wouldn't bring on the menapause.
  In the past year I have only had 2 very light bleeds lasting a few days and that has been while not talking HRT. Although I'm back on the patches as stated above but only been on them for a few weeks.  I was never told to take both hormones and now confused on what to do.
I have had a bone scan a few years ago and all is fine. 
Any advice is very welcome.
Thank you.

honeybun

Re: Peri memo since 36yrs now 40 and confused!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 03:32:11 PM »

Welcome to the forum.

Yes you need progesterone if you have a womb. If you have a look at the drop down menus at the top of the page they will explain your choices.
You really should be on a much stronger dose at your age. You can get Evorel Sequi patches which will give you a monthly bleed.

Browse around and join in, but please go back to your GP and tell them you are on the wrong patch.....print out the info from this site if you think it will help.

Let us know how you get on, but you need to be firm on this one.

Honeybun
X

Thumper24

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 03:35:15 PM »

Hi honeybun and thank you,
I have a doc appointment on Monday so will ask then.  If my periods have nearly stopped would I still need to take HRT.? As it's the flushes and night sweats that bother me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:39:49 PM by Thumper24 »

Taz2

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 03:44:40 PM »

Hi Thumper. I agree with honeybun that you need to ask your GP to change you to a combined HRT which will give you the progesterone which is absolutely necessary to protect your womb lining from building up as this can lead to endometrial cancer over time so let us know how you get on at your appointment.

Hot flushes often worsen as periods become further apart and then stop altogether. It is the body's way (so it is thought) of trying to get the ovaries to release a ripened egg. At your age HRT is advised as it has a protective effect on your heart and your bones. You would normally use it until you are around the normal (whatever that is!) age for meno which is deemed to be 50/51. Women are often then asked to stop HRT for a while to see if they suffer any symptoms. If the flushes return or there is vaginal dryness or other symptoms then HRT is usually restarted.

Taz x

Limpy

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »

Hi Thumper   :welcomemm:

Yes you do need HRT even if your periods have nearly stopped, you need it to protect your bones at the very least.
It will also help with the flushes and night sweats.

Like Honeybun says, you really should be on something stronger and definitely with progesterone given you've got a womb.

Have a look around and print things off to take to your GP when you have "The Chat"
If you still get no joy, ask to be referred to a meno clinic or perhaps a gynaecologist.

Thumper24

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 03:58:12 PM »

Great ladies.  Thank you very much for your reply and I'll keep you posted on how I get on.

Hurdity

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 04:23:58 PM »

Hi Thumper24

:welcomemm:

I agree with the others - you need a stronger HRT - at least 50 mcg patch and you must have a progestogen of some sort to protect the womb. As for how long you take it - well I'm still on it in my 60's  :)

Hurdity x

Thumper24

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 04:32:15 PM »

Thanks hurdity,

Here was me thinking that I'm finished with my periods and now I could have them back 😔 But if it protects my womb then I'm all for that.

X

Thumper24

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 02:23:28 PM »

Hi,

Went to the doc today and he is thankful that you ladies gave me good advice.  He has now proscribed me Tridestra to try.  Any thoughts??

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 05:39:36 PM »

Why not start a new thread with Tridestra in the title so that it catches people's eye? I don't think there are that many women who have tried this - at least they don't post very often!

From what I remember one women said she got early break-through bleeding on it before the 3 months were up but I am sure the responses will be variable and someone will be along with responses if you start a new thread.

Good luck  :)

Hurdity x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 07:02:50 PM »

:welcomemm:

At your next appt. you could hand over the print out to advertise this Forum  ;).  It's all about networking.

Let us know how you get on!  You could change the title of your thread to the drug you've been prescribed …..