Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Author Topic: New here and need some advice.  (Read 1834 times)

LynC

New here and need some advice.
« on: October 21, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »

Hi,  I am 53 and think I have started menopause.  For a year I have been getting night sweats and skipping the occasional period. My cycle seemed to settle into  a 42 day cycle for a year instead of my usual 28 days.  6 months ago I had a lot of strange symptoms such as tiredness, slight nausea, cravings for sweets, heightened sense of smell. The tiredness and nausea went away and cravings for sweets. But then  I had changes in taste for example I have always hated coffee and milk but I was craving coffee and milk and was drinking a pint of milk a day.

I missed 3 periods and went to my GP to find out if this was menopause (to be honest I felt exactly the same as when I was pregnant and had actually done tests to make sure, which of course were negative but my family does have history of menopause babies lol)  . The docs said yes my symptoms were most likely menopause. They also tested me for various other possibilities like Cancer, diabetes, thyroid, fibroids etc etc. All my tests came back clear. I then went on to miss 3 more periods .

Then two days ago after 6 months without periods WHAM it came back. I had all my usual symptoms and it arrived as usual with no pain at all but it has been very heavy. I have never flooded like this before or had to change pads at night so many times. I think it has slowed down a little today but still heavier than normal.  I have no pain at all so not too worried. But just wanted to know if this was normal to go so long without a period and for them to come back and be as heavy as this, also are cravings normal during this time ?

Thanks

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: New here and need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »

:welcomemm:  sounds 'within normal limits'  ::) …. as for the heavy bleeds, if this continues more than is 'usual' for you, or the next period is heavy, your GP can prescribe medication to ease symptoms.

Have a browse round.  Make notes.  Ask away ……..

LynC

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 02:55:48 PM »

Thanks very much CLKD. I'll have a browse around this evening :)

Machair

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 03:17:48 PM »

This sounds so normal to me. You may have several long gaps before you finally go the year without any. Also being 53 this may be a couple more years, as many of us keep going until our mid fifties with periods.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:28:05 PM »

I was 2 years of intermittent bleeds before they disappeared but carried sanitary protection for 5 years when we went away  ::) - in case  :D

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 05:24:19 PM »

Hello LynC

:welcomemm:

There is a great article here which tells you about what's going on in your body during peri-menopause. http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/article-perils-of-the-perimenopause.php

The heavy bleeding is often due to cycles where you don't ovulate - follicles start to develop but not properly so the womb lining gets stimulated. Because you don't ovulate you don't produce progesterone so the womb lining isn't shed. When you eventually do ovulate it can be very heavy!

The cravings and nausea are due to the extreme hormone levels and fluctuations that occur during this time.

It is definitely normal but you might just want to ask your doc to check?

Hurdity x

LynC

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »

Thanks everyone. As for going to the doc again well my doctor is worse than useless when it comes to this. She seemed to have no idea at all and had to look up my symptoms in a book. When I asked if there were any alternatives to HRT she actually said "umm I dont know, there might be some natural things but I dont really know, they probably dont work but umm I dont know you could google it "  lol.   This forum has been wonderfully helpful thank you all.