Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Mobile version of the Forum Click here

media

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Jamie's Sugar Tax  (Read 10106 times)

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Jamie's Sugar Tax
« on: October 20, 2015, 06:29:14 PM »

…….. is being trialled in Brighton.  Would U pay a tax for sugary foods?  Currently consumers have little choices in what is in food stuffs as we don't have access to a completely fresh food system. 

Larger food labelling for starters.  I can't be bothered to squint at labels!

Encouragement to exercise? but as the Government is allowing Education Authorities to sell of sports fields  >:(  :kick:!

I know that I don't exercise as much as I used to do or as much as I ought to ………

I eat a chocolate 'pot' daily as lunch-time pudding.  I have 2 spoons of sugar in my black tea.  I start off with Muesli with seeds.  As much fresh food as possible.  I don't crave sugars these days but am more picky at what I choose.

honeybun

Re: Jamie's Sugar Tax
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 06:41:29 PM »

If parents were more responsible in what they give their kids to eat then this problem would not arise. Neither of my two were ever given excess sugar.

As for JO. He has got lardy....and smug and puts his name to anything that gives publicity and revenue.

I do not need him nor the government to tell me what to eat.

We have enough rules and regulations and daft recommendations as it is.

He should go back to his restaurants and butt out.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:47:23 PM »

;D …… when I was growing up there wasn't as much sugar nor many pre-made meals.  Mum cooked everything from scratch with lots of fruits and veg..  I was reading an article at the weekend about a man who moved to the Deep South - he bought lots of veg. and was challenged by a large black lady - 'you goinn' to eat all that!' and I think how people are raised does depend on how they eat later on.

Mum simply didn't have extra money for sweeties, whereas now I see them queueing at the village shop as they step off the School bus  :o

honeybun

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:09 PM »

Plenty around me gave kids lots and lots of sweets.

My daughter will still go on about how few she got as a child. I can honestly say I never handed a full bar of chocolate or packet of sweets to my kids.
They used to bounce off the walls after a party when sweets abound.
My son is nearly 27 and has no fillings.....and no sweet tooth.

My daughter likes a bit of chocolate but very little especially now as she is lactose intolerant.

I really think parents should think more about what especially young kids are eating.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 06:52:58 PM »

eer - I couldn't get used to less sugar  ::) and soft drink choices in Pubs is boring and probably sugar loaded  …… so I usually opt for black tea. 

honeybun

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 06:56:32 PM »

I don't like very sugary things especially soft drinks, they make me thirsty.

I haven't added sugar to anything for decades.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »

Nope.  Bl.T2sugars ……… what I can't drink are herbal or flavoured teas  ;D ….. and I have fads on what I will drink …… when really thirsty it has to be fizzy ……. last night I opened a bottle of beer  :o for 3 mouthfuls.  Didn't help much  ::)

honeybun

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »

Beer CLKD , three mouthfuls......steady on now  ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 07:43:26 PM »

I know.  He was away and I was drinking alone  :o

honeybun

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »

Oh that's a rocky road.....solitary drinking .....you need to watch that one  ;D ;D

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 07:48:24 PM »

:lol:  now 'rocks' - aren't they ice cubes over which whisky is poured  :P

honeybun

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 08:17:26 PM »

Only for Sassenachs  ;D

Try that up here and you would get lynched  ::)

Honeybun
X

Ju Ju

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2015, 09:03:31 PM »

If you look at labels, like I have to for others reasons, you would be shocked to find out how much sugar is added to processed food. Even foods you wouldn't have thought had sugar in do and usually in cheaper brands, eg peanut butter, even chips, crisps. Sugar is often listed under other names, eg dextrose. You often have to pay more for foods without sugar in them.

When I was advised to avoid sugar, one easy quick way was to avoid processed foods. I eat something sugary everyday for a treat now in order not to lose more weight, but I am confident that the rest of my diet (when I'm cooking anyway!) is sugar free.

In the USA it even more difficult to avoid sugar and each time I go there it is reflected in the growing size of the people I meet, who have associated health problems. Eating out is much cheaper there.

Cheap, quick food is full of sugar.

Whatever you think of Jamie Oliver, if he can highlight the dangers of high, hidden consumption, then I'm for it. But I would prefer, sugar free foods could be cheaper than food with sugar in it! Taxing sugar laden food will mean there won't be any cheap food.

Joyce

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2015, 09:19:28 PM »

I detest very sugary foods nowadays. My kids got very few sweets as kids. Other parents used to hand out sweets Willy nilly. My two thought I was being a party pooper. I also never gave them too much real food. I have seen young kids of 5 eat more than I could even contemplate.  Daughter has has a couple of fillings, son none. Daughter craves sugar from time to time. Son would rather have bag of crisps.

I do eat chocolate, but it's very dark. I will occasionally eat a few jelly babies but that's about it.

I try to cook from scratch most nights, it was how I was brought up. Daughter & son eat in a similar fashion.

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 02:41:37 PM »

Since the mid-1970s there has been more processed, ready meals etc. available - more Mums went to work therefore for looking for quick fix at meal times.  Also Schools stopped doing Domestic Science lessons so children had a gap in education and weren't offered cooking lessons.  So it's become a grab from the shelf and go, 1 only has to watch young children eating in the shopping trolleys before the item as been paid for! usually sweets or sugar-filled cakes, never fruit/veg..

Mum didn't have money for sweeties ….. end of.  Cooking from scratch takes time and children don't get exercise to burn off calories from ready meals etc..
Pages: [1] 2 3