Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Best place to rub oestrogel  (Read 46965 times)

Uptick

Re: Best place to rub oestrogel
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 02:32:00 PM »

Hi Brit66 and thanks for mentioning Sandrena. The difference is that Sandrena has propylene glycol which increases viscosity by absorbing water, amongst other functions. A more viscous gel can be rubbed in 'gently' to allow it to be spread more evenly. 🙂

Brit66

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2020, 09:02:22 PM »

Hi Brit66 and thanks for mentioning Sandrena. The difference is that Sandrena has propylene glycol which increases viscosity by absorbing water, amongst other functions. A more viscous gel can be rubbed in 'gently' to allow it to be spread more evenly. 🙂

Oh I see,  interesting! Thanks for the information  ;)

violetbat

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2020, 01:22:13 PM »

I was originally alternating between thighs and upper arm/shoulder as the packet says. The relief was erratic and I definitely got less relief when I rubbed it on the inner thighs. A couple of months ago I switched to the inside of my arms and the difference in symptoms relief is palpable- flushes pretty well gone whereas on the inner thighs I still got sweats at night..
I will also try on lower leg where the skin is thinner.
I have no idea whether to rub or not. There seem to be so many difference in opinion on that matter.

Hi violetbat, the patient information leaflet says to 'spread the gel', not to rub. I've checked this with the manufacturer and some menopause docs, they agree that hydroalcoholic gels are not supposed to be rubbed, once you spread the gel the alcohol will evaporate and the estradiol molecules will permeate through your skin. Rubbing will only make you lose estradiol to your hands.

Interesting- though would you not simply absorb what was on your hands?

Flan747

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 01:38:49 PM »

I get so confused about rubbing or spreading the gel and also where to put it! Currently using 4 sachets and I rub twice a day to inner thighs and still absorb poorly

violetbat

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2020, 01:42:24 PM »

I get so confused about rubbing or spreading the gel and also where to put it! Currently using 4 sachets and I rub twice a day to inner thighs and still absorb poorly
inner thighs was rubbish for me- inside of arms much better.

Uptick

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2020, 03:30:24 PM »

I was originally alternating between thighs and upper arm/shoulder as the packet says. The relief was erratic and I definitely got less relief when I rubbed it on the inner thighs. A couple of months ago I switched to the inside of my arms and the difference in symptoms relief is palpable- flushes pretty well gone whereas on the inner thighs I still got sweats at night..
I will also try on lower leg where the skin is thinner.
I have no idea whether to rub or not. There seem to be so many difference in opinion on that matter.

Hi violetbat, the patient information leaflet says to 'spread the gel', not to rub. I've checked this with the manufacturer and some menopause docs, they agree that hydroalcoholic gels are not supposed to be rubbed, once you spread the gel the alcohol will evaporate and the estradiol molecules will permeate through your skin. Rubbing will only make you lose estradiol to your hands.

Interesting- though would you not simply absorb what was on your hands?

First of all, you're supposed to wash your hands after spreading the gel to minimise contamination of other people, pets and surfaces. Hands have a very small area and the skin can   have tiny cracks so it's not advisable to let the gel stay on them. Besides, we're frequently washing, applying alcohol gel and moisturising them, so it wouldn't be practical or advisable to mix these things with estradiol.

Flan747

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2020, 05:06:24 PM »

I always wash my hands and sometimes worry I’ve lost a lot of the gel because of it if that makes sense!

Joaniepat

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2020, 05:36:00 PM »

I used to spread it on with the back of a desert spoon.
JP x

Uptick

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2020, 10:49:08 PM »

I always wash my hands and sometimes worry I’ve lost a lot of the gel because of it if that makes sense!
Don't worry, the amount of gel that goes to the palm of your hand is not going to make any difference in terms of waste, but it could affect others (mainly pets and small children) on a daily basis if you don't wash your hands.

Cassie

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »

I have been using the gel the same way for over 14 yrs and its worked wonderfully well. I alternate legs and rub it in well until its dry. I do this at night in bed and if I use my one hand to rub the gel, I use my other to apply a night cream to my face. I never wash my hands, too lazy to get out of bed again.  ;D

Uptick

« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »

I have been using the gel the same way for over 14 yrs and its worked wonderfully well. I alternate legs and rub it in well until its dry. I do this at night in bed and if I use my one hand to rub the gel, I use my other to apply a night cream to my face. I never wash my hands, too lazy to get out of bed again.  ;D

Glad it's working for you, maybe you don't even need it after all this time. Have you had your estradiol blood levels tested recently? When you're asleep you can touch and scratch your eyes, nose, even breasts and nether regions, so I think washing your hand is a small price to pay. Get out of bed, lady  ;D

Cassie

« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2020, 03:28:23 PM »

I havent recently, I go by symptoms, which I dont really have. I only use one pump and sometimes half a pump, dont want to stop though as I am sure I will get hot flushing again.

Uptick

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »

I havent recently, I go by symptoms, which I dont really have. I only use one pump and sometimes half a pump, dont want to stop though as I am sure I will get hot flushing again.

Thanks, so you're not the typical HRT user, because 2 pumps is usually the average dose. You have to agree with me that for women using 2-4 pumps, washing their hands after applying the gel should be the norm.

Cassie

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2020, 10:22:56 AM »

I have never washed my hands in the 15 yrs I have been using the gel, and I used to use 2 pumps, but not disagreeing with you, I never thought about it to be honest.

Sage 🍃

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2020, 11:00:10 AM »

I have never washed my hands in the 15 yrs I have been using the gel, and I used to use 2 pumps, but not disagreeing with you, I never thought about it to be honest.

Of course, sweetie. I just think generalisations could be dangerous and why not follow the instructions? Hand washing is the new sexy  ::) Stay safe!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5