Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: All new to me!  (Read 2328 times)

MrsDJB

All new to me!
« on: October 19, 2015, 12:58:34 PM »

Hi

I'm Deb & just turned 41. I naively thought I wouldn't need to think about all things menopause for a good while - that was until May this year when an ovarian cyst rupture caused an infection that damaged my pelvic organs.

I had surgery a month ago so am in surgical menopause. My consultant started me on Femoston conti (low dose) within 48 hours as I started experiencing hot flushes very quickly post surgery - they think my hormone levels had been pretty poor since May.

4 weeks on, & hot flushes are less frequent, otherwise not really noticed many other symptoms. I think my focus is still on surgery recovery at the moment.  Poor sleep patterns are the norm for me anyway - the joys of a toddler who is a poor sleeper.

I'm fortunate to be given regular appointments with my Consultant, & I trust him so plan to follow his guidance on HRT. The different types of HRT all seem quite complicated so as long as I continue to feel ok I plan to keep with the Femoston. Xxx

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: All new to me!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:44:06 PM »

:welcomemm:  you will see whilst browsing here that the old fashioned thoughts on HRT have been updated  ;)

Let us know how you get on!

Hurdity

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:18:37 PM »

Hi MrsDJB

:welcomemm:  from me too!

Sorry to hear about your cyst and yes sadly flushes are to be expected especially when plunged into surgical menopause. At your young age you need plenty of oestrogen to protect heart and bones at least until the natural average age of menopause of 51-52.

I presume you had a hysterectomy as well as ovary removal? If not I can see why you have been given Femoston conti which contains a progestogen to protect the womb lining. If you also had a hysterectomy then I'm not sure why you have been given Femoston conti unless you previously had endometriosis? I presume as it was the consultant who prescribed it, it will be one of these reasons (you still have your womb or had endo?).

You will probably need to increase the dose at some point - but glad your flushes are less frequent for the time being. :) Increasing HRT slowly is the way forward - to minimise side effects! If they don't go then be sure to ask for an increased dose.

Hurdity x

MrsDJB

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:05:58 PM »

Hi Hurdity

Yes - as well as the ovaries they did an abdominal hysterectomy, appendectomy, plus some work on my bowel & bladder. The infection really did its worst!

I did have Endometrosis - apparently very severely (grade 4) but I'm one of those people who didn't have loads of Endo symptoms (outside period time) so if had gone untreated for a long time.

The plan is for my Consultant rather than the GP to help me manage my HRT & I'm comfortable with that.

Many thanks
Deb