Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Follow us on Twitter and Facebook

media

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Big Ben  (Read 7714 times)

Winterose

Re: Big Ben
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2015, 10:16:40 AM »

Tourism is incalculable to London, any time you visit its full of visiting Chinese, Japanese etc all spending their money and aiding the economy so I feel money well spent, agree with Honey bun over Holyrood, with so many beautiful buildings in Edinburgh why did they chose to build a monstrosity that costs the tax payer s a fortune ( cant recall the figures) each month in repairs.  Also allowing another ugly hotel to go up in centre of city ,  designed by foreigners, makes me tremble to think what the SNP will do when they get their independence.  Disappear I suppose,  once they get what they stand for and leave someone else to clear up the mess.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2015, 01:09:55 PM »

:thankyou:  Scampi, so well put whereas I ramble along knowing what I mean  ::)

There are many buildings in the UK that looked OK initially - but soon 'date'.  There is a new build locally (Council Offices) which in five year's time will look awful, they are completely 'out of place' architecturally.  Had a member of the public wanted to build something similar they would have been advised that the "Plans are not in keeping" ……. OK have a brand new building inside but at least face it with something 'local'  >:(.  Now the same Council wants to put car parking on flood plain ….

honeybun

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2015, 02:34:15 PM »

Councils only apply rules to others and not to themselves.

We currently have two massive offshore wind turbines being trialled along the coast from us. The council initially said there were to be no structures over a certain size to be build in keeping with local planning regs. Then they changed the regulations to accommodate these bloody great monstrosities.
I think it all comes down to money and who has a councillor in their back pocket.

Cynical.....who me  ::)

Honeybun
X

Joyce

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »

We are about to get a carbuncle built in town. Public protests & objections have fallen on deaf ears. It's being built, end of.  Millions being spent on project. Most wanted open space, which would have given our City the defined centre it's been craving. There is a beautiful building which would have attracted tourists, instead it's going to be hidden yet again.

CLKD

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2015, 03:24:40 PM »

Don't get me started on wind turbines  :bang: :bang: :bang:

Dulciana

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2015, 06:20:42 PM »

and is now starting to fall down.....Honeybun X

Is it?? :o

honeybun

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »

Yes it is....at one point part of a ceiling came down.

Wind turbines CLKD.....they are small compared to these...these can be seen from the ruddy moon.

Honeybun
X

CLKD

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2015, 06:24:39 PM »

Made of concrete for starters  :bang: :bang: :bang: …….. and transported from Germany in most cases - so not green then?

Joyce

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »

Mr Trump has been moaning about turbines up here for ages. Might spoil view from his golf course. What about the poor locals who have had to put up with him digging up land, without so much as a by your leave!

Sorry moan over!

Dulciana

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2015, 08:46:43 AM »

Mr. Trump.......... >:(    Personally,  I think it's all wrong that someone from overseas comes here and throws his weight about so much.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015, 08:52:19 AM by Dulciana »

Joyce

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2015, 09:47:43 AM »

I agree totally Dulciana! He's quite obnoxious!!!
Pages: 1 [2]