Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Author Topic: Qlaira - the new kid on the block?  (Read 9527 times)

Briony

Qlaira - the new kid on the block?
« on: October 24, 2015, 03:36:20 PM »

A number of people have PM'd me about Qlaira, so thought I'd do a quick summary of my experiences as I seem to be the main poster taking it.

- Qlaira is one of the first bio-identical birth control pills to be introduced in the UK. It one of the lowest dose BCPs available, so suits people who may not be able to take a conventional pill. It was designed for peri menopausal ladies and those with heavy bleeds. My doctor described it as 'a HRT with contraceptive properties'. The average estrogen dose is 2mg (similar to Femeston 2/10's estrogen).

- It has four phases over 28 days - 2 days of 3mg estrogen; a week of 2mg estrogen with progesterone; nearly all of the remainder of the month with the same estrogen but slightly more progesterone; 2 days of 1mg  estrogen and 2 days of blank pills. This reduces the likelihood of the sudden dips some ladies get during the 'blank pill week' on conventional pills.

- The varying doses, combined with the complex 'if you miss a pill' rule initially made me feel uneasy. In reality, it was genuinely never an issue. The only noticeable thing I've seen between phases is  increased libido during the 3mg days (of which there are sadly only two)  ::)

- It is new (to this country - very popular in Europe) and very expensive (though free to us as it's classed as a contraceptive). For these reasons, GPs tend to be reticent about prescribing it. I was lucky in that the consultant, my GP and the FCP doctor had all received recent training and knew about its benefits.

- For me, the advantages were: none of the 'dips' I had after taking progesterone in sequential hrt (I took patches and Utrogestan previously); improved skin; massive reduction in amount of blood during period/withdrawal bleed (some months I don't bleed at all); no migraine (fingers crossed) since taking it; less of the 'faffing' I had with patches and Utrogestan (I was always forgetting when to start the Utro or when to change a patch); more of a feeling of consistency than I had with sequential treatment; much less hair loss (but initially this was worse); feeling more like my peers (I am 43).

- Initially I had side effects which started on day 8 (so must be due to the Dienogest). I had 48 hours of intense itching and a little spotting. This made me panic. My hair shed for two months, but not again (in fact, it's better now than it has been in a while). I had breast pain towards the end of the pack occasionally. Longer term side effects were random fatigue and nausea, but this has lessened every month  (plus it was miles, miles worse before when taking nothing, so I dont think this is necessarily a side effect, but more due to my previous very low estrogen levels).

- By month four the side effects had disappeared, apart from the spotting. This was very occasional but always occurred literally hours after feeling a bit wobbly. Never lasted for more than 36 hours.

- There was only one month when I felt physically and mentally aware of the fact I was on the two blank pill days. The other 8 months, it was absolutely  fine.

- Recently, I have started having heavier  bleeds on day 14 which last for a few days. When talking to my doctor, she said this was not related to the phasing of the pill (that's the time the dosing is steadiest) so must instead by a sign that my own hormones are still bouncing around in the background. Risk wise, the fact Qlaira is bio identical and such a low dose is a positive; however, it does mean for ladies with very erratic hormones, rather than 'almost menopausal' ones, it can be problematic as it's so much less potent than a conventional pill and therefore not quite so controlling.

I have therefore decided to experiment with a stronger pill. Looking at the Avon Pill Ladder, GRL's recent posts and those of others on the BCP for reasons other than contraception, I asked to go on Marvelon. Initially my doctor was reticent (as I have migraines and a family history of stroke at a younger age). However, being fit and healthy and not over weight (ish), she said this risk would be minimised. Afterwards, she confessed this was the pill she takes too, which I found reassuring. I also found the NHS risk guidelines for this pill which again, helped put things into perspective. (Quite something coming from the girl who's been anti artificial hormones all my life til now!).

In summary, Qlaira made a massive difference to me, both physically and emotionally, once it had had time to start working. I'd say month four was the turning point.  It confirmed that I needed something controlling rather than just a 'top up' and, despite how it appears on paper, it's very simple to take. I am moving to a conventional pill simply to see if the mid month bleeding and 'blips' stop. If the new pill doesnt work, then I will have no reservations with going back to Qlaira. My only worry is what if it suddenly stops working, as happened with Pixiegirl (see her posts in New Members around Dec 14/Jan 15).

In the light of recent threads, I do hope I don't sound too evangelical. I appreciate there is a risk taking pills like this and I fully understand why some prefer not to. However, if you're in the situation I was a year ago - 'Qlaira sounds great but I wish I knew more about real people's experiences of it', then I hope this post helps.   :)

B x

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 03:38:37 PM by Briony »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Qlaira - the new kid on the block?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:39:50 PM »

That is so useful!  Any experiences should give others informed choice!

How are you on the new regime: too early to tell yet?

Briony

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 03:55:03 PM »

Too scared to start, if truth be told!  ;D

Peterspots

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 04:03:08 PM »

Do you know if this would help with bladder/pelvic pressure. I was on evorel but appeared to have joint pain as a side effect. Off for approx 2 weeks & joint pains much better. Though stopping the  oestrogen I started a period where I have flooded and my urethral/bladder pelvic pain is worse. This may be because of the period. I am waiting another week & then the consultant has prescribed oestrogen & evorel/estradot 25 act the same time. She did say the BCP may be an option to keep my hormone levels dipping in and out. I am 2 months away from 50. I am going to email my consultant as I didn't ask all the questions I wanted to. I have a swollen/thickened urethra which I have been told Is hormonal. I am also on vagifem. I am doing a 2 week dose again as my urethra is very sore.

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »

That comment has reminded me of how painful and 'full' my urethra felt each time I had a bleed.  Sometimes it felt like my bottom would fall out  :-\ ……. I kind of knew it was hormonal but never thought to discuss it with anyone  ::)

Your GP can prescribe medication to ease heavy bleeds should they become problematic.  Let us know how you get on with the 2 week re-load of the Vagifem.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:27:14 PM by CLKD »

Briony

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 04:26:30 PM »

Do you know if this would help with bladder/pelvic pressure. I was on evorel but appeared to have joint pain as a side effect. Off for approx 2 weeks & joint pains much better. Though stopping the  oestrogen I started a period where I have flooded and my urethral/bladder pelvic pain is worse. This may be because of the period. I am waiting another week & then the consultant has prescribed oestrogen & evorel/estradot 25 act the same time. She did say the BCP may be an option to keep my hormone levels dipping in and out. I am 2 months away from 50. I am going to email my consultant as I didn't ask all the questions I wanted to. I have a swollen/thickened urethra which I have been told Is hormonal. I am also on vagifem. I am doing a 2 week dose again as my urethra is very sore.

If the cause is hormonal, then it could well help (along with the Vagifem). It would certainly help keep your hormones more balanced, especially if you were previously on a sequential regime. It wont be as powerful as the pill, as the estrogen is bio identical, but could be a useful 'middle ground' to try?