Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Menopause Matters magazine ISSUE 76 out now. (Summer issue, June 2024)

media

Author Topic: blood results back  (Read 3322 times)

mandypepe

blood results back
« on: October 19, 2015, 11:47:26 AM »

I've got my blood results back this morning. One is serum FSH level which is 15.8u/L and the other reading is serum LH level which is 15.1u/L. I've had these printed so I can look at them and work them out but the doctor says it's safe to say I'm menopausal and explains all my other symptoms. Would you all agree?

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: blood results back
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 11:55:08 AM »

What has your GP suggested on the back of these results?

mandypepe

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 12:00:26 PM »

She says to record moods, thoughts, pain, periods, patterns etc and basically to see how it goes for now. But she us aware that I'm seeing a herbalist this afternoon to see what she can do for me. She said bloods aren't reliable really but going on my symptoms it's safe to say I'm menopausal. I forgot to ask how high these results are compared to the norm (altho I don't know my norm).  Infact I don't know much about any of this. I even wonder if I'm making it all up because I had a period last week - although pain and blood pattern totally different to my usual ones.

Hurdity

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 12:02:39 PM »

I'm not overly familiar with these particualr blood tests - only that FSH is very variable both throughout the menstural cycle and even more so during peri-menopause. Also that it is recommended that docs do not sue them to determine whether a woman is peri-menopausal because of this variability, if they are over 45 and experiencing classic symptoms of irregular periods and flushes/sweats.

Looking at the reference range these readings do not seem high at all so I'm surprised your docs has said this. It depends when in your cycle the blood tests were done.These are the ref ranges:
LH http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=476774467
FSH http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/simplepage.cfm?ID=436600899

However if you have symptoms and the doc is prepared to say you are peri-menopausal based on these then that's fine - it's when the converse happens that is worrying ie when a doc denies that it can be peri-menopause based on blood tests alone and ignoring symptoms.

Are you looking for treament at this point to alleviate symptoms or are you happy to continue with this knowledge for the time being? If you are under 45 then you should think about HRT especially towards late peri-menopause, and if this happens before the age of 51-52 as you will definitely benefit from HRT to help protect your hear and bones at least until this age - the natural average age of menopause.

Hurdity x

CLKD

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:44 PM »

Not making it up and your GP sounds on the ball.  Hormones fluctuate which causes all kinds of symptoms.  Let us know how your appt. goes later today. 

Perhaps once she has seen today's Press releases she will be happy to discuss HRT if required  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 12:06:09 PM »

PS just seen your post - you can see fromn the ref range what the usual range is. Re the herbalist - I probably mentioned on another post of yours about this. What do you want from the herbalist? Beware of being "prescribed" expensive supplements is all I would say at this point and concentrate on a healthy diet, getting rid of excess weight, taking more exercise and other lifestyle measures to ensure you are as healthy as you can be. Reducing caffeine and alcohol will help minimise the effects of sweats, and taking exercis each day ( 30 mins walk or the equivalnet) can do wonders for mood! I've probably said this already  :)

Hurdity x

mandypepe

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 12:15:59 PM »

Thanks for replying so quickly the both of you. I really appreciate your time. I had a period on Wednesday night and the tests were done last Monday so she said going on this the bloods should have been lower really. I'm 45. The doctor mentioned HRT when I first saw her a few weeks ago but I said about herbal route at the moment. All I've heard is the negative things of HRT so I do need to look at that. Ivevreally no idea what I'm expecting from the herbalist. I suppose something that can make me feel my old self again. If only it was that easy. I've not had sweats but more the negative thoughts, confusion, forgetful, paranoia that I'm crap at work, tripping up, ache and tingles in left arm, discharge, not wanting sex, hating and loving my husband, tearful, anxious , and one missed period in September. The one I had last week had hardly any pain and real heavy.

mandypepe

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:16:57 PM »

Forgot to say I walk my dog and I'm pretty healthy food wise and alcohol. But I do need to quit caffeine.

mandypepe

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:26:12 PM »

I've just looked at the links hurdity. Totally contradicting mine aren't they. The doctor said if mine was 10 that would be high aswell. I'm now really baffled!!

CLKD

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:26:41 PM »

Keep on with the exercise.  Herbals can help in a few cases but once hormones begin to over-ride herbals then HRT can be considered. 

Where had you 'heard' the negativity about HRT?  I try to advise quality of Life  ;) because that bus might be along …… today's Media interest and more recent recearch due to be published in November should encourage GPs to be more positive.

I paid for herbal medications years ago for something un-related to menopause.  It was the 'don't drink coffee' with these tablets that made me wonder  ::) ……… remember you don't have to pay for anything today, you can go away 'to consider'  ;)

mandypepe

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 12:31:58 PM »

Thank you. I will. I will go and discuss and see where it goes but I will come away first. I've never looked into HRT so I would imagine it's the media brain washing thing. I will look at what's happening today about it and start to make an informed choice. By the way, when I got my period on Wednesday till now I have no fogginess and feel clear headed. Aren't bodies bizarre?

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:44:57 PM »

Aren't they !  also heavy bleeding can be eased by medication Trano?? acid ……. I can never remember the name of the medication  :-\  :-X

BrightLight

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »

Hi Mandy
Your experiences sound similar to mine, in that the I missed a period and also they changed to being heavier and just different.  I also have no sweats to speak of but other vague symptoms, this is all pre menopause stuff, I would not rely too heavily on the blood test results but as you say your GP is going by symptoms too, which is good.

How did you get on with the herbalist?

From my understanding, at this point in our lives ovulation becomes erratic and therefore production of hormones does as well, this 'upsets' the cycle and symptoms and changes to periods appear.  Some months you might not ovulate and progesterone is not produced, your period might not appear or it might be late and heavy.  Your body might ovulate later or earlier and the timing of your period will be different.

Any treatment, whether herbal or HRT is aimed at balancing these hormones to reduce symptoms as the body goes through these natural changes. 

I have often tried to work out where I am on the process since I had a very high FSH and LH reading in January which indicated post menopause, however six weeks later the results were low, I have learnt to go with things as they change - if you do test the bloods again, you need at least 2 readings to get a stronger idea of where you are but in general hormones will go up and down and readings the same until hormones are really low for a while and the blood test readings will show higher and higher values and remain that way. It isn't usual to do this though.

CLKD

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »

HORMONES  >:(  ::) …...