Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Not a Forum member? You can still subscribe to our Free Newsletter

media

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Doctors appointment this morning!  (Read 3485 times)

LouE

Doctors appointment this morning!
« on: October 19, 2015, 09:13:18 AM »

Saw him re my blood pressure, and also gave him the list of symptoms im going through......hot flashes, nausea, mood swings, periods starting again properly but not regular one time its 4 weeks apart next its 2, zero interest in sex, infact tried to have nookie yesterday and it was sore, gave up!

His response is we cant automatically blame this on the menopause!! But hes sending me for a hormone blood test! My mirena coil is about 4 yrs old so thats getting changed in 2 weeks time too, hope the new one settles everything!

LouE

Re: Doctors appointment this morning!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 10:36:19 AM »

No im happy hes going for the blood test, but gonna push this, if he doesnt agree then ill ask to go to the menopause clinic for clarification!

Limpy

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 10:39:55 AM »

What a prat.
When you see him next tell him the soreness in the nookie department needs something to relieve it - now.
I don't know enough to say whether a new mirena coil will help in that area.
Good luck.

Dancinggirl

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 10:42:45 AM »

Hi and welcome to MM LouE

Sounds like early meno symptoms to me - good you are having some blood tests though these are rarely conclusive and your GP should be going by your symptoms. If you are getting sore then some local oestrogen should help.  Lubrication for sex is also a good idea.
The new guidelines on treating the meno will be out in November - keep checking this site to get the info and you can then show them to your GP. 
Do read up all the info on this site to get clued up.  Keep us posted.  DG x

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »

Your GP is correct!  Not everything should be put down to menopause. 

GPs need a starting point.  Hormone blood tests are notoriously un-reliable  ::).  In the mean time, make notes from here so that you have something to chat with your GP.  Make a double appt.? and do let us know.

Have a look-see at todays national Press too  ;)

LouE

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 11:40:55 AM »

I get that its not always the menopause but ive had a 24 hr heart monitor for palpitations, scans to check for endometriosis due to pain, checks for rheumatoid arthritis, along with many more blood test, thyroids ok, kidneys ok, bp is high though.  Surely if he looks at my record to see ive had all these tests that are inconclusive it could be this?

These symptoms have been going on for a few years now, but the mood swings, hot flashes and low libido are new.

CLKD

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 11:54:16 AM »

Also, who knows our body the best  ::)

LouE

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 12:03:14 PM »

Exactly!

Sparkle im 46 in december

CLKD

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:04:03 PM »

I'm a December baby too  ;)

Hurdity

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »

Hi LouE

Because you have a Mirena then the doc will not be able to go on the classic symptoms of irregular periods to determine whether you are peri-menopausal but shoiuld instead go on symptoms. Hot flushes, reduced libido and vaginal problems are all classic symptoms - whatever your blood tests say - and as you say you have been investigated for other things.

A new Mirena will help with none of these ( and can also exacerbate libido and other problems). What it will do is to protect your endometrium should you wish to take oestrogen replacement. It is puzzling though that you are still having periods while on the Mirena because usually these will disappear once peri-menopause starts although because bleeding can be heavy during peri-menopause, they can re-appear ( so I understand).

You would definitely benefit from local oestrogen as Dancinggirl says, irrespective of blood tests result ie Vagifem or Ovestin/Gynest cream. This will prevent the soreness and needs to be started asap and continued indefinitely.

Hurdity x

LouE

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »

Im going to a different place for the coil, its the same place that has the menopause clinic in it so will also speak to the doc there too.

CLKD

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »

Could you ring the Surgery to ask for the treatment sooner rather than later?  I find Ovestin1mg useful - initially inserted at night for 2 weeks then used every 3 and 7/8th night.  Keeps tissues plumped and eases nookie  ;)

LouE

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 12:45:48 PM »

That was the quickest appointment i could get, both for a blood test and the coil. Im not sure what hes going say re the nookie soreness, thats why i think if i mention it at the coil appointment, at the well woman clinic, im more likely to get better advice? Surely the doc there will be more clued up on it?

LouE

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 01:39:40 PM »

You would think the doc would mKe the link too eh! Although my mums amused that its just occurred to me thats what this most likely is!

CLKD

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 01:41:08 PM »

2 weeks is quite a while to wait ……. however  ;) - let us know. Maybe your Surgery has a Practice Nurse if you want more advice?
Pages: [1] 2