Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Got a story to tell for the magazine? Get in touch with the editor!

media

Author Topic: Converting pills, patches and gels  (Read 2735 times)

Briony

Converting pills, patches and gels
« on: October 17, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »

Once again, there has been a lot of discussion recently about dose equivalents. While we all accept that this is not an exact science, due to the different methods of absorption, I know many of us still seek some sort of answer almost for peace of mind or even just out of interest.

My doctor has always said my 2mg pill is the equivalent of a 100mcg  patch (so a 50mcg patch is like a 1 mg pill).  I felt noticeably better when I went from a 50mcg patch to a 2 mg pill.

This conversion is similar to what it suggests here:
               http://www.earlymenopause.com/hrt_equiv.htm

However, many of us have been told differently, as this illustrates:

http://www.menopause.org.au/for-women/information-sheets/426-ams-guide-to-equivalent-hrt-doses

http://www.menopausematters.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,25243.msg386811.html#msg386811

Even on this site, there seems to be (or was) a slight difference in what is termed 'medium' and 'high' doses for peri menopause and post menopause.

I know Prof Studd, on his site, suggests that 200mcg of patch is equivalent to 4-5 pumps of gel (both of which are what he recommends for suppression of ovulation in people with PMS).

At the end of the day, it's all about how the individual feels regardless of the dose, so to some extent, this is all irrelevant. But it does surprise me that there are some differences, even within the medical world.

What do you think?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:20:18 PM by Briony »

CLKD

• changes can be scary, even when we want them
Re: Converting pills, patches and gels
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 03:16:42 PM »

;D  - that's sums and I don't do sums  ::)

Would weight have impact?

Briony

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »

Hey, CLKD ... I'm getting deja vu. Seem to remember once before you rescuing my post when I was quickly becoming Billy No Mates!  :-*

It is sums, but with no answer book -  you then add in random hormones and it's anyone's guess! x

CLKD

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »

Bit like Strictly then  ;)

At least in the West we have choice  :-\ - I was watching migrants coming into Slovenia earlier and it crossed my mind that they may not have health access that we takes for granted.

Briony

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 07:19:37 PM »

Wise words, CLKD. HRT, ADs etc are such a luxury - as is choice.

x

CLKD

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »

Have a look at Dr Currie's last request - there's hope at last!  Choice as well as quality of Life.